• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help iPhone 4 or Galaxy Nexus?

hamlin69

May 26, 2011
Canada
Hello, I currently have a white unlocked 16gig iPhone 4 and I found an add on a local classified ad for a Galaxy nexus for $250. I msg'd the guy and will be meeting him today. I just want to know what your guy's opinion is of the Galaxy Nexus? I have heard it has network issues(dropping signal) and that the battery can't last a day. I am getting mixed answers on websites so I thought I would ask you guys.

I can probably sell my iphone for 250-300$(I live in a small city so iPhones are in demand) and buy the Galaxy Nexus for $250. Basically would be trading in a iPhone 4 for a Nexus. Is it worth it?

Hello, I currently have a white unlocked 16gig iPhone 4 and I found an add on a local classified ad for a Galaxy nexus for $250. I msg'd the guy and will be meeting him today. I just want to know what your guy's opinion is of the Galaxy Nexus? I have heard it has network issues(dropping signal) and that the battery can't last a day. I am getting mixed answers on websites so I thought I would ask you guys.

I can probably sell my iphone for 250-300$(I live in a small city so iPhones are in demand) and buy the Galaxy Nexus for $250. Basically would be trading in a iPhone 4 for a Nexus. Is it worth it?

It really depends on what you want to do with the GNex.

I know i have a custom ROM on mine with a custom Launcher and even a custom theme/icon pack for it, so it looks nothing like stock :)

If you are looking for maximum customization then go with the GNex.

There are plenty of ways to make transferring music a breeze like using Google Music Manager to upload to the cloud and then syncing flawlessly to your device.

Or workarounds like ISyncr that will work with iTunes and your Android device.

Many little things that helps android become better i think, than apple, is little customization tweaks. Many things like being able to add widgets on pages and changing icon names, drawer icons, how many icons you want on 1 page, how many screens you can scroll between...little things :)

The cons is yes the GNex does have a signal issue, but i have recently downloaded Network Signal Speed Booster and it refreshes the signal from the carrier and i think it helps, plus i really didn't notice the issue much before. The other downside is the camera, only 5MP, as opposed to 8MP, however, the camera on Android has a lot more customization options compared to the camera on the iPhone.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0

Actually, since you are in Canada, I'm guessing you are talking about a GSM Nexus? The GSM Nexus does not have the network issues that the CDMA Nexus does, like Digital Controller has and is talking about.

The GSM Nexus also doesn't have the battery issues that the CDMA Nexus has. I have no problem getting my Nexus to last a full day, and it will last for 2 days or longer if I'm not using the phone much (such as a weekend that I stay home).

To me, Jellybean is every bit as good (if not better) than iOS. The big screen makes a huge difference. The one issue that you might consider is if you are tied more to Apple or Google. For me, I tend to use Google (GMail, Calendar, etc.) so an Android phone makes more sense for me.

Upvote 0
Nice! The GNex is, IMO, much nicer than the iPhone 4. And it will continue to be updated. Whereas, unless you are excited by iOS6 (and it doesn't brick your wifi), the iPhone 4 is done with updates...

And all the issues with signal, battery, bluetooth, etc, are from the Verizon variants, as mentioned.

I'd take a GNex at $200 over a Nexus 4 at $300-350. I don't like the non-removable battery on the N4. The S4 is nice, but not really needed (yet). Especially as your first foray into Android, the GNex is a solid choice. Well supported, up-to-date, and cheaper in case you don't like it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones