• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have AT&T, unlimited messaging, and no data plan. How can I get MMS working on my Defy? =(

Crew

Jan 18, 2011
NJ
I have a Defy that's rooted, first off.. I've tried APNDroid, switched APN settings around, and no avail.

I have no data plan, but want to have 3G for messages and call coverage.

How can I set it up to send/receive MMS without ever touching mobile data or pushing data services?

Thanks all!

hi,

erm you cant, you'll need to call your provider and see if they can add it onto your account, i dont believe there is anyway of having 3G otherwise, on a side note 3G shouldnt have much to do with your call coverage directly, all you need to be worried about where thats concerned is signal strength.

As for sending MMS, again you'd need to call your provider, and they should offer it separatly to data plans, eg on my contract i have unlimited data usage and an allowance of 50 picture messages, as for receiving them i.e 'downloading' the MMS contents yes you will need data usage for that.

Upvote 0
I guess I should clarify, I have no mobile data plan, but my plan does have unlimited messaging and MMS included.

Picture messaging worked on my Nokia X6 just weeks ago, and worked on the Defy before I changed my APN to disable mobile data.

I just want to be able to send and receive MMS, without having settings that allow other applications to push mobile data. This has to be possible..?

Upvote 0
I am using Mytouch slide t-mobile phone with ATT. My picture messaging won't work. I contacted ATT as to why. The answer I got was that this is built into the phone and won't work with ATT. They told me there was no way to fix it. Does anyone know any more about this?
Would rooting have any effect on this issue?

Upvote 0
Hey guys I know this is kind of off topic, but I'am making a switch from an iphone 4 to a unlocked tmobile DEFY. I will use the phone on at&t. I am just wanting to know if yall are being charged for data plans on at&t. I didn't have a data plan for my iphone ( I didnt buy it from them so I wouldnt have to sign a two year contract and pay 25/month for internet, but their system keeps picking up that I am on an iphone and they put me on the 25 data plan) so do yall have data plans on at&t for your DEFY/mytouch or do yall know if it will automatically put one on my account? Also what kind of data plan do yall have on your DEFY/mytouch for at&t. thanks

Upvote 0
I have a Defy that's rooted, first off.. I've tried APNDroid, switched APN settings around, and no avail.

I have no data plan, but want to have 3G for messages and call coverage.

How can I set it up to send/receive MMS without ever touching mobile data or pushing data services?

Thanks all!

hey did you ever get it working? all you have to do is create a new APN with these settings only and exactly: leave every thing else blank.

NAME: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
PROXY:
PORT:
USERNAME:
PASSWORD:
SERVER:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY: wireless.cingular.com
MMS PORT: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
AUTHENTICATION TYPE:
APN TYPE: mms

by placing the 3 letters mms in the APN type you will notice that after you save it it is not a selectable APN but its still there and its active. Try that. I have also a motorola DEFY and am using H2O wireless prepaid that comes now with a 100MB/month data plan and unlimited mms. They use AT&T's network and at 49.99/month no taxes, thats pretty good. Also I reflashed my phone out of t-mobiles band to match what AT&T uses and I get 3G and H speeds. H is AT&T's HSDPA high speed network. The H is what is considered to be 3.5G. It's faster than 3G. This phone doesnt even accomplish this on tmobile's network which this phone was designed for. LOL

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of getting this phone or maybe waiting for the the defy+ for my wife. She has no dataplan but like you we have the unlimited family messaging plan (now with unlimited mobile to mobile). First you don't need a dataplan for MMS, but you need a data connection. Any traffic to/from the MMS address is not counted against you on the monthly bill. The problem is that the many apps on Android will attempt to connect from random reasons. I'm thinking I want a firewall on the cell connection network interface that I block all traffic on, and only have rules to allow traffic to the MMS and other required traffic that any non-smart phone requires for day to day use. I'm use to setting up iptables on my Linux box. Of course I can't discuss this with AT&T as they will hear Android and say the smartphone dataplan is required, even if I were to leave the data connection off all the time and only use data on WiFi.

Any insight to this phone with regard to how I want to use it would be great.

Upvote 0
What do I put in to make my texts work? when I got the GT-N7000 the Data, outgoing messages and MMS did not work.. now MMS works thanks you all, and incoming texts work and data H... now I cant figure out why my outgoing texts dont work.. AT&T acts like they cant help me since i didnt buy from themm so can someone help I need my texts thanks! :)

hey did you ever get it working? all you have to do is create a new APN with these settings only and exactly: leave every thing else blank.

NAME: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
PROXY:
PORT:
USERNAME:
PASSWORD:
SERVER:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY: wireless.cingular.com
MMS PORT: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
AUTHENTICATION TYPE:
APN TYPE: mms

Upvote 0
Yep. You don't need to pay for a data tariff,

but you do need to enable data on your phone (3g). Go in settings for that.

You've already paid for one kind of data service anyway (MMS).

MMS is an internet gateway so if you're phone doesn't have the APN settings* for MMS, go on your carrier website or call them & they can send you MMS settings by text (or go in their shop). Then make sure you have 3g enabled on your phone.

If there's no text message centre number in your settings then again, get your carrier to send them.

Upvote 0
Without data plan on tmobile, with unlimited text plan, mms works fine without any extra data charges as long as mobile data is enabled on the phone and apn settings are correct. If mobile data is always on, to avoid possible data charges from phone auto syncing, accidential internet access and what not, you can call tmobile to have them block all "per use data" on any line on your account and mms will still work. That did it on nexus4 and I did not need to modify apn settings at all since I bought the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones