• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Lollipop Coming to Verizon Moto X?

Hi Folks,

When Lollipop was in the works of being released, I read from several sources that it would be pushed as an OTA update to Verizon Moto X (1st Gen) users. I've yet to see an update. I'm still on 4.4.4. Has there been any info released on an ETA? Does it make a difference that I'm a prepaid customer and bought the phone outright? I'm new to Verizon.

Overall I'm very happy with my phone on it's current software. I've had it ~6 months but I'm just a geek looking forward to playing with the new Android. :D

Thanks,
Dan

Motorola and Verizon will not promise an ETA. It will be pushed when it's ready, but I cannot think of a Motorola phone that had an update that didn't have a "soak test" first, and news of those - though they are supposed to be confidential - always leaks. When you see news of the soak test, it's likely that the X will be getting Lollipop within a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Big Poppa
Upvote 0
The X is going to 5.0.2 this time around. That's what's pushing/soaking right now. 5.1 may be down the line but won't be right away.
I believe Luciano ;)
uploadfromtaptalk1426986111663.jpg

Reactions: Big Poppa
Upvote 0
Hot off the presses at G+:

David Schuster
Shared publicly - 9:55 AM
#Lollipop

As some of you might know, we've been testing Lollipop 5.0.2 upgrades on Moto X (1st Gen), Moto E (1st Gen) and Moto G with 4G LTE (1st Gen) in several regions. In parallel we have started testing Lollipop 5.1 which was recently released by Google. Given the improvements in Lollipop 5.1, we have decided to move all efforts to upgrade these devices directly from KitKat to Lollipop 5.1.

Upvote 0
For a better source than 9to5mac, David Schuster of Motorola posted an update about this on Google+ last week: https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/Qci9XjXBe9L

Hey guys, quick update here for Moto X (1st Gen). We have started full soak testing again in the U.S. on the 5.1 Lollipop upgrade for our retail channels. If the data looks good, we'll move to full deployment in about a week.

In addition, we also initiated a full soak test for Brazil retail and Rogers in Canada yesterday for Moto X (1st Gen).

Please ensure that you have accepted any updates from the Play Store for Motorola Update Services (to version 4 or higher). You will need this to get the upgrade notification.

The Motorola Update Services app should be in your list of Play Store apps, but it's also here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.ccc.ota

Upvote 0
I've seen no status from Motorola or Verizon that says what the holdup is for the verizon version - or even that it is in carrier testing at this point. Rather than point a finger at Verizon, is it not conceivable that it failed testing and Motorola is trying to fix it? Who does it hurt to avoid updating status on this? (I say it hurts Motorola. I think they'll lose at least a few customers over this - advanced users who care about updates - and we're the ones who recommend phones to less technically sophisticated friends.)

The att version was stopped because of contact sync issues, and because preprogrammed att phone numbers were not showing up. That status update was from more than two weeks ago. No word since then. Have they fixed it? Is it back in carrier testing?

I don't want a bad update either, but why they can't be more transparent about status of updates is something I'll never understand. It's not like it's some great competitive secret that Samsung, htc and LG just can't know about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones