• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Can't install ZIP with CWM on Android 4.3

tbordallo

Lurker
Nov 20, 2013
Hello, Guys.

MY problem I have searched all over and I havent found an answer, so I decided to write here.

Recently I updated my Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 (it wasnt by official means, I searched on internet a tutoria and updated from 4.1 to 4.3) and then rooted it. The problem is that, whenever I go to CWM to enter in the recovery mode, boot and try to "install a zip from the SD card", the option is not shown. The closest one is "Apply update from external storage" , I even try to select the zip file, but it always shows the message "Signature verification failed", so I guess it is the wrong thing... Does anyone know why only this option in Android System Recovery appears instead of the others to install other stuff?
How to change this screen?

Thank you!

This sounds very much like you don't have CWM installed. From what you describe it looks like you still run the stock recovery. How did you root? With CF autoroot or what? A custom recovery based on CWM should look like a Excel table with lines and more than half a dozen options when you boot into the recovery. If you have only an option for factory reset or to flash an update.zip then you are definitely still on stock, which would explain your inability to flash anything else.

You can try the latest TWRP recovery for your device and flash it via Odin, when done make sure you boot immediately into recovery by pressing the button sequence for it, don't let the phone reboot into system, i.e. the OS because then it would overwrite your custom recovery you just flashed.

So when you are in the custom recovery after flashing it and rebooting into it then choose the root file to flash. After that you should be rooted with custom recovery.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
No, funkylogik, to get to recovery mode I'm using CWM.

In fact it is important to say that, first I have rooted it when it was in the Android version 4.1, then I installed the Android 4.3 and I notice d that it wasnt rooted anymore, so I had to find another file to root it on 4.3 .

The root I have done through Odin 3.07 and using the file CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5

Well, to illustrate what is happening, I uploaded a video on youtube so you guys can see what is actually happening and suggest me what to do.
Can't install ZIP with CWM on Android 4.3 - YouTube

Thanks!

Upvote 0
No, funkylogik, to get to recovery mode I'm using CWM.

In fact it is important to say that, first I have rooted it when it was in the Android version 4.1, then I installed the Android 4.3 and I notice d that it wasnt rooted anymore, so I had to find another file to root it on 4.3 .

The root I have done through Odin 3.07 and using the file CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5

Well, to illustrate what is happening, I uploaded a video on youtube so you guys can see what is actually happening and suggest me what to do.
Can't install ZIP with CWM on Android 4.3 - YouTube

Thanks!

I see, this is definitely the stock recovery and not CWM. I also noticed that you are using ROM manager - I would steer clear of stuff like that, many people seem to have problems with those type of apps. If you you keep it simple and you know how to use Odin then I'd suggest you download a rooted custom ROM, put it on your external SD card, flash a custom recovery through Odin (either CWM, Philz or TWRP) and then make sure you catch the boot sequence before you end up in the OS, i.e. reboot into recovery and flash the rooted ROM. Done!

Upvote 0
Thank you very much, heat57, but as a rookie, these terms still sounded a litlle greek to me, so I write below some questions about it:

-a rooted custom ROM is one of these files .zip that you download and rename for recovery.IMG?
I got this CyanogenMod 10.2.0 ( ClockworkMod ROM Manager - ROMs ), renamed it, put on the root of phone and SD Cards, but I dont know how to proceed from that. How to flash a custom recovery through Odin? And how to catch the boot sequence before ending up in the OS?
:thinking:

Sorry for so many questions, but I feel really lost. A friend of mine also sugested me to follow these steps of the link (Tutorial [noob] How to Install Clockworkmod (CWM) touch/recovery on Galaxy S3 i747. - xda-developers), that I tried, but there was no result either... :(

Upvote 0
If you download a rom you don't change the file name, leave it as a .zip file. Completely ignore that second link as it's not for your phone and it will most probably brick it.

Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

That's the download page for Philz touch recovery, the top two files are the latest version. You will need the one that says .tar.md5. This is an odin flashable file. You'll need to open odin, put your phone into download mode then flash the recovery. I THINK you will load it into the PDA slot in odin but wait until someone can confirm.

Upvote 0
Great,Yatezy,I'm waiting someone here tell me if this is in the PDA slot or another in Odin.

I even rooted it again, with no effect,then factory reset the device, but it stays in the android 4.3 and the CWM keeps doing the same thing.

It's been really frustrating to me,who at first only would like to install the S Translator into my Galaxy S3...

:(

Upvote 0
If you download a rom you don't change the file name, leave it as a .zip file. Completely ignore that second link as it's not for your phone and it will most probably brick it.

Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

That's the download page for Philz touch recovery, the top two files are the latest version. You will need the one that says .tar.md5. This is an odin flashable file. You'll need to open odin, put your phone into download mode then flash the recovery. I THINK you will load it into the PDA slot in odin but wait until someone can confirm.

Yes, it's the PDA button, then select the .zip of your downloaded ROM. NOTE: There are 2 Odin version, 3.07 and 3.09. The PDA is for version 3.07, which is the one recommended for JB 4.1 to 4.1.2, version 3.09 should be used for JB 4.3 and in this there is no longer a PDA button; for whatever reason they changed the format, you now have to insert your file by ticking the AP button. ;)

Upvote 0
You guys are being super helpful, thanks once again, but the problem is that the informations here seems a lil mixed up for me and I am very afraid of bricking my phone, so please confirm to me what kind of file I should use with what program or app before I make a mess and brick it:

-I'm running the Odin 3.09 , and I'm about the put there a file, but... the file I must put, taken from the site " Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service " is the "philz_touch_6.00.8-i9300.zip", its zipped content (a file "recovery.img") or the other from the link right below, philz_touch_6.00.8-i9300.tar.md5? *

After done this operation (of putting in download mode, run Odin and putting one of these 3 files in the phone and rebooting), what shall I do next? What program or app I must open, run what, etc... to find the option "install zip from sdcard" ?

I'm sorry for the naive question, I just dont want to brick my brand new and expensive phone that I'm already 4 days struggling with... :(

*=I made this confusion because Yatezy referred as " leave it as a .zip file." and "You will need the one that says .tar.md5.", and heart57 referred to "select the .zip of your downloaded ROM"

Upvote 0
As stated its the .tar.md5 file (make sure you download it to your computer ;)). Zip files are used only in custom recoverys and they dont need to be unzipped (these are downloaded to your phone).

To get into the custom recovery is the same as the stock (power + home + volume up) and this where you can then flash ROMs, kernels, modems, anything! This is also where you find the install zip option :thumb:

Upvote 0
Hey, guys, just writing to inform that I have flashed the .tar.md5 file as you suggested and I finally managed to make it work fine, the way I was looking for all the time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

In the other hand I had other problems, but I prefer to make another topic for it. Please take a look there and tell me what you would do in this case.
http://androidforums.com/internatio...cher-adapted-s3-almost-brick.html#post6320992

Thank you once again!
RESOLVED!
:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones