• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL] ZV2 Overclocked to 1.2GHz by ndno

Craptorman

Mar 2, 2012
ndno has successfully modified the kernel source code to overclock the Marquee to 1.2GHz and was kind enough to make us Ignite users an overclocked kernel as well. The governor is defaulted to "ondemand" in an attempt to get the phone to use the full range of frequencies for battery saving purpose, instead of running at 1.2GHz all the times; you can change that governor behavior with SetCpu.

Prerequisites are the usual:

Rooted
CWM installed
ZV2-based ROM

Instructions

1. Download and copy zip file to sdcard
  2. Boot into CWM
  3. Make a nandroid backup (highly recommended in case you have to recover)
  4. Install from zip file on sdcard
  5. Choose zip from sdcard
  6. Flash
  7. ??? Wipe cache, fix permissions ??? Not sure, I didn't have to.
  8. Reboot
  9. Download SetCpu from market and configure whichever way you like it; ndno set the governor to "ondemand" by default so he thinks it will throttle the speeds from low (300MHz) to high (1200MHz) depending on the load
WARNINGS: as usual, I, nor ndno are responsible for damaging your phone if you want to experiment with this kernel; overclocking can damage the OMAP processor on the phone, as well as giving you worse battery performance. This is an experimental kernel so use with caution; I have run this kernel on my phone for most of a day without issues. Also, ndno may not be able to troubleshoot any issue as he does not have an Ignite to test with.

Credits: ndno says this is more of a "hacking" effort. He's pretty sure PlayfulGod and Bloodawn (and asadullah) are hard at work with their own kernel for the Marquee. Thanks to Monster, PlayfulGod, Bloodawn, and asadullah for getting the ball rolling to give us a better user experience on this phone and the Marquee.

Performance notes: I usually get ~2100 on AnTuTu benchmark; when OCed to 1200MHz, I get 2464., a nice 300+ points increase. If using the USB to PC cable connection trick, I get 2955!!!

Changelog:

[5/6/12 - v1.4]

zv2KernelOC_1.2GHz_UV_100mV_v1.4.zip - 1.2GHz OC kernel w/ Bloodawn's Hyper 0.2 ramdisk; 3 lower frequencies undervolted by 100mV to get even better battery life.

DOWNLOAD BELOW

Code:
300MHz - 900mV
600MHz - 1062.5mV
1000MHz - 1250mV
1200MHz - 1375mV

Attachments

• zv2KernelOC_1.2GHz_UV_100mV_v1.4.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: ndno
I would go with the 3D one on the other thread. Either of these should work with the ROM [ROM][GENERIC??] LG AS855 (Ignite) Craptorman_Mod_1.0 beta [BEATS]. You can double check for ZV2 by going to Settings/About Phone/Baseband version, you should see zv2 there.

I've been runnning this rom and the 3D kernel for months now without issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones