• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If I go Android what alternative apps are there for these that are just as good or better?

Peter22

Oct 29, 2019
Pushpin
Billminder
Air Video HD
Cheatsheet
Fantastical
Alarmed ~ reminders + timers
Alarmy Pro
Ad Guard
Wipr
Better Blocker
Apollo
Dark Sky
Cercube YouTube addon /jailbreak for default app
Plus many more I can’t remember right now

P.S. These are all iOS apps/some being jailbreak tweaks but only Cercube

Reactions: kapookna
As this is an Android forum, it would be a good guess that many of us here (not all) are not familiar with all of those apps or what they do.
(like me)

What would be helpful is for you to tell us what you want, and how you want it done.

Browser? (speed, security, ad-ons, etc.)
Ad-blocker? (hostfile or remote?)
and so on.

I will chance to guess at some of the list you provided.

Air Video HD
(My guess is a video player, maybe able to stream?)
VLC
can do both, and is also a music player.
The default 'Video Player' app will play most videos of common format

Alarmed
The default 'Clock' app will do what you listed.

Ad-Guard
Better Blocker
(I assume these are ad-blockers and tracking blockers?)
Blokada
is probably the all around best. Some browsers have an ad-blocking feature built in, as do some firewalls. In addition, some firewalls can actually be used as a means to block ads and tracking.
NetGuard
Noroot Firewall

Dark Sky
(my guess is that this is a dark theme?)
I believe that new Android OS have a dark theme option built into them.
Many apps also have a dark and even an amoled setting available, and the list of apps with this feature is always growing. Even the main app store, Google Play Store, now has a 'dark mode' setting available.

Cercube
(maybe an app that lets you download videos and not have to watch ads?)
NewPipe
is a FOSS (Free Open Source Software) app that takes all the 'poo' out of Youtube. No more tracking, you can download, and no ads.

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Dark Sky is actually a weather app. And while they have an android version that is being discontinued because the company were bought by Apple.

IMHO, the best Dark Sky replacement is MyRadar, although it began years ago as a simple radar app, it's now a full on weather app by just pulling down the mini forecast at the top. Another thing I like is that you don't have to "search" for another city like many weather apps, just move the map around and whatever's under the bullseye is the forecast you get.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones