• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to place regular calls using a Nexus 7 paired via bluetooth to my phone?

Is it possible to place regular phone calls (not VOIP like Skype) using a Nexus 7 paired via bluetooth to my phone?

Reason why I would like to use it like that is simply because I'm planning to replace the Head Unit in my car with a Nexus 7 tablet and it would be great to use the tablet in the car to place and receive calls (listening to the calls on the speakers in the car) using the voice service on my phone paired to the tablet via BT or some other method.

Is it possible to place regular phone calls (not VOIP like Skype) using a Nexus 7 paired via bluetooth to my phone?

No you can't.

Reason why I would like to use it like that is simply because I'm planning to replace the Head Unit in my car with a Nexus 7 tablet and it would be great to use the tablet in the car to place and receive calls (listening to the calls on the speakers in the car) using the voice service on my phone paired to the tablet via BT or some other method.

I guess I will have to use VOIP ....

VoIP requires WiFi, which you haven't got on the road.

Upvote 0
I found this app on the Play store that appears to do exactly what I was looking for - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apdroid.tabtalk&hl=en

This is taken from the description on the page linked above.

Tether your phone and tablet? You can link your tablet over your phone’s Wi-Fi hotspot, so no mobile data is used to transfer your texts. You can also link over Bluetooth when Bluetooth tethering!

Use a Bluetooth headset with your phone? Combined with Tablet Talk, you can even dial and answer calls directly from the tablet, including a full call log. You will never need to take your phone out of your pocket!

Use your tablet as an in-dash car system? Use Tablet Talk with a Bluetooth headset to control phone calls from your dash: no internet connection required! Please, no texting and driving.

I can only test this once I get my new phone - Note 2. But, as you can imagine, I'm very excited about this!

Reactions: mrsbelpit
Upvote 0
I don't thing your connection to a mobile network is fast enough for VOIP call unless you are on 4g LTE. I use tablet talk on my N7 tethered to my Gnex and can make calls using my voice service from my provider. So basically I Bluetooth tether my n7 to Gnex for tablet talk, I mobile hotspot my gnex to give my n7 data connection for music, and I blue tooth tether my n7 to my car stereo so that the sound comes from my car speakers. Hope that gives you some insight from personal experience.

Reactions: SilverGS
Upvote 0
I have had to clean up a lot of unnecessary bickering. Not only is it against forum policy to engage in this sort of petty exchanges, it really screws with your Karma. So, let's try not to do that in the future.

We attack issues here, not each other. If you see a post that is insulting or overly critical of a member, then please report and move on. Do not reply to it. Staff will review and take the appropriate action.

Upvote 0
I don't thing your connection to a mobile network is fast enough for VOIP call unless you are on 4g LTE. I use tablet talk on my N7 tethered to my Gnex and can make calls using my voice service from my provider. So basically I Bluetooth tether my n7 to Gnex for tablet talk, I mobile hotspot my gnex to give my n7 data connection for music, and I blue tooth tether my n7 to my car stereo so that the sound comes from my car speakers. Hope that gives you some insight from personal experience.
I'm waiting for the GN2 to come out here in Canada and that's what I'll use.

Thanks for the suggestions. That's exactly how I wanted to use it!

Upvote 0
I have had to clean up a lot of unnecessary bickering. Not only is it against forum policy to engage in this sort of petty exchanges, it really screws with your Karma. So, let's try not to do that in the future.

We attack issues here, not each other. If you see a post that is insulting or overly critical of a member, then please report and move on. Do not reply to it. Staff will review and take the appropriate action.
Very much appreciated thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones