• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One M8 Hard Brick - black screen - no response

nxs

Lurker
Mar 30, 2016
The phone won't boot at all, I've tried all the volume+power button combinations possible, not a single response/vibration. I installed the htc sync/drivers and it's not recognized on my pc, doesnt appear in device manager or adb devices. The power led turns on when I plug it in at least.

Backstory as you'd ask how someone could manage this: I was running a mostly stock 4.4.4 rom for the past month, no problems here. Decided to upgrade to this 6.0 rom (MRA58K.H11), opted for some tweaks in aroma, nothing too special,
it ran with no problems for the evening. Today the alarm ringed at 9am, I disabled it, woke up at ~11am and here we are, black screen.

I was running TWRP and had no problems with 6.0 roms in the past.

Yep, just meant roughly how much charge when you last looked. How old is the phone, and are you in UK? If it won't boot to anything then there's not much I can suggest to help, and maybe just unfortunate but sudden emmc failure can happen. If you're in UK then it's a 2 year warranty period, and HTC are usually pretty good on warranty front since it happened whilst you were taking an OTA update - didn't it ;)

Upvote 0
They can't see it being unlocked if phone won't boot to bootloader, and I seriously doubt that a network carrier will have the tech skills or kit needed to resurrect the phone. And I wouldn't worry about using htcdev either, even if you were going back to HTC direct I haven't come across it being an issue. Had another user on here recently with a hardware failure who had bought the phone new on ebay and HTC replaced it no problem.

Upvote 0
? Still no. You realise that the post you linked to is for a different device? And that Scotty's post is pointing out that you need s-off to manually flash firmware, and that later bootloaders on certain carriers don't seem to support temp booting into eg recovery using 'fastboot boot'. None of which helps the OP since they can't boot to anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones