• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is there a "registry cleaning" app?

nightrider

Lurker
May 5, 2011
I have uninstalled apps reinstalled them weeks later and they remembered all the settings. Even used a different email address. In windows that would be an ini file. I had a program installed that. Showed differnt files on the. Phone and some had the same name as apps I uninstalled. So my question: is there a program like ccleaner for windows that cleans out program leftovers and such? I have all the cache and history cleaners already. I've notice its running slower also even though I have lots of space on phone and card.
Excuse typos, I'm all thumbs (really) on this my touch slide...

There is no registry on android, thus no registry cleaner. WHen you uninstall an app, it COMPLETELY uninstalls from the phone itself, unlike windows where it may leave things in the registry. However, most apps will save it's folder on the SD card for exactly that purpose, so if you want to reinstall the app, the settings/data may still be there. If you want to get rid of it, just go through your sd card and remove any folders from apps you dont have anymore.

Upvote 0
I understood it was linux and that there is not a registry involved but I did not know that it was not possible for a even a minute particle of the program to remain in the operating system. Is the OS also virus proof? I was under the impression that AV's are useless on android.
It isn't that Android is virus proof; the current AntiViruses only look for what is already known to be malicious, which means Google has already removed it from the market and sent out patches. Just use common sense: don't downloaded pirated apps and look at the permissions (a wallpaper with access to contacts and full internet is a massive red flag).

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
The operating system makes it very difficult to load malicious code into an Android.
(You have to agree to the permissions an app needs - a smart person asks why static wallpaper needs access to my contact list, et cetera)
The couple of nasty apps were found by the community, not any AV suite.
They are worthless...less - they waste battery.

Upvote 0
Before you uninstall the app, open menu>settings>applications and tap on the "all" tab. Find your app, tap on it and then select clear cache and clear app data. That will remove any residual settings. It may leave an app folder, but it would be empty at this point, unless it contained any user-downloaded media files.

Upvote 0
Before you uninstall the app, open menu>settings>applications and tap on the "all" tab. Find your app, tap on it and then select clear cache and clear app data. That will remove any residual settings. It may leave an app folder, but it would be empty at this point, unless it contained any user-downloaded media files.

This is the best way. But we cannot do it routinely. We always use shortcut to uninstall by uninstallers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones