• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Bizarre Rooting Question

tykegirl

Lurker
Jul 13, 2014
UK
Ok I do apologise, first post and it's a request for advice/help, yes I know I'm a pain in the proverbial backside.

I have a SGS3 gti9300, so the international 3G version and I apologise if this is the wrong place (I found the S3 4G international sub forum but couldn't spot a 3G international sub forum), please move me to the relevent section if I have posted in the wrong place and accept my apologies.

So I wanted to root the device to remove the rubbish on there that came pre-installed that I never use and never will use, I have no intention of flashing custom roms, just wanted to remove the crap from it. I ended up following a tutorial (can't find the links to it or even post links being a new member so I will try and explain what files were used etc) which involved using Odin v3.09 and CF Root SGS3 v6.4 which is the .tar file. I'm pretty sure you know the rest, connect device to laptop, when Odin has detected it click AP and choose the CF Root file and hit start with Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked and nothing else. It took about 2 minutes at the most, rebooted and Odin said it was done, passed or whatever it says - so far so good, or so I thought.

I have SuperSU and CWM Manager installed (done during the rooting process) and then installed Root Checker to check if I had root access but it tells me "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access." Opened SuperSU and it tells me that SU binary needs to be updated but when I click continue I get Installation failed. If I go into CWM Manager I get "THis version of CWM Manager should be used with CF Root v5.0 or newer. It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features have been disabled."

If I boot into recovery (home, vol up and Power) I get CMW-based Recovery v5.5.0.4 CF -v1.5.

Any help or advice on where to go next with this would be great, but please explain to me what you're talking about when you tell me, if you're going to talk flashing, does this mean the same process as when I rooted :thinking: - that sort of thing.

I apologise for the hugely long post but I wanted to get as much info as I could to you.

Device is factory unlocked running xxugmk6 4.3

EDIT
SuperSU has just decided to update itself and now tells me there is no SU Binary and it cannot install it and if I have just upgraded i need to manually re-root and consult the relevant forums for my device.

Reactions: marcus33
Hey mate welcome.
Forget the pc now and try this

Download this zip http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/
Boot into recovery and just to be safe make a backup there (this is essential if you're gonna be messing with system apps anyway. Backup takes a long time as it backs up the entire phone. Choose backup to sdcard1 [memory card])
Then, in recovery, flash the zip (install zip, install zip from sdcard0 [internal storage] , scroll to Download and find this zip and select it)
Reboot and you should be rooted :thumbup:

To navigate in recovery, use volume up/down to scroll and Home button to select 👍:thumbup:

Upvote 0
Hey mate welcome.
Forget the pc now and try this

Download this zip SuperSU Download
Boot into recovery and just to be safe make a backup there (this is essential if you're gonna be messing with system apps anyway. Backup takes a long time as it backs up the entire phone. Choose backup to sdcard1 [memory card])
Then, in recovery, flash the zip (install zip, install zip from sdcard0 [internal storage] , scroll to Download and find this zip and select it)
Reboot and you should be rooted :thumbup:

To navigate in recovery, use volume up/down to scroll and Home button to select 👍:thumbup:

Thank you so much, that sorted it. You're a star :party:

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones