1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

installing skype on galaxy s with froyo (android 2.2)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fanfanfanfan, Feb 5, 2011.

1. fanfanfanfan

fanfanfanfan Lurker

Hello,

I would like to use skype on my galaxy s in order to be able to use a voip with camera (perhaps there are other apps that can do the same as good)

I installed skype on my device, but it cannot sign in at all even if my password is correct etc.. i have read on the skype forum that you must install skype on the sd card but the transfer always fail. actually any app that i try moving to the sd card fails... perhaps there is something wrong on my settings.
    do you have any ideas if skype can run on froyo,
    how to move it to sd card etc..
    if not possible what are good alternatives to skype ?
    thanks a lot

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

Android Skype does not have video chat yet.

You don't need to move to SD to use Skype on froyo. Have you tried logging in while on a wifi connection?

3. pfhyde

pfhyde Newbie

Aside from Skype lagging my phone, popping when I make calls, draining too much battery, and starting up automatically when I boot my phone, even though I don't want it to, it works fine under 2.2, and I never had any password problems, so maybe your problem is more simple, i.e., maybe using the virtual keypad to punch in your password just isn't inputting what you think. If you can log in with Skype on your home computer, you should be able to log in on your Galaxy.

Re: Skype video, apparently Skype is intentionally cripple-wear on Android phones (that is, intentionally NOT going to allow video) since the Skype developers have struck some deal with HTC and Verizon for the HTC Thunderbolt's "Skype Video" capability (see this link).

4. t sport 1978

t sport 1978 Well-Known Member

For video calling over VOIP, use an app called Tango. Excellent.

5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

But skype did promise that they will give video chat capability later on. I am guessing that they will release it a few months after thunderbolt is released.

6. fanfanfanfan

fanfanfanfan Lurker

I guess that you have answered my question!
    it seems that no video call possible because of skype = shame that is the whole purpose. Tango is only from phone to phone... is there an application that you can go phone to pc?
    thanks

Samsung Galaxy S Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews