• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is my GT-I9100 genuine?

If it is a clone, hardware wise looks a good one.
And it has the quickest boot time I've ever seen. :rock:

As for the ROM, its not like anything I've seen before specifically, but the closest I've come across are MIUI based ROMs.

If you want a pure samsung rom, flash one through Odin, but as you can't get into download mode, I would try purchasing a USB jig off ebay firstly.
Secondly, are you SURE you cant get into download/upload mode? It can be temperamental at times.

ie. Press VOL-DOWN+HOME+POWER (in that order) and keep all three pressed until you see something come up on the screen (it can take up to 5 seconds or so) and then release all three and press VOL-UP

Doesn't work at all.

IMHO, it is a clone phone.

One thing on video #1 at around 20 sec's in, that caught my eye, was that the sim card appears to be partly covered by the Camera lens housing which is not the case on my GT-i9100... see screenshot, here. Also the housing below the sim card and above the battery does not look correct. There seems to be screws missing.

The fact that your boot-up screen and menu's do not correspond to the stock one's means nothing as I have used lots of custom ROM's that can change any software on the phone.

It is difficult to see but is there a hard, rectangular, "Home", key at the bottom centre of the phone?

These photographs of the Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100, may help you, here.

All three keys are hard buttons. I mean you have to actually press Back and Menu. Middle one is a button o.o..

Upvote 0
This video may explain better about the sim card and battery housing as I am going by hardware rather than software on your phone and it is difficult for me to compare on your videos.

Samsung Galaxy S2 - How to remove backside/battery/SIM/SD - YouTube

It looks different than mine, the SIM slot, the microSD slot.

I guess S2 clones are floating around now.
People should start posting that they're out so no one would get unlucky like I did.
I'll make some HD photos later this day and post them. Right now my camera is @ a friend.

Upvote 0
It looks different than mine, the SIM slot, the microSD slot.

I guess S2 clones are floating around now.
People should start posting that they're out so no one would get unlucky like I did.
I'll make some HD photos later this day and post them. Right now my camera is @ a friend.

I'm sorry Atsui. :(

It certainly doesn't look like a Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100 from what I've seen and you say.

As Hawker, one of the wisemen I contacted, says, there are quite a few legitimate variants of the Samsung Galaxy S2 on sale apart from the GT-19100. The GT-i9100G, GT-i9100M, GT-i9100P and the GT-i9100T not to mention all the US, Korean and other variants.

As Hawker suggests, maybe post some high quality photographs of the phone, you can forget about the software as I mentioned.

Reactions: Atsui
Upvote 0
I'm sorry Atsui. :(

It certainly doesn't look like a Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-i9100 from what I've seen and you say.

As Hawker, one of the wisemen I contacted, says, there are quite a few legitimate variants of the Samsung Galaxy S2 on sale apart from the GT-19100. The GT-i9100G, GT-i9100M, GT-i9100P and the GT-i9100T not to mention all the US, Korean and other variants.

As Hawker suggests, maybe post some high quality photographs of the phone, you can forget about the software as I mentioned.

Will do, I'll come back later with some photos.

Thank you all for your time and support.

P.S.: Obviously a clone, I just noticed, 64MB internal memory. Wish I could find a way to reset this phone tho x.x

Upvote 0
P.S.: Obviously a clone, I just noticed, 64MB internal memory. Wish I could find a way to reset this phone tho x.x

That clinches it!

I know of no Galaxy S2 variant that has that small a memory.

Looks to be a blooming good copy, hardware wise, and unless you had a genuine SGSII to compare it with, it would seem to pass an initial inspection.

As I mentioned before, software is no guide to a phone being genuine or not as there are so many custom ROM's around that bear no resemblance to the stock, Samsung, firmware.

Also, trying to connect it to the Samsung PC Suite, Kies, is no guarantee either as lots of genuine phones are not recognised.

I have a feeling that this is not the last case of this that we'll hear about!

Any more photo's or information you can provide would be very useful in spotting other clones.

Upvote 0
Re the website saying the IMEI "might be correct" there was a guy on the GS3 page recently who asked if the phone he had been offered was genuine or not (it was obviously a forgery). It was possible to read the IMEI number on the photo so I entered it onto the site and it gave that same message.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it possible to artificially generate IMEI numbers? That way the number would appear to be genuine but would still not be recognised by Samsung Kies as not coming from the parent company.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it possible to artificially generate IMEI numbers? That way the number would appear to be genuine but would still not be recognised by Samsung Kies as not coming from the parent company.

Yes, cloning an IMEI number is possible and carried out by the criminal fraternity.

That was something that alerted me to there being a possible problem.

I did check your IMEI number and I received the same message as you... "might", and not the usual make and model of phone, etc; that I would normally expect.

This site will, if you input your IMEI number, normally give you a detailed readout of your phone.

International Numbering Plans

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0
Here are the photos, sorry for the delay.

9pucd5.jpg

vhtjqo.jpg

331zyc3.jpg

Peace! ;3

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones