• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is this the correct part for spider cracked screen?

Cjohn8792

Sep 8, 2010
Upstate,NY
I have a Motorola Defy. I recently dropped it from waist high and it spider cracked; so much for "life-proof" as advertised by Motorola. I found this part at Amazon, Amazon.com: Motorola Defy MB525 Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement Glass Repair Part: Electronics I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is all I need. Is there a glass piece underneath this that can be cracked, is what I need to know. I have read other posts, but none relate to just knowing if this is the proper part. The crack is horrible all the way from the bottom left of the screen covering 75% of the phone. It actually made me laugh because although I can still use the phone 100%, the screen is horrible. I am waiting until I get a new phone to try to fix this one. If I am unable to fix it I am planning on strapping some explosives to it and letting my imagination go. Thanks in advance.

that doesn't look like the actual screen, just the digitizer thing that goes on top? you just cracked the outer screen then, that's not too bad. Dunno why they can't fix it for you, surely that would come under warranty as they are calling it "life-proof"?

even if they did make you pay, surely it's a cheap repair for them?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'd recommend buying the glass digitiser and front casing complete. I got mine from Ebay (sorry can't post the link). The old glass digitiser is glued into the frame of the phone and it looks quite difficult to get out. Using a complete unit was very easy.

Two things to remember - you have to take the sim card out to get the main circuit board out. And if you change the casing you need to remove the speaker from the old casing and put it in the new one - it's glued in with a rubbery glue and can be prised out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones