1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Idiot's guide to unrooting?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Inno, May 22, 2012.

1. Inno

Inno Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing? I have a Desire that I succesfully rooted thanks to the patience and help from peeps on this forums (now running cyanogen mod 7) but having now upgraded to a One X, I wish to unroot this so I can sell it easier.

Watched a stack of youtube videos, and buried my head in threads here but can't seem to get anything to work, or get my head round it, which may be the bigger problem!

Is there an easy way to get the Desire back to either plain old vanilla HTC sense or the T-Mobile version of it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

It's so easy there's no guide.

Did you s-off? Flash custom Alpharev hboot?

If you flashed an Alpharev hboot, do these steps first:

1) go to Alpharev.nl and download the downgrader PB99IMG.zip and put it on the root of your sd card (I.e. not in any folders) rename it so its exactly PB99IMG.zip which IS case sensitive

2) boot hboot (from off hold vol down and press power) wait for 7 seconds then follow on-screen instructions

No Custom hboot or after above instructions followed

1. Get the 2.3.3 update ruu from shipped-roms.com (link in the "all things root guide")

2. Boot phone to fastboot (from off hold back and press power) and connect usb

3. Run ruu from windows pc

Inno, Tyseyh and nicka3200 like this.
  3. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert

Suroot, you're right it is very easy but maybe not that obvious when attempting for the first time. Perhaps this could be added to the root guide now that you've gone to the trouble of writing it.

4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

I thought a prerooted desire would be more sort after than a standard one as the device is out of warranty anyway now

Inno likes this.
  5. Inno

Inno Well-Known Member

See, you're dealing with an idiot here :D

what/where is the 2.3.3 update? I can only find a runnable RUU for 1.21 which returns error 140 and won't let me upgrade it?

Seriously, thanks for your help in this.

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Shipped-roms.com - look under android, then device name Bravo (HTC'S internal codename) - not Desire as that is the codename of a different device!

Inno likes this.
  7. Inno

Inno Well-Known Member

Possibly, but it's easier for me to just ship it off to one of those recycle mobile places.

Awesome!

All done and dusted. Thanks so much for everyone's help. My poor little desire... loved the phone, it got me into Android and rooting and whatnot. It served me well.

8. SUroot

Probably but I would ruu mine. A data wipe is fine but the data could possibly be recovered if s-off as the file is not really deleted. Just the corresponding db entry.

Perhaps format, write a really big file to /data then format again?!

9. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Maybe SUroot's explanation should be added to the stickies, as more and more people are going to be selling their Desires, it could become a more FAQ.

10. SUroot

I'll put it in the rooting faq or guide later

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews