• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Sprint Voice Mail App. Safe To Remove?

Well here is one for the record book! IT'S NOT GONE!!!!!
I was playing with the phone and noticed that the widget for the Sprint voice mail was still in my app drawer. I tried dragging it off as I knew the program was gone but it came right back. So I looked in the System>app folder and the .apk is not there so I decided to shut the phone off and turn it back on again. Well low and behold the damn program came right back. It's asking me if I want to personalize it. Apparently there is something else left. The Google voice still works just fine so I'm okay there but the program is not gone from the phone. Go figure...............

So think about this one for awhile and let me know.

Lisa :thinking:

Upvote 0
I am not sure, as I am using a ROM that has no Sprint Bloatware, but I do recall some trying to remove it and having FC, I will research later and if I find something I will let you know. ;)

So if you take that out what else goes with it???? Maybe I am stuck with it in using memory now and can't get rid of it..............

Thanks Don for your help.

Lisa

Upvote 0
Okay DonB, I don't know what you do for a living but you have this android stuff dialed in. Driving home from work today I was thinking about all this and then it dawned on me that I didn't really delete the Sprint Voicemail. Earlier I was using Titanium and I was about to delete the Sprint voicemail app when I realized that it was telling me it was going to delete "Data". So in reality I only deleted the Voicemail data and not the entire program. You are probably correct that this program is securely nestled within the core of the Android/HTC/Sprint package. Truly amazing as this may be one of those things that you cannot get rid of. Unless it resides in it's own .apk somewhere and I can target that one program I'm very hesitant at this point to go after it. The interesting thing about deleting the data is it seems to have reverted back to the older version. A box came up after I rebooted the phone asking me if I wanted to personalize my voicemail like I did the first time months ago. Plus being it's not technically "working" as it's not personalized the sprint genie can't target me for upgrade as it doesn't know I'm using it. What do you think of that idea?

So here is where I am. I have the Google voice mail working and it's a very cool little program. I have a "Google phone number" that is free and actually works but I don't have to do anything about it as my original phone number works the voice mail just fine. So in reality I may have beaten Sprint to at least a draw on this one................

So to recap, I would say, if you don't want the voice to text sprint app you could go into Applications and delete the "DATA" and then it doesn't know who you are. Just leave the sprint voice mail application in the "unsetup state" and the monster "Mandatory Update" can't find you. You have effectively turned off the sprint voice mail that way and then you can install a third party like Google voice mail or Youmail or anything you want.

Give me you take on this DonB. I think this is whats going on and this may be the only fix to opt out of the Sprint program.................

Lisa ;)

Upvote 0
Okay DonB, I don't know what you do for a living but you have this android stuff dialed in. Driving home from work today I was thinking about all this and then it dawned on me that I didn't really delete the Sprint Voicemail. Earlier I was using Titanium and I was about to delete the Sprint voicemail app when I realized that it was telling me it was going to delete "Data". So in reality I only deleted the Voicemail data and not the entire program. You are probably correct that this program is securely nestled within the core of the Android/HTC/Sprint package. Truly amazing as this may be one of those things that you cannot get rid of. Unless it resides in it's own .apk somewhere and I can target that one program I'm very hesitant at this point to go after it. The interesting thing about deleting the data is it seems to have reverted back to the older version. A box came up after I rebooted the phone asking me if I wanted to personalize my voicemail like I did the first time months ago. Plus being it's not technically "working" as it's not personalized the sprint genie can't target me for upgrade as it doesn't know I'm using it. What do you think of that idea?

So here is where I am. I have the Google voice mail working and it's a very cool little program. I have a "Google phone number" that is free and actually works but I don't have to do anything about it as my original phone number works the voice mail just fine. So in reality I may have beaten Sprint to at least a draw on this one................

So to recap, I would say, if you don't want the voice to text sprint app you could go into Applications and delete the "DATA" and then it doesn't know who you are. Just leave the sprint voice mail application in the "unsetup state" and the monster "Mandatory Update" can't find you. You have effectively turned off the sprint voice mail that way and then you can install a third party like Google voice mail or Youmail or anything you want.

Give me you take on this DonB. I think this is whats going on and this may be the only fix to opt out of the Sprint program.................

Lisa ;)

Have you tried uninstalling the sprint VVM in manage applications? I don't know if this is an option for you, but I would look into it

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue as described in this thread. The author noted at the end that they were able to remove Sprint Voicemail completely from their phone. Can I ask how? I've tried for two days. I can't find a .apk in the system folder for voicemail. I can't find any reference to sprint_core.apk either. I know I removed the data (just like the author), but I can't get the icon out of my system tray. Any tips you can provide are appreciated. I have Titanium Backup and Root Explorer. My EVO is obviously rooted running Cyanogen 7.4rc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones