• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jealous of Nexus One

Why the Nexus One Makes Other Android Phones Obsolete - PC World

The Google Nexus One, unveiled on Tuesday, has all the bells and whistles to challenge Apple's ever-popular iPhone -- thanks in large part to the slick new version of the Android OS that it runs. But if you use an earlier Google Android phone, don't hold your breath waiting for the latest version of Android to make its way to your handset. It will likely be a while before you get to taste the entire Nexus bonanza.
Here's a prime example: the Motorola Droid, available on Verizon Wireless. Late last year, the Droid was launched with a fanfare, touting the then-brand-new and unique Android 2.0.1 version of Google's mobile operating system. It had some sleek GPS navigation features and an improved interface, which were the best that Android had to offer - until Google unveiled the Nexus One this week.
186006-android_phones_original.jpg
From G1 (right) to Nexus One: the evolution of Android phones.

The Nexus One runs on Google Android version 2.1. It builds on some of the new features introduced on the Droid and adds more, such as live wallpapers, an expanded home screen (5 instead of 3 panels), a new home-panel navigation system, 3D photo gallery, and redesigned app drawer.
Hardware advancements have allowed manufacturers like HTC and Google to create speedier phones and to add sleek features such as voice-enabled typing. Point in fact, the Nexus One runs on a 1-GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, while the Motorola Droid's processor runs at just over half that speed (550 MHz). Older Android phones, such as the HTC Hero and the T-Mobile G1 both run at 528 MHz. RAM and ROM memory have also doubled over time.
Each device was clearly designed in mind for a specific version of Google Android, and they all got better in time. Certain Android updates (1.5, 1.6) have updated the mobile experience of users across the board, but the latest 2.0 and 2.1 iterations of the OS are taking longer than expected to make their way down to older Android phones.
With such major differences in hardware between the Nexus One and older generations of Android phones, it's likely that the 2.1 update will take a while to filter down to the other Android phones, some of which were not speedy even with the initial release of the OS. To back this up, Android phones manufacturers are still using inexact timeframes for the arrival of 2.1 on older devices ("soon" is the buzzword).
This sort of approach to updating phones to the newest version across the board is reminiscent of the declining fortunes of Microsoft's Windows Mobile. You can still buy new phones today running on the 6.1 version while others run on 6.5, and the upgrade policy is more than confusing for the average user. Actually Google uses the same multiple manufacturers approach as Microsoft, only that it licenses for free its Android OS.
Take in comparison Apple - even on the original iPhone (2007), you can still run the latest software update (3.1.2), albeit not as fast as on the iPhone 3GS and without certain features such as GPS or video recording. However, iPhone users, old or new, have always had the choice to freely upgrade to the latest software version, usually within days of the launch of the new version.
On the long run, the extended period of time until older Android phones users receive the latest version of software could stimulate the sales of newer devices, such as the Nexus One. But this could also have downsides for the search giant, as users on a budget, but always in search for the newest features will opt for other platforms (such as the iPhone), where new features and updates make their way down to older models fast and free.

Upvote 0
Have we all forgotten one thing about the Nexus One? It runs Android 2.1 it's not THAT much better than the Eris or the Moto Droid. The Moto runs 2.0 and of course the Eris runs 1.5. Both of those phones are Google branded (just flip the phone over). The Eris will be at least 2.0 in the next couple of months. Yes it has a huge display but it's probably better than the phones we all just upgraded from. I know it was better than mine.

Upvote 0
Have we all forgotten one thing about the Nexus One? It runs Android 2.1 it's not THAT much better than the Eris or the Moto Droid. The Moto runs 2.0 and of course the Eris runs 1.5. Both of those phones are Google branded (just flip the phone over). The Eris will be at least 2.0 in the next couple of months. Yes it has a huge display but it's probably better than the phones we all just upgraded from. I know it was better than mine.

For many people the display isn't the big deal, the processor is. The 1Ghz snapdragon is VERY impressive. The OS update will be nice for everyone, but short of cracking open the phone and doing some serious modifications, nothing out right now will match that processor.

Upvote 0
The larger display of the Nexus one I'm sure is nice but I see it is that new AMOLED type. I briefly owned the Samsung Rogue before switching to the Eris and although a dumb phone the Rogue also had an AMOLED. The colors did "pop" at you more but they also seemed a lot more inaccurate when viewing photos and things of that nature.

Upvote 0
I'll be completely 100% satisfied with my HTC Droid Eris once I get the 2.1 OS upgrade. I was a little jealous of the Nexus One at first, but after thinking it through, I don't really need/want/have the money to get it. Plus I hate that it doesn't have physical call buttons.

Agree emphatically. Every one of the Droid phones has +/-. While that larger screen and superfast processor make me a tad jealous, one of the main reasons I traded my Droid for the Eris is the physical call buttons. Disappointed to see that the Nexus One doesn't have them... Maybe by the time I'm up for an upgrade again, the Nexus 5000 (LOL) will have them and Verizon/AT&T/T-Mob/etc. will all be on the same platform, so paying $500 for an unlocked phone will really be worth it... until then, I love having the Eris on Verizon, but will be even happier once we get 2.0 or (hopefully) 2.1!

Upvote 0
For those of you who are jealous of this new phone I'm guessing you haven't read the live blogs because if you did you would know:

2.It currently only has 512mb ram, which means only 512 mb of apps on your phone.
Wrong. Nexus has 512 of ROM and 512mb of RAM. Its is clear you dont even know the difference between ROM and RAM.

Eris has 288mb of RAM which after the OS boots you only have a CRAMMED 90mb of usable memory left to run apps in

The Nexus on the other hand has almost DOUBLE the RAM and TRIPPLE the usable RAM for apps after OS boot.

If you cant understand why this is so superior to the Eris then you need to learn about computers.

Upvote 0
Wrong. Nexus has 512 of ROM and 512mb of RAM... Eris has 288mb of RAM which after the OS boots you only have a CRAMMED 90mb of usable memory left to run apps in...

The portions I've quoted from your post make an excellent point , but did I hear/read somewhere (in this forum, I believe) that they (HTC) is working to get it to where apps can be stored on the memory card. Now I don't know if it's true or not, but this would solve not only the Eris' limited capacity (upgrade to a 16G - and all the apps are tiny), but any HTC device.

Could be off, but I know I read it somewhere... and from a software point, it could work. The OS data call would just have to go to the storage media with a read/write function.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Anyone considering returning their Eris if VZW is still offering the 60 day return? I've got a few days left if they are. I could go back to my old phone until the Nexus comes to ZVW in Mar/Apr time frame.

Or even sooner per this post:
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/34596-verizon-nexus-one.html

I did it today. I was having too many problems with my Eris, and I could tell from these forums that I wasn't the only one. I plan on getting the N1 unless others report the same problems. Without guaranteed updates, I didn't want to get stuck for 2 years with a buggy Eris or a hefty cancellation fee... which sucks, because deep down inside, I love the Eris.

Upvote 0
Google Faces Deluge of Nexus One Complaints - PC World

Google support forums are awash with people looking for help for problems with their Nexus One phones -- and unable to find it.
The volume of complaints points to a problem that Google faces now that it has decided to try to push a new cell-phone-buying model in the U.S. Since most people buy subsidized phones from a mobile operator, they turn to the operator when they have problems.
But Google is selling the phone directly to end-users. That means many users are turning to it first, and the search giant doesn't have the kind of customer support that mobile-phone users are accustomed to.
Google appears to be only accepting e-mail customer queries, to which it pledges to reply in one to two days -- far too long, say most people who are complaining online.
Many people are also turning to T-Mobile and HTC, but getting little help there. T-Mobile is often referring people back to either Google or HTC for answers to questions. HTC is often referring people back to T-Mobile, according to complaints online.
One customer going by the name Roland78 said he was transferred between T-Mobile and HTC four times, spending a total of one-and-a-half hours on the phone with customer service. "T-Mobile also said Google hasn't provided them with any support documents for the phone. Welcome to direct sales Google!" he wrote.
Another using the name SouthFlGuy was also sent back and forth between HTC and T-Mobile after finding no help from Google. "I guess I was under the wrong impression but I thought Google would handle the service on the phone," he wrote.
Several people on one thread regarding poor 3G performance on the phone report being told by HTC customer service people that the Nexus One doesn't support 3G, although the phone does. Another got an e-mail response in five hours from Google suggesting that the user try restarting the phone to see if that solves the problem.
More than 425 comments are listed on a thread about service eligibility issues. Some of them are from people who say that they ought to be eligible for the subsidized price of the phone but the Google sales site says they aren't. Many others are simply complaining of a policy that requires even longtime T-Mobile customers to pay more for the phone than new customers.
Yet others on the site complain about placing an order and failing to get even an order confirmation three days later.
Google, T-Mobile and HTC did not immediately reply to requests for comment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones