• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there just a plain one click root?

You could, but that backup would still be rooted

Would you be able to just "un-root" it and it would be good to go with the stock ROM then? I'm hoping it would be that easy! :) The reason I ask about doing it this way is because from a few stock ROM's I've seen on the internet, the version is still different than what is stock on my phone now (EG31 as opposed to EG30 which is what I have...not sure if Sprint would see that and think something was fishy at any time)

I'm chomping at the bit to root and customize my phone, but want to make sure I'll be able to put it back the way Sprint wants it for service seeing I have insurance on my phone. :-D

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I read above where superoneclick also works. anyone comment on which way would be better to go...the one initially discussed here or superoneclick? Do they both end up with the same result?

I initially want root for the wifi hotspot, but will eventually try some of the CM or other ICS goodies when they solidify.

Thank you. Sean

Upvote 0
I read above where superoneclick also works. anyone comment on which way would be better to go...the one initially discussed here or superoneclick? Do they both end up with the same result?

I initially want root for the wifi hotspot, but will eventually try some of the CM or other ICS goodies when they solidify.

Thank you. Sean

I would recommend the one here, just because so many people have confirmed that it works.

I'm also looking forward to CM or ICS!!

Upvote 0
I also used the Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) method and it worked great!

Now I hear that Sprint is pushing out an update. What will happen if I accept the update? Will I loose root? If I do loose root, can I use the same procedure again to re-root it? Sorry for the questions but I really know nothing about rooting and only did it for the wi-fi app. But I would like to learn more and eventually try flashing roms. Anyway right now I'm just wondering about the current update. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
If you use the root method without odin there is an option to unroot for taking back to the store. It has to be on stock rooted backup though. Just a little info and yes i have confirmed it does work to unroot the phone. It is one of the other options option B.

Thanks for confirming this! I was wondering if that would work out nicely like that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Quick question here. I just got a stock 2.3.6 S2 running gingerbread and the guy told me that sprint is pushing through an automated ICS update at the end of September. I get how to root my phone but once I do, how can I make sure that my phone doesn't automatically update. Please save me from this ICS hell

ICS has been fine for most people, you just hear more from the bad experiences. ICS was great for me and JB is also!

Upvote 0
I know it may not be bad for EVERYONE but it certainly was for me. I posted a topic in the other forum about all the hell I was going through on ICS. I exchanged my phone for a brand new one yesterday and im back on gingerbread and couldn't be happier. I just wanna make sure that my phone stays this way. Is there not a way to disable the automatic updates?!

Upvote 0
Will any of these methods work on an Alltel S2? I know this was for Sprint, but was wondering if it might work thanks for the help.

I would not Recommend trying it. These methods are designed to be used on Sprints network. Best case scenario, it will work and you won't be able to connect to your network. Worst case scenario, you brick your phone.

Upvote 0
Install this app and root your phone. This rooting method takes about ten seconds. Thanks to chainfire for this exploit. Read all about it here...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2050297

This method gives you root but does not install a recovery. Once rooted you can mobile odin the recovery of your liking.

Being a noob, i have know idea about rooting. Here's my reasoning for rooting. I need to get mass storage capabilty back for a third party recovery software. I deleted some photos by accident and need to get them back. That being said, i would need root capabilities or superuser to enable the mass storage but cant afford to lose the files because of rooting. Will this wipe my data?

Upvote 0
Being a noob, i have know idea about rooting. Here's my reasoning for rooting. I need to get mass storage capabilty back for a third party recovery software. I deleted some photos by accident and need to get them back. That being said, i would need root capabilities or superuser to enable the mass storage but cant afford to lose the files because of rooting. Will this wipe my data?

http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com...ted/SPH-D710_FI27_CL1127689_Rooted_NoData.exe

Follow that link, download the 1 click utility, that also WON'T delete your data as well.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jyEvJ92to64&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jyEvJ92to64

That's a video walk through on how to root from QBKing77 (same method I used and very easy as well).

If haven't managed to root by Thursday, i'll put together a detailed root guide along with ROM list and other goodies I've got planned on doing Thursday if I've got time to :)

DS

Reactions: fspata
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones