• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I had a boot loop after I edit the system.prop files. Can somebodya help me.

Did you make a nandroid bakup before meddling with the root files??
Which file did you change? could you please tell the location of the system.prop file you are talking about...

You can replace the file if you make a flashable zip and use cwm to erase the edited file and replace it with your bakup, i don't know how to make one but if you have any .zip file i think the updater script can be edited to do your job.

Upvote 0
Did you make a nandroid bakup before meddling with the root files??
Which file did you change? could you please tell the location of the system.prop file you are talking about...

You can replace the file if you make a flashable zip and use cwm to erase the edited file and replace it with your bakup, i don't know how to make one but if you have any .zip file i think the updater script can be edited to do your job.

I edit a file call system.prop in the system files.
My phone is rooted and I use ES Explorer to edit it.
Flashable zip? You mean some kind like 'update.zip'?:thinking:

Upvote 0
yes exactly like that, now i am not able to find this system.prop, if you can tell me where it is in the file system i might be able to make a zip file.
Tell me exactly where it is, like if i need an address to the systemui app it would be /system/app/systemui.apk OR ringtones like /system/media/audio/ringtones/abc.ogg

now i know it'll be difficult for u since your phone is in bootloop, but try and give me hint, i'll find it in my system.

Are you sure the name is system.prop and not build.prop or default.prop??
Upload the file that you backed up.

Upvote 0
yes exactly like that, now i am not able to find this system.prop, if you can tell me where it is in the file system i might be able to make a zip file.
Tell me exactly where it is, like if i need an address to the systemui app it would be /system/app/systemui.apk OR ringtones like /system/media/audio/ringtones/abc.ogg

now i know it'll be difficult for u since your phone is in bootloop, but try and give me hint, i'll find it in my system.

Are you sure the name is system.prop and not build.prop or default.prop??
Upload the file that you backed up.

Yes, you right it is 'build.prop' not 'system.prop'
I see it wrongly. Can you help with it?

Upvote 0
So u mean it worked?? and your phone is booting now?

Well i had a flashable zip for pushing apps into the sytem files, i edited the folder structure in the system section according to the locations of the build.prop in the root system.
Then all i had to do was edit the updater script so that instead of pushing the apps in, it pushed your file to the specified location and changed the permissions. Only thing i was uncertain was your rom, didn't know if it was ext or rfs system, so i just put in code for mounting both, whichever was your system it mounted it and i used a single command for unmounting it.
It was quite simple actually, just study a few updater scripts and you'll know what to do.

Upvote 0
Same thing on my Droid 3, played with the build.prop (trying to get 3G on my phone) and renamed it wrongly. Copied the update.zip to the SD and when I go to recovery mode to update the zip it says "E:signature verification failed", "Installation aborted"

Am I doing something wrong here?

:(

This is for samsung galaxy ace, yours is droid 3, now i am no developer so i don't know if there should be a difference in the script or not.
Did you replace the build.prop file with your own rom's build.prop file?

If you have some other zip file for pushing any apps/file into the system or any kind of zip file you have to flash through recovery for your phone, post it here, i can take a look.

Upvote 0
hi, can somebody please help me get my phone to boot again?

i have a galaxy ace s5839i on 2.3.6,
i rooted it yesterday, today i downloaded es explorer and changed the name of the device buy editing the file build.prop, i changed it to GT-I9100.

i copied the orignal build. prop file and pasted it on my sd card.

when i rebooted the phone it is now stuck in a boot loop.
i entered recovery mode and stupidly clicked on wipe/format phone. and stll in boot loop.

so i went back to recovery to look for my saved build.prop file and i cant find it.

if somebody can get back to me it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Ali

Upvote 0
hi, can somebody please help me get my phone to boot again?

i have a galaxy ace s5839i on 2.3.6,
i rooted it yesterday, today i downloaded es explorer and changed the name of the device buy editing the file build.prop, i changed it to GT-I9100.

i copied the orignal build. prop file and pasted it on my sd card.

when i rebooted the phone it is now stuck in a boot loop.
i entered recovery mode and stupidly clicked on wipe/format phone. and stll in boot loop.

so i went back to recovery to look for my saved build.prop file and i cant find it.

if somebody can get back to me it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Ali

What did you think will happen if you change your phone's name?? It will still be ACEi :D
What format phone option are you talking about? there is no wipe/format phone option in recovery. Or do you mean you did a factory reset from recovery??

You can either get a flashable zip for your phone, edit it a bit to delete current build file and place your original file back in the system, or you can install a fresh firmware through Odin.

Upvote 0
haha i wanted to use bbc iplayer so i tried changing it :L

and i want to install i new firmware all together if that is possible, i downloaded a new firmware of samfirmware.com for my device, i put it on my sd and tried doing it of recovery mode but i got this message can't open tmp side load package.zip (bad).

what can i do now?

thank you for getting back to me

Many Thanks,
Ali

Wow you are really trying very hard to kill your phone, you know just smashing it with a hammer will be a lot easier? :p

You got the firmware alright, but did you ever read anywhere how to install it, you can't flash that with recovery, you need to flash it with Odin via a computer. Now search for how to use Odin and do it properly, or you can just use the hammer :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones