• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I've no real reason to root other than wanting more space for apps...

UKseagull

Android Enthusiast
May 30, 2010
York UK
I bought my Desire earlier this year from CPW, it's an unbranded UK phone. I've just checked and the bootloader shows as 0.93.0001, it's the Amoled version.

I'm very happy with the HTC Sense interface, but I just wish I had more space for apps. The Froyo apps to sd feature isn't really of much use. :thinking:

I've looked at numerous posts about rooting and to be fair, I get a bit lost. :eek:

I'm reluctant to risk ruining my pride and joy (I couldn't get away with buying another), but the lack of app space bugs me so I think I'm going to have to consider rooting at some point.

Is it possible to root with my hboot version?
Can I continue to use my current HTC Sense?

Lack of space was THE ONLY reason I chose to root. Tried to avoid it but the constant low storage messages became a real pain. Do your homework and look at rooting with unrEVOked3 first, then read about replacement ROMS. There are some really good ROMS based on 2.2 with Sense, with the benefit of vastly increased storage and a number of useful additional features.

Upvote 0
I was wondering the same thing. I think the short answer to not going above 512MB is that ROM Manager doesn't give you an option to do it > 512MB. You would have to do it manually, and as danfrance has suggested in another thread to me, this seems to be a more advanced task.

I still would like to do it I think.. I have rooted, installed teppic's ROM w/ Apps2SD+, installed not very many apps, yet I only have 60 MB of internal left.

Upvote 0
I was wondering the same thing. I think the short answer to not going above 512MB is that ROM Manager doesn't give you an option to do it > 512MB. You would have to do it manually, and as danfrance has suggested in another thread to me, this seems to be a more advanced task.

I still would like to do it I think.. I have rooted, installed teppic's ROM w/ Apps2SD+, installed not very many apps, yet I only have 60 MB of internal left.

512 Mb should be enough for most people.

However, if you want to take it above that, though it may be dubbed advanced, the process is simple enough.

You need a partition software. I'd suggest a bootable LiveCD called Gparted. You just have to burn the cd image you download to a cd, and boot system with usb plugged in. You just choose your USB from the graphical menu, choose one FAT32 partition (major) and one more partition-ext2, ext3 or ext4 (depending on the support by the ROM you choose). Don't go over 1.5 Gb though for the ext partition because there seems to be some issues over that size.

Once you do it, it's very simple.

Another option is to partition with a Windows tool like Partition Magic/Paragon. Yet another is to use a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu. Gparted comes built in.

Upvote 0
I followed danfrance's Apps2SD+ FAQ and installed the ROM he suggested if you wanted to keep Sense (teppics ROM), and I have no doubt that this was the best thing I could have done for my Desire.

Yes, it is kinda scary, but in the end you will be pleasantly surprised on how easy it really is.

An unexpected (HUGE) benefit in flashing with teppic's ROM was flashing the optional power saving mod. This has improved my battery life (remember to re-conditioning the battery after doing your wipe + ROM install).

Increased internal storage (although I feel that I should have more than 512MB) and improved battery life, (plus the option to change the boot animation!) were enough for me to take the plunge.

Do it, you won't regret it.

Upvote 0

Only 60mb! Can anyone explain why that would be? :thinking:

Some questions:

• Which is generally considered the best option ext2 or ext3? I seem to recall that this may have impact on SD card life, or am I mixing that up with flash drives?
  • How do you flash the extras, i.e app2sd+, is it done through a menu after rooting?
  • Is there a guide to 'unroot'?
  • I've downloaded the RUU Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE file (just in case) and it's only around 10mb in size, the Teppic's zip I have is around 150mb. Why such a large difference in file size if they're both ROM's? Is is a difference in file type?

Upvote 0
Pretty sure that RUU file size sounds wrong. Last time I downloaded one (just before rooting) it was about 95mb.

It did take me a couple of attempts as the first site (linked to on XDA)kept ending the download after about 10-15mb. No error, just stalled and then ended - this was on a pc not via phone.

I'd find another site and try to download it again.

Upvote 0
I'm downloading a rom which I think is the correct one for my phone, it helped to search for 'Bravo' and not Desire!

RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.10.405.2_R_Radio_32.44.00.32U
_5.09.05.30_2_release_142828_signed.exe...

Does the latter part of the file name have any relevance, my phone doesn't show that part?

release_142828_signed.exe...

Upvote 0
This file now shows as being around 88mb, does that still sound too small? I don't think there are any md5 checksums.

Q3vs0.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes you can use that RUU. But may aswell get the 2.29 latest version.

Is that also on Shipped roms, I didn't spot it? Is it the same radio as my current one?

My 2nd download had finished at 42mb in size, I don't trust either of the roms that I've downloaded today. Does anyone know of an alternative 'reliable' source?

Edit: I've installed a different Firefox download addon, that shows that the file size should be 166.84mb. Time for another go.

Upvote 0
Thanks again danfrance.

What benefits does the newer rom have over my version and does it also need the newer radio as shown in EddyOS's sig? It seems that flashing radios can be a risky business.

Last but not least, what exactly is the best method to unroot after using Unrevoked? Is it simply (simple is good) a case of having the correct rom for the phone on the pc, starting up HTC Sync and then double clicking on the rom?

I apologize for all the questions, I'm just trying to gather all the info I need to reduce the risk of cocking up somewhere down the line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones