• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to use Android phone as a hotspot via USB

I'm using samsung galaxy
now I can only use wifi with my mobile phone coz the wifi is related to sim card.
I want to use my laptop to connect Internet via my phone.
Since my phone is not using 3G but wifi to connect Internet, it can't be a wifi hotspot.
so I hope to use USB to connect to my phone , is it possible or not?

it is USB tethering

thanks!

Are you saying that you want to share your phone's WiFi Internet connection with a PC via USB? I'm not sure if that's possible because I don't think most people would want to do that.

Why don't you just connect your PC to the WiFi network directly? You can buy a new USB WiFi dongle for $4.30, shipped on Ebay.

Upvote 0
Are you saying that you want to share your phone's WiFi Internet connection with a PC via USB? I'm not sure if that's possible because I don't think most people would want to do that.

Why don't you just connect your PC to the WiFi network directly? You can buy a new USB WiFi dongle for $4.30, shipped on Ebay.

My laptop can't connect to that wifi coz that wifi is SIM-card bound.

And I have limited 3G bundle. So I don't want to use 3G on my phone to provide data for my laptop.

Upvote 0
I think what he is wanting to do is use his phone, connect it to the wifi, and somehow bounce of the wifi the phone receives to his laptop. Is that possible guys? He doesnt want to use the phone 3G connection, he wants use the WiFi connection the phone connects to and then tether that to the his laptop.

But why can't you just connect your laptop to your WiFi directly? o_O

Upvote 0
I think what he is wanting to do is use his phone, connect it to the wifi, and somehow bounce of the wifi the phone receives to his laptop. Is that possible guys? He doesnt want to use the phone 3G connection, he wants use the WiFi connection the phone connects to and then tether that to the his laptop.

But why can't you just connect your laptop to your WiFi directly? o_O

------------------------------------------------------
you are right.

The wifi is authenticated with sim card. My laptop has no sim card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones