• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Imagio lurker, considering X or Fascinate

larry0071

Android Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2010
Near Pittsburgh PA
Screen name Larry0071, real name Larry.
Pittsburgh PA (Beaver County)
Drive a Dodge Cummins, crew cab, long bed, 4x4 on 33-12.50 Pro-Comp tires.
Ride a dual sport, 2009 KLR650
I cling to my guns and bible, like many in Pennsylvania... and like any good American should.
I am a republican.
I love Nuclear Power!

I have a love for the Win Mobile OS phones, started with the MotoQ then to the Titan 6800 and now to the 13 month old Imagio. I'm really torn because my Imagio seems to do everything the Droid and/or Iphone do so far as I can tell... and no one at work has been able to show me thier Droid based smart phones pulling off feats that I can not do with the Windows Mobile platform.... or for that fact, they can't show me anything that I have not already been doing for years.

But you know how phone envy goes.... I'm feeling a bit like the red headed step child at an Italian family reunion.

I use my phone for internet while at work, Opera 10 is the browser. The company restricts all streaming sound, video and all pictures so my phone is my primary internet tool for personal use. I shop on my phone, I browse forums, and I hit local news and weather sites often. I like a large screen and think the Droid X may be the winner for me because of the way I use my phone.

I use my phone for my Gmail, @live.com mail, yahoo mail and also I have a website and I have 3 email addresses for that that are on my phone. I do not use a PC for email at all... have not in a few years.

I download DIVX movies with Limewire and watch full movies on the Imagio and also did this on the Titan. Great for long and boring nightshift survival!

I use my Imagio as my MP3 player, again using LimeWire as my media source.

I use VCAST about 1-2 hours a day, I don't want to miss Bones, Vampire Diaries, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy, Deadliest Warrior, and some others.

I do not use a PC for facebook, only my phone.

Balistic calculator - I love being able to open the BalCalc application (found on www.m4carbine.net) and it uses GPS to locate me, finds temps, wind speed and direction and elevation and I can input my direction of fire, incline/decline of fire, distance to target, and pull the stored round data dn the application will provide me with wind correction and bullet drop instantly. Can droid do this?

Pictures in outdoors are great, I rarely carry my point/shoot Kodak anymore! I take many pictures. Video is at the minimum acceptable level, but they work in a pinch.

My Imagio uses WinMobileWIFI to supply me Wifi Hotspot for free to my netbook at home and at work when I carry it in. Then I can stream HULU/Fancast movies during... NIGHTSHIFT! Yay! I do not wish to pay a monthly fee for something I've been doing for free for 3 years on the Titan and the Imagio!

I use both Google Maps and Bing Maps, my personal preference is Bing for search and voice guided turn by turn GPS. Again, on my Imagio this is all free, not a fee based service like I believe it is on the Androids.

I send/recieve maybe 10-30 texts on an average day.
------------------------------------------------------------------

So the problem for me is that I have a 1 year contract that expired a month and a half ago, but I love my Imagio's capabilities so much... I fear that the Android phones may not yet be ready to take over for my style of user. With the Win Mobile, most every application and game is out there free to be downloaded and installed to the micro SD card. Sure... there is the Microsoft App Store... but who uses that when all the stuff they sale is out there for free at places like PPCGeeks.com or any of the other 10 or 15 Pocket PC based communities?
Then there is the totally free app for getting apps called Omarket and another called the XDA Market. Hundreds upon hundreds of applications that are all legal and free.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it. Please, help me find a good solid point that will help me set down the Imagio and venture into this Android OS world we seem to be all caught up in. I want to do it.... but I just want to do it without having to give up everything I love about my OS I run now. Convince me that the Android OS (X or Fascinate, not Droid 2 for me) can go blow for blow in a battle with the Imagio.... or tell me to keep my Imagio and allow Android to mature another 6 months or a year and try again.

I did seem to neglect to mention that I also talk on my "phone" maybe 15-30 min a day on average.

Also worth mentioning is that I kayak, ride dirt bikes and ATV's, camp with my kids, and generally spend a decent amount of time dirty, wet, sweaty, stinky and enjoying the heck out of life out doors.... and my phone needs to suck it all up like a champ and be there for me during all of this.

Upvote 0
Sorry larry0071. Welcome to the forums.

The best way for you to figure this out is to get a Droid phone and try it out for 30 days. Then you will have all of your questions answered.

That said, if you're happy with the Imagio, why change?

I was thinking that some of the users here would be able to read how I use the Imagio and chime in telling me that they can match what I do with a droid....

As too why I want to change, This Android OS thing is very inviting! Plus, I can't tell you how many times a stranger sees my Imagio and they light up and say real excited "Is that a Droid phone!?" and I reply to them that no, it is a Win Mobile Pro phone.... and then I always seem to get the same resigned and mopey "Oh, ok...".

So you see, I love my phone, but I get butt hurt evertime someone acts like my phone is some dinosaur relic that is not worth a second look. In reality the Imagio is a pretty handy tool, but maybe this Android OS can take me where I want to go... and take me to places I never knew before. I'm also intrigued by the larger screen of that Droid X for watching movies and Vcast.

Does the Android system support DivX formats with some 3rd party player?

And also, can I get around V and the tether charges for WiFi hotspot useage? In the Imagio I can hot spot with no bandwidth cap since it is not dialing out as a tether mode, it is still using the internal 3G dial up, so big red just thinks I'm using the phone to suck down massive data. My peak month so far was 23 gig of transfer and Verizon never said a word.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones