• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there anywhere I can go (online) to get these chinese phones?

blarelli

Mar 26, 2011
I keep seeing reviews for these sweet ZTE, lenovo, or xiaomi phones that are just priced fantastic, but only available in China or on ebay with a 200% markup.
Anybody have any legit sources to get these phones at the prices they're available overseas?

Unless they're unlocked they likely won't work outside their country. Advise caution

I don't know if this is completely true. I do know however that recently i believe the US said that these phones could house potential threats to security in the United States.

Otherwise i know there are deals everyday on Amazon with a couple phones marked at 50% off. You could always check that out.

Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind when buying phones directly from China(usually HK or Shenzhen) or on Ebay, it's caveat emptor(buyer beware).

It's worth reading the forum sticky about Chinese phones as well...
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html

ZTE is actually a name brand, and does have Play out of box. The rear being off brands? Dunno, never heard of 'em

The ZTEs sold in the West, e.g. UK, USA, all have Google Play. However the phones sold in China do not have Play. Same with Huawei.

Lenovo is certainly not an off-brand. One of the world's largest PC makers, and their phones are very popular in China. However Lenovo and Xiaomi are only sold in China and SE Asia AFAIK.

Upvote 0
Unless they're unlocked they likely won't work outside their country. Advise caution

Phones from China are unlocked. However a possible issue with a phone bought from the PRC, is that it might not have the US and Canadian 3G/4G bands, specifically 850MHz WCDMA. It will work, but you'll only get slow GSM/EDGE data. Also some people have posted about buying phones intended for China Mobile, these will not do 3G/4G data at all outside of China.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones