• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Indian Desire Z Firmware Version

Got it guys no need to bother
Hey Arpit, I have the exact same stock rom as you i.e. 1.34.720.6 but due to utter noobishness on my part I updated it to OTA 1.82.720.1. Now I want to root but the problem is I want to be able to claim warranty later (I rough handle my fone a lot :) ). So basically I need to downgrade first. Can you just help me out a little here..

Upvote 0
How can you both have root and claim warranty, you have to be unrooted to claim warranty. If you still want to go ahead.

I am assuming you don't have s-off or a nandroid backup of 1.34 using clockwork recovery. (if you have then do not follow the steps below, there is an easier way)

Basically what you need to do is downgrade to 1.34.
that way you can get root, upgrade to 1.82 and root again.

follow this guide on xda to downgrade your phone (follow only until step 12, read wiki)
[GUIDE] Downgrade your Desire-Z from 1.72 to 1.34 (and get root and S-OFF) - xda-developers

then root your phone using the htc vision wiki on xda forums
HTC Vision - XDA-Developers

when you have s-off confirmed the follow this guide to update your phone to 1.82 and get root (or if you want you can stay on 1.34)
[GUIDE] Downgrade your Desire-Z from 1.72 to 1.34 (and get root and S-OFF) - xda-developers

Read the wiki first, it always has the best and safest way to root your phone.

All of the above steps are a little complex so proceed with caution.

Don't use the indian ruu as it's a pre release one, i was not able to update to 1.82 after using it to get to 1.34 (restored my old 1.34 nandroid backup and was able to update).

what i'm saying is that you have to use other region rom or ruu (probably wwe) for the above processes, but that way you wont have the indian rom and will not get warranty.

If you absolutely want warranty i suggest you don't root at all, if not then go ahead and best of luck.

Reactions: iyerama
Upvote 0
So is it possible that in near future Desire Z official Indian RUU will be available?

also as far as i understand rooting and getting S-OFF are 2 completely separate things. Correct me if I am wrong.

In case I am correct a combination of the following two links should work isn't it?

How To Backup Your Android Phone’s Boot, Recovery And System Partition Images

How To: Unroot the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision | TheUnlockr

Do let me know what you think.

In case this works I will upload the backed up ROM online for access to all Indian Desire Z users.

Upvote 0
rooting is the process to gain access to your phones internals and then you use that to get security off which lets you run unsigned code i.e. custom roms kernels radios etc.

downgrading now you'll have to use roms from other regions and i can't say for sure if and when official indian ruu will be available.

in the first link you have to be rooted for it to work and you are not.

for rooting it is better you follow the xda wiki as it is the most up to date procedure and the safest.

another way is you can use the non retail indian ruu get root and clock work recovery then ask someone on official rooted indian 1.34 to post a nandroid backup of their rom.
then you can restore that backup and then update to 1.82 through htc.

I would post my backup but its got all my personal info etc. so i can't.

you gotta find someone who can backup their rom wipe it then backup again post the wiped backup for you and flash their original backed up rom to get everything back

good luck

Reactions: iyerama
Upvote 0
the trouble is i can't cos nandroid backups shouldn't be used to downgrade and as i am on 1.82 i can't just flash 1.34 and wipe

Ok.. I am just thinking out aloud here.. correct me if i am wrong.

In the steps to downgrade the phone.. there is a misc_version.zip. there is a C file in it i just went through it and apparently all it does is cosmetically change the version on the emmc to whatever you specify.. All i requires to run is temp root. which is achieved by psneuter.

Now as you told me that 1.34.720.3 does not show 1.82 upgrade for you since it is pre releaase. Assuming that the OTA upgrade utility checks the current version info from the emmc and checks based on whether an update is available or not on the internet. I suggest the following.

unroot get back to s-on on 1.34.720.3 get temproot using psneuter so after boot cycle we remain unrooted now use misc_version to change version to 1.34.720.6. Reboot. Check for OTA. I think it should show the OTA upgrade now as availabe.

You think this will work?

Upvote 0
it may work also you donot need to unroot only need to flash the original htc recovery image for ota updates.

another thing you may try is manually flashing the 1.82 ota update in 1.34.720.3 i have 1.82 ota zip file if you need. (it may not work but it should, do a backup first to be safe)

also 1.34 is not all that bad and that pre release software i installed was the same as retail 1.34.

another thing you can try after getting root is to flash a sense rom like virtous which is latest anyway and get back to 1.34.720.3 when you need warranty i doubt htc will refuse warranty if you have S-on and 1.34.720.3 as it is not any different than 1.34.720.6

Upvote 0
it may work also you donot need to unroot only need to flash the original htc recovery image for ota updates.

another thing you may try is manually flashing the 1.82 ota update in 1.34.720.3 i have 1.82 ota zip file if you need. (it may not work but it should, do a backup first to be safe)

also 1.34 is not all that bad and that pre release software i installed was the same as retail 1.34.

another thing you can try after getting root is to flash a sense rom like virtous which is latest anyway and get back to 1.34.720.3 when you need warranty i doubt htc will refuse warranty if you have S-on and 1.34.720.3 as it is not any different than 1.34.720.6

Nah i dont mind if i dont have sense. its jus heavy eye candy thats all. I guess will give cyanogenmod or MIUI a shot.

Where did you get 1.82 update.zip btw? backed up or somewhere from the net. If backed up then can you guide me to a how to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones