• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible or Nexus One?

Will you get the Nexus One or the HTC Incredible?

• Nexus One

Votes: 34 9.3%
  • HTC Incredible

Votes: 215 58.6%
  • Whichever comes first

Votes: 60 16.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 58 15.8%

• Total voters
just remember, the looks are as much in the air as the specs for the incredible. there have been no official pics of the incredible. I really don't believe we will see a final pic of the incredible until very soon before it is actually released. remember how much the desire changed in two weeks...I rememebr people complaining that they didn't like the plastic border around the screen on the leaked pictures of the desire, two weekls later ir is officially released and they had done away with those plastic parts and rounded the edges and changed the buttons to silver, etc. I still truly believe that the incredible will look quite a bit diffeent than the leaked pics we saw.

that is what i am thinking. HTC brought the incredible to MWC because they knew verizon was going to be there show them the phone and see what they thought of it. While there someone grabed the proto type and was like o ya im going to make some money for this who didnt really have to good of ties. when verizon and htc met they could have said hey we perfer the look of the desire more can you change this incredible a bit more yada yada yada its too bold. just a theory no concrete facts

Upvote 0
Just a question....does anyone have any idea how long a phone is in the manufacturing phase before it's actually brought to market? For example, wouldn't the Incredible already be in production and in the process of being boxed in retail packages for shipment even as far back as June? I can't imagine that production occurs in the blink of an eye. Also, many people are dismissing the supposed photos of the Incredible saying that it could change...but some of the earliest leaks of the Passion/Desire were very much how the Desire looks now. Also, the Supersonic looks almost exactly like the leaked photos of the Incredible. At this point I would find it very surprising if the Incredible didn't come out looking almost exactly like the photos suggest. Perhaps the back won't be red...but otherwise the same. I figure, somewhere in Asia there is already a stockpile of Nexus Ones and/or Incredibles for Verizon. Would I be wrong?

Upvote 0
Just a question....does anyone have any idea how long a phone is in the manufacturing phase before it's actually brought to market? For example, wouldn't the Incredible already be in production and in the process of being boxed in retail packages for shipment even as far back as June? I can't imagine that production occurs in the blink of an eye. Also, many people are dismissing the supposed photos of the Incredible saying that it could change...but some of the earliest leaks of the Passion/Desire were very much how the Desire looks now. Also, the Supersonic looks almost exactly like the leaked photos of the Incredible. At this point I would find it very surprising if the Incredible didn't come out looking almost exactly like the photos suggest. Perhaps the back won't be red...but otherwise the same. I figure, somewhere in Asia there is already a stockpile of Nexus Ones and/or Incredibles for Verizon. Would I be wrong?

The phone manufacturers don't stockpile phones. The carriers place orders and the requested quantities are built. If they're sitting anywhere, they'd be with the carrier. For modest quantities, I'd say it takes a couple weeks to turn around an order.

Upvote 0
I'm not usually one to talk about release dates, but for the N1 I'm hearing end of March from the same person who told me the T-mobile release date and that we would get a Verizon version eventually before it was announced. He would know.

That being said, back to the question of N1 vs Incredible and now taking into considering that the HTC keyboard, my biggest love on the ERIS is now avail to port to the N1 and the desire rom will be fully functional soon. HMMM.....

So for me I think the trackball and the fear of not having full VZ support are my biggest turn offs of the N1 but the fast updates direct from Google and the guaranteed extra RAM are my biggest turn ons about the N1.

My Droid Eris, until rooted, will likely take at least another month or maybe 3 before I finally see an 2.1 update. I don't even have google nav.

Upvote 0
So like others who caved in, i am debating doing it tonight. thought i could hold out.
Has anyone got one, planning on buying the next device in a month or 2 at full retail and selling the previous on ebay or craigslist?
-which would you get? (i'm sure the droid would sell for more and sell quicker)
-do you think the eris would fall in value once a comparable phone came out?
-am i stupid?

I am actually doing it to get a bogo deal on a droid and palm pre for the wife. fyi
thanks

Upvote 0
So like others who caved in, i am debating doing it tonight. thought i could hold out.
Has anyone got one, planning on buying the next device in a month or 2 at full retail and selling the previous on ebay or craigslist?
-which would you get? (i'm sure the droid would sell for more and sell quicker)
-do you think the eris would fall in value once a comparable phone came out?
-am i stupid?

I am actually doing it to get a bogo deal on a droid and palm pre for the wife. fyi
thanks

I felt like caving today, too. The end of March is just 4 weeks away, if you're waiting on the N1. It's almost here, just a little while longer.

Upvote 0
If you're into square edges, extra unused real estate in relation to the display, and a free-form bright red back cover, more power too you. :)

Those buttons from the Desire would look great on my StarTac. ;)
I think the red is cute, and I don't look at the back of my phone.
And the N1 and Desire have the same amount of wasted real estate, just in different areas of the face.

I think the N1 is the prettiest, but it would look better with an optical sensor instead of a track ball. The Desire with those ugly buttons is last for me.

Either way, we could do a lot worse than these three phones.

Upvote 0
The phone manufacturers don't stockpile phones. The carriers place orders and the requested quantities are built. If they're sitting anywhere, they'd be with the carrier. For modest quantities, I'd say it takes a couple weeks to turn around an order.

Thank you for the reply! But now I have another question....what would be a modest quantity? LOL Just curious...because I would assume the Incredible would probably sell similarly to the Droid. If this were the case they better have a bunch on hand!

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply! But now I have another question....what would be a modest quantity? LOL Just curious...because I would assume the Incredible would probably sell similarly to the Droid. If this were the case they better have a bunch on hand!

It's pretty subjective but I think a modest quantity would be a couple hundred thousand compared to, say, half a million or more. We're only talking about initial/launch orders here. They could get a small, fast build out the door and follow with a larger build for sustained sales.

Upvote 0
I keep saying, "Incredible, Incredible, Incredible".

Although, the longer it's taking, the more I'm tempted to say, "Meh... Nexus One so I can be done being obsessed with searching the net for phone info.

Funny. At this point I'm thinking that if I have to wait until April for the Incredible, why not wait one more month for the phone I really want...the Desire on AT&T. So tired of the constant foot dragging at Verizon.

Upvote 0
Funny. At this point I'm thinking that if I have to wait until April for the Incredible, why not wait one more month for the phone I really want...the Desire on AT&T. So tired of the constant foot dragging at Verizon.

Good point, I really do love the look of the Desire, but more important to me is call quality. My brother-in-law has an iphone, he is constantly dropping call and just recently on a family vacation he had to use my phone. No service for AT&T. I don't care how good your phone is, if the network is bad you won't enjoy your phone to it's fullest. Just ask some Nexus One owners.:eek:

Upvote 0

I get where you're coming from. Having been on AT&T for a year and T-Mo for a day, I can't really even think about leaving Verizon. It really has been the best service for me. Especially in Los Angeles. There are certain real dead spots for AT&T and I don't like dropping calls.

Upvote 0
I get where you're coming from. Having been on AT&T for a year and T-Mo for a day, I can't really even think about leaving Verizon. It really has been the best service for me. Especially in Los Angeles. There are certain real dead spots for AT&T and I don't like dropping calls.

I'm crossing my fingers they hit a home run with the Incredible, or at least provide better support for the Nexus One. It would be a lot easier to stay with Verizon because most of our family is on Verizon. I'm just tired of a) waiting, and b) getting disappointed. It's a vicious, neverending cycle with Verizon. With T-Mobile putting off LTE and AT&T sounding like they're mulling a delay in favor of HSPA+, I'm worried that it'll be even longer before we get to the point that HTC sells a phone like the Desire unlocked in the states where you drop in your Verizon SIM card (or AT&T, or T-Mobile).

Upvote 0
There are a few factors that would make my decision real easy.

1) Will Verizon allow customers to use their new every 2 credit on the N1? If not....Incredible is a no brainer.

2) Will Google require you to have an individual plan as they did with T-mobile? If buying the N1 means you cannot be part of a family plan.... Incredible is a no brainer.

A few less important matters only relevant if conditions 1 and 2 sway in my favor.

3) Red back really? I mean not the biggest deal but come on. Red and plastic will be a fail. I love the N1 rubberish black back. Looks 100x better than that awfulness.

4) Screen size not 3.7" ?? I doubt this can be true but come on... It wouldnt be so Incredible if it had a 3.2 or 3.5" screen. Thats a fact

5) Which will come out first??

This is really what I'm thinking. I'd LOVE to get the N1...I like the plain vanilla Android for faster updates and I'm thinking that there might be more accessories for it since it will eventually be available on all four major US carriers (not including overseas). Having said that, I can't see losing my New Every Two discount which both of our accounts are up for (well, the main line is up March 10, the secondary is up now). I don't see the N1 being *that* much better. The family plan issue is another concern but I think that might be a T-Mobile restriction rather than Google but who knows for sure. I also agree that it's a big plus to be able to walk into a store and walk out with a new phone if there are any problems. I do like the dual mic setup of the N1 and would miss that on the Incredible.

I wasn't too wild about the color of the back of the Incredible either...if they are/were going with red, I wish they'd either do a real red or real brown but the color that the pics shows is rather garish. I prefer the simplicity of black or possibly an aluminium finish as well but something that will have good grip and won't show scratches like crazy.

Since the specs aren't final, I'm not going to get the 256mb stuck in my head. Some speculation on other forums suggests that with some of the additional features of the Incredible (such as Sense UI and 720p recording/playback) that it would have to at least match the N1 on memory. So time will tell.

One question I do have...do you think that the Incredible will have the voice input options of the N1 (or is there an app available to do that)? I've not had a phone without a physical keyboard and having the voice input (and Swype), would make the transition easier, I think.

Oh well, looking forward to new Android phones either way!

Upvote 0
...I wasn't too wild about the color of the back of the Incredible either...if they are/were going with red, I wish they'd either do a real red or real brown but the color that the pics shows is rather garish....

Everyone keeps saying that the red is such a weird shade but I think the combination of the warm lighting and shoddy video quality is making it look a lot warmer than it really is. If it is released with the red back it makes more sense for it to be "Verizon red" really making it the flagship of the VZW branded line. I see this lining up as the VZW supported version of the Nexus one for the less techie consumers who want a smartphone with a UI that is more like a feature phone. Most people don't hang around forums and learn about things like rooting.

(Oh and hi everone! First post, probably not the last.)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Seems a little aggressive for a Google employee to leak release date info. I wonder if VZW will try to accelerate the testing of the Incredible in order to meet or beat the N1 to the punch.

I thought we heard the Incredible was supposed to be a March release but has been delayed (<--- a Verizon specialty) until April. Sounds like they had every intention of beating Google to the punch but things didn't work out quite as they planned. Do they ever for Verizon?

Upvote 0
Regarding Family Plans...seems to me that V whacks you for selecting a family plan.
One you leave the solo plan and go to family, you get:
Less minutes for the same $
Lose "Pick five friends" feature
Pay another $10.00 per month
And there's no discount on a second data package...
I figure it would cost an additional $40/month to have my wife using my minutes.
Doesn't seem like a way to attract customers to me...however AT&T has the exact same structure.
Seems just as easy to get a completely separate line- even from another carrier.

Anyway- that aside- it really seems like Google's support will be a big barrier to going the N1 route. And did they ever really solve that 3G/EDGE issue? I know the N1 on V would be CDMA it just points to potential issues. And that issue of the user's hand covering up the antenna and dropping signal? AND having to pay full-price?

Not making it to the top of my list. I think I'd prefer the Incredible..but who knows what either option will really be when they become real.

Personally I want the Desire that AT&T's getting to come to Verizon.

Upvote 0
N1 looks better but buying through Google, no in store support and existing connection issues (probably just T-Mobile but who knows) I am thinking Incredible. Hopefully the specs (256 Ram) is wrong but the drawbacks on N1 from support and purchasing may overshadow that.

The one picture posted does not do the Incredible justice. Looks much better with the screen on and in that horrible video.

Upvote 0
Regarding Family Plans...seems to me that V whacks you for selecting a family plan.
One you leave the solo plan and go to family, you get:
Less minutes for the same $
Lose "Pick five friends" feature
Pay another $10.00 per month
And there's no discount on a second data package...
I figure it would cost an additional $40/month to have my wife using my minutes.
Doesn't seem like a way to attract customers to me...however AT&T has the exact same structure.
Seems just as easy to get a completely separate line- even from another carrier.

They drop 5 friends, but they add friends and family which is more then 5 numbers. The 10 is just for the other line which is why its more for the same minutes. Now having to have 2 data plans for a family plan is where they along with the rest screw you.

Upvote 0
N1 looks better but buying through Google, no in store support and existing connection issues (probably just T-Mobile but who knows) I am thinking Incredible. Hopefully the specs (256 Ram) is wrong but the drawbacks on N1 from support and purchasing may overshadow that.

The one picture posted does not do the Incredible justice. Looks much better with the screen on and in that horrible video.

That will truly suck if the incredible only has 256 RAM, then it becomes a much harder decision. Yes the N1 can't use it all right now. But it will eventually and somehow I think there is going to be something really cool attached to that development.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones