• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If Hotspot is currently free...

DenverCZBob

Nov 17, 2010
I wanted to post this in a different thread but it's locked, so here we go.
I SBF'd back to 340, rooted, installed GB Rooted. Then installed the deodex GB update. Did NOT install any tether hacks. I was just wondering so I fired up Hotspot. My laptop went right through to the internet after connecting to my DroidX. So then I was thinking, didn't I read another thread that said Verizon was running a free promo for about a month with free hotspot?

-bob

Free for Thunderbolt phones I believe

Ok just brainstorming here... after reading the thread where the guy downloaded the Liberty ROM for the D2 on his DX, his phone was then listed, under his 'About Phone' menu, as a Droid 2.

So if we flash a Thunderbolt ROM (do they have any out for it yet?), then we can have free wifi hotspot!!!

:D

.... of course I'm kidding.

Upvote 0
lol @ tethering, i picked up my hp mini netbook with built in vzw mobile broadband for when i need something out on the go that i simply cant do from my phone.

if you really have a question about tethering you should direct it to VZW. I dont really believe all the hypebeasting going on about tethering being the devil and you'll be arrested or what not but honestly if you're that concerned about it and whether or not you are included in the promo call VZW and ask. You might not want to mention that you've rooted and installed a leaked version of Gingerblur though, lol... ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones