• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jealous of Nexus One

I am not jealous at all. I like my Eris a lot. More and more everyday. Sure it has its quirks but what smartphone doesnt? I saw a video of the Nexus one and sure the live wallpaper looks neat but seriously I think it would get old after a while. Yes its got a larger screen and all that but I like my screen size. My brother has the iphone and mine looks so much better than his and he even plays with mine all the time. I guess good things do come in smaller packages.....

I had Tmo service before, yes its awesome in the city but once you step out, zero reception. Verizon has the best reception bar none.

Upvote 0
While those are good things, the N1 also has:

- a bigger, OLED screen
- a 1 GHz processor
- LED Flash
- Tri-color clickable trackball
- Second microphone for active noise cancellation

among other things...

Very true, but six or eight months from now, the next version will have all of those things, plus it will have the ability to microwave a burrito from across the room and shoot down meteors.

All I'm saying is that you're never going to have the absolute top-of-the-line phone for more than a month or so at a time. I totally understand the jealousy of the N1... the OP said it well: it's everything we wanted the Eris to be. But the next phone will be everything we wanted the N1 to be, and the phone after that, and after that...

Unless this little guy breaks or I come into a LOT of money between now and the end of my contract, I'm just gonna keep patiently (well, mostly patiently) biding my time until I get to play with 2.x on my device, and look forward to seeing what the hell the newest Android phone looks like a year and a half from now.

Upvote 0
Well after reading more info, I am going to side with you guys and be happy with my Eris. Yes, the N1 has some awesome new features, but I don't really need them.
I'd say it's similar to the iPhone situation.
The Eris is like the 3G and the N1 is like the 3GS.
A faster processor and some other minor things. But overall, if our OS can update to the same as the N1, then we don't have much to complain about.

The Eris does have some advantages such as being more compact while having multitouch, etc.

I'm just looking forward for the OS update! :)

Just to re-confirm (and make me happy), the Droid Eris will be getting the OS update and be able to do pretty much everything the N1 can do, right?

Upvote 0
Just to re-confirm (and make me happy), the Droid Eris will be getting the OS update and be able to do pretty much everything the N1 can do, right?

Don't know if there is any absolutely concrete release from either HTC of Verizon, but there's been a great deal of chatter, and there have been leaks and memos that Eris will be upgraded to 2.X. However, it's apparently a lock that the Hero is getting 2.1, and considering that and the Eris are nearly identical, there's no reason to believe we won't get it.

According to Gizmodo: We know every phone that was slated to get Android 2.0, like the HTC Hero, is going direct to 2.1, though.

So yeah, you can rest pretty easy knowing you'll be getting some kind of upgrade. Just how soon, nobody seems to know. They keep saying first quarter of this year, so that's a pretty wide window of uncertainty (basically between now and March).
If for some reason we DON'T get upgraded to 2.1, I will join you in rioting in the streets.

Upvote 0
Not Jealous at all. If I wanted bigger "better" faster more in my phone I would have just bought a Moto Droid. I wanted exactly what I got and I am VERY happy with it. I doubt I will be looking for a new phone any time soon. I plan and expect the Eris to hold me over for the 4G line of Android phones. By then I will be excited to use the 3.5" to 4.0" 1080p screen of the all touch (keep that keyboard off my phone) device running a Sense UI infused 5.0 OS with 4 Gb RAM and 8 Gb ROM (don't forget the 1 Tb micro Sd card) on the smooth running 4 ghz dual core processor. The front facing video camera for video calls will be nice and the 2 Gb digital camera with dual LCD flash will too. I will be most pleased with the 96000 mah battery and its 65 weeks of running time.

:D

Upvote 0
Not Jealous at all. If I wanted bigger "better" faster more in my phone I would have just bought a Moto Droid. I wanted exactly what I got and I am VERY happy with it. I doubt I will be looking for a new phone any time soon. I plan and expect the Eris to hold me over for the 4G line of Android phones. By then I will be excited to use the 3.5" to 4.0" 1080p screen of the all touch (keep that keyboard off my phone) device running a Sense UI infused 5.0 OS with 4 Gb RAM and 8 Gb ROM (don't forget the 1 Tb micro Sd card) on the smooth running 4 ghz dual core processor. The front facing video camera for video calls will be nice and the 2 Gb digital camera with dual LCD flash will too. I will be most pleased with the 96000 mah battery and its 65 weeks of running time.

:D

Not jealous at all...because when it comes out and if I decide I want it, I'll figure out a way to get it. As I said before, what I wanted when I bought the Eris was an Eris / Droid love child. Now it's here.

We'll see how it stacks up when it comes out. Hell, the 2.1 upgrade with Sense may fix all the things that I don't like about my Eris and it may not be worth the trouble. But the display is one of the things that has nagged me about the Eris, and that can't be fixed with software.

I like choices, though. And I'd much rather have my Eris than a Droid. Was at Best Buy yesterday returning something and played with the Droids. BLECH.

Upvote 0
Jealous? Naaahhh. It's on T-Mob. And like needsdecaf said above, if I wanted a nice phone on a lousy network I would have just gotten an iPhone.

I had the Motorola Droid before the Eris, and while I do miss that large, vivid screen that now the Nexus One has, one thing I still prefer is the physical call and end buttons. Don't think you could have them without changing the size of the phone, which would be a no-go for me. So while I would like the higher resolution, I'll accept the trade off of having the physical buttons any day of the week.

As far as the OS goes... Googles demo shows that 2.1 has "tap" zoom like the Droid, so I don't thing they have it working with the Sense GUI completely yet... I had read earlier in one of the articles that mentioned all the Droid phones that Google was limiting 2.1 to "their" phone for a while. Don't know what the source of information was (inside Google or HTC), but that makes sense. Maybe if we get the 2.0 update, Sense UI will still work (mainly pinch zoom), and if we get 2.1 we'll lose it until the next update, but either way I look forward to getting ONE of these updates.

Finally, to "Verizon's" statement that they'll get a CDMA version of this phone in the spring... It wouldn't surprise me at all if it doesn't happen until the Holiday shopping season (around November) of next year. Remember, we've all been told and told that our OS would be upgraded "soon." Then it was "December," now it's "first quarter 2010" which in reality could be March 31 (THREE MORE MONTHS).

Maybe they will get it, but then it will still be just like a mix of our phone and the Motorola Droid... not enough for me. The whole idea of Google getting into this market is to make a phone "portable." In other words, an unlocked phone not tied to any carrier.

Until all carriers get on a common technology (CDMA vs. GSM vs. LTE) and then make it truly open here in the U.S., then the Google phone, or any phone for that matter, will only be as good as the network it's on...

Google does, however, have the brainpower and ca$h to be a game changer. And THAT is exciting. I'd love to have a glimpse at the power of these devices in about 20 years... Get the technology away from carriers whose interests are self serving and into the hands of a company who is known to think outside the box and, well... Just look at what Google did to all the old "internet" companies that combined their service, their e-mail, and their search engines (think AOL) into a single mandatory package. Kind of sounds like the iPhone.

Upvote 0
As far as the OS goes... Googles demo shows that 2.1 has "tap" zoom like the Droid, so I don't thing they have it working with the Sense GUI completely yet... I had read earlier in one of the articles that mentioned all the Droid phones that Google was limiting 2.1 to "their" phone for a while. Don't know what the source of information was (inside Google or HTC), but that makes sense. Maybe if we get the 2.0 update, Sense UI will still work (mainly pinch zoom), and if we get 2.1 we'll lose it until the next update, but either way I look forward to getting ONE of these updates.

Sprint and HTC both announced on Twitter last month that the Hero will get 2.1 in 2010 at least

Upvote 0
The Nexus One costs a lot more than an Eris. ($530!!??) And it's on T-Mobile. Price and carrier were definite considerations in my choice. If they both came out the same day, I don't know that I would choose the Nexus One anyway. YMMV.

Guys, the Nexus one is coming to Verizon in the Spring.

Price is $530 with no carrier. I'd guess that with a program, it would be $199, same as the Droid. It's $179 at TMobile.

https://www.google.com/phone/choose?locale=en_US&s7e=

Upvote 0
Guys, the Nexus one is coming to Verizon in the Spring.

Price is $530 with no carrier. I'd guess that with a program, it would be $199, same as the Droid. It's $179 at TMobile.

https://www.google.com/phone/choose?locale=en_US&s7e=

I also think that Google is going to be in control of whose plan will be eligible to get the phone at a discounted price with a new contract, much like they are doing with T-Mobile. So people with family plans on Tmo, who have a line eligible for an upgrade have to pay full price to have the N1 and do not qualify for the subsidized price. I am sure the same will happen with VZW. That may be why when you are on the Google site and you click for ino on the N1 and VZW/Vodaphone, if you can not wait for Q2 2010, it leads you to getting the Moto Droid.

Upvote 0
This game that Verizon is playing with the phones is silly and ridiculous. The Eris is too slow and small for any heavy usage (with a terrible battery.) The Nexus One seems to fix that problem, but when will you ever get one? I finally gave in and got the iPhone. Android is still half-baked and maybe in 2 years it will be caught up with the iPhone community. Also the upgrade in local AT&T service tipped the ball in their favor IMHO.

Upvote 0
This game that Verizon is playing with the phones is silly and ridiculous. The Eris is too slow and small for any heavy usage (with a terrible battery.) The Nexus One seems to fix that problem, but when will you ever get one? I finally gave in and got the iPhone. Android is still half-baked and maybe in 2 years it will be caught up with the iPhone community. Also the upgrade in local AT&T service tipped the ball in their favor IMHO.

Have fun paying for apps....

Android isn't half baked, it's different. Being open source, you never know what you're going to get. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. But for me, better than Apple's proprietary rip-off.

Upvote 0

Half baked? I assume you have little or no experience with Linux. The Linux kernel is much more advanced than your beloved Apple or should I say UNIX kernel. Enjoy your iPhone.

Upvote 0
I really do like this phone though, it's my first "smartphone". But, it's my opinion that HTC is probably working on the Google phone instead of fixing the existing customers.

I agree that I'd like to see a lot of the updates that you mentioned, but the fact that HTC is even working on and planning a release of SenseUI on android 2.x is showing that they care about their current customers.

I can live with 1.5 for a while longer, especially since I bought the phone for half the price of the Moto Droid. I also simply love sense UI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones