• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a sight-reading/music theory app that you can use with a physical keyboard/piano?

roserm

Lurker
Jan 20, 2014
Is there a sight-reading/music theory app that you can use with a physical keyboard/piano?

I apologize if my question is confusing, but this is what I'm looking for in a nutshell: I'd like an app that allows me to practice sight reading and/or music theory skills (scales, chords, intervals, etc) by playing my keyboard. I do NOT want an app that relies on an on-screen keyboard. (It's fine if the app has one, but I really need to be able to use my REAL keyboard with the app.) Reason being that I'm trying to develop the muscle memory as well as train my ear, and playing a touchscreen piano will not help me at all with gaining muscle memory for a physical keyboard. Ideally, I'd like an app that gives you a note, interval, chord, scale, etc. and asks you to play it back on your keyboard.

Does anything like this exist? I have spent hours downloading countless piano apps and music theory apps and have yet to find something like this.

On a related note: do any of you have any other recommendations as far as music theory / ear training / sight reading apps go? I'm mostly interested in free apps, but I'm willing to pay for one if it's really good.

I would REALLY appreciate your help!! :)

To get really good at sight-reading, buy about a dozen sheets of whatever part you're learning. Put 10 pennies on your stand. Put the music in a pile. Pick one from the middle of the pile. Put it on the stand. When you can play it all the way through (this is a piece you've never played before), take a penny off the stand.

Keep going until there are no pennies on the stand.

(If you fluff, go back to measure 1 - and replace all the pennies you've removed.)

You don't perform chords, you don't perform scales, you perform pieces, so practice wih pieces.

Auto mechanics don't learn car engines by fixing watches, do they?

Upvote 0
Actually, you DO perform scales and chords, they are what make up pieces!!! I find it hilarious that you said that! In response to your flawed mechanic analogy: Don't you think mechanics should have expertise on ALL of the parts that make up the vehicles they work on? Hmm? :)

I was simply asking for something interactive that I could use on my tablet with my keyboard to explore music theory. That's all. I didn't need a method to learn how to play sheet music, I have plenty of sheets. I wanted something new. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Actually, you DO perform scales and chords, they are what make up pieces!!! I find it hilarious that you said that!
All I know about music theory is what I've learned from people who have been guest soloists at various orchestras around the world. I have to bow to your evidently greater expertise than mine. My apologies.

Upvote 0

I apologize if my question is confusing, but this is what I'm looking for in a nutshell: I'd like an app that allows me to practice sight reading and/or music theory skills (scales, chords, intervals, etc) by playing my keyboard. I do NOT want an app that relies on an on-screen keyboard. (It's fine if the app has one, but I really need to be able to use my REAL keyboard with the app.) Reason being that I'm trying to develop the muscle memory as well as train my ear, and playing a touchscreen piano will not help me at all with gaining muscle memory for a physical keyboard. Ideally, I'd like an app that gives you a note, interval, chord, scale, etc. and asks you to play it back on your keyboard.

Does anything like this exist? I have spent hours downloading countless piano apps and music theory apps and have yet to find something like this.

On a related note: do any of you have any other recommendations as far as music theory / ear training / sight reading apps go? I'm mostly interested in free apps, but I'm willing to pay for one if it's really good.

I would REALLY appreciate your help!! :)
I have found 2 apps. One called yousiscian is for guitar but they have a piano app in the works and for iPad there is one called joytunes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones