• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lets talk About Donald Trump :)

I also want to 'cut back on education.' That is to say, eliminate the department of education, change the rules that generally prevent unqualified teachers from being fired, and bust the teacher's unions. I want kids to learn history, not a carefully edited version of history.

Republicans do not want to cut back on education, they want better education and this means changing how it is offered to the kids. This means making changes that many teachers do not want so they paint us as kid hating, war mongering, greedy bastards. Sorry, but that ain't us.

And most republicans do indeed want to kill most green energy programs and initiatives because they are largely based on silly science, foolish assumptions, and politics that have little to do with reality.

Republicans largely want to return to when we had a growing economy, leaders that are qualified to do the job, and we want them to believe in and follow the Constitution.

This is not happening today.

Bob

HA! I read this after I posted. Right on Bob!

Upvote 0
I don't know what the % of Pell grant increase was. Do you?
no, hence why I asked
I agree, which is why we need to get our education system working better. Pumping money into it, obviously isn't working... So I don't think more money will magically fix the problem. K-12 public education, I think the major problem is too much money eaten by administrative costs.
adnistration can be a problem, some areas have to little, others too much
I just dont think its good to cut federal grants while states are cutting their budgets
but, yeah your system may need a rethink
What is 70% of clean energy funding? What are you talking about? Its hard to debate one line sentences that don't elaborate on what your talking about.
many GOP candidates support
Thats straight false, do you actually think the government bailed out every bank in trouble? No they didn't. Do you remember Lehman Brothers, 4th largest in US? It went bankrupt, government didn't bail them out, and the world didn't implode.
they bailed out evry (proportionate to the US) very large bank Lehman was the exception, it had disastrous consequences

But, like I said, I can kinda accept stabilizing the banking system. But why auto companies? And why 800 billion (Iraq and Afganastan so far cost us 1 trillion) for a "stimulus" that had virtually no effect on the economy?
the job losses would have been massive
Not really, its so states can choose the best way to spend that money, instead of a one size fits all federal system.
but it would still seem to me that they plan to shift the costs more to the states, no?
No it doesn't, it goes to pay for the growing entitlement programs no democrat wants to cut funds from... and even if it did, do you know how silly that sounds? Take money from companies, decreasing their ability to create jobs, so you can give it back to give them incentive to create jobs? Really how does that make any sense at all?
employment subsidies, wage top-ups, tax breaks
My max wait to see a doctor... a few days. Why do you think the government is the solution to everything?
look, I dont think an NHS system could work in the US.. however the other two models would work very well - and leave you with more disposable income
How much of your pay check do you get to keep every week?
most European countries have relatively high rates of tax
much of this goes to pay for government healthcare, to subsidise premiums (most of western europe)

In Ireland taxes werent high - as our tax system was built on a bubble, and the state provides healthcare for only about 40% of the population - and thats limited
I don't know what your talking about again.
the reported problems
Nether is the free market bad or scary... why not use what works when it works and forget about these silly labels. IF the UK likes its systems, and wants to keep them great for them. They should do what suits them. But why do so many Europeans get upset the US doesn't want to have a system just like theirs?

A truly free market is very very scary

Upvote 0
I also want to 'cut back on education.' That is to say, eliminate the department of education, change the rules that generally prevent unqualified teachers from being fired, and bust the teacher's unions. I want kids to learn history, not a carefully edited version of history.

Republicans do not want to cut back on education, they want better education and this means changing how it is offered to the kids. This means making changes that many teachers do not want so they paint us as kid hating, war mongering, greedy bastards. Sorry, but that ain't us.

And most republicans do indeed want to kill most green energy programs and initiatives because they are largely based on silly science, foolish assumptions, and politics that have little to do with reality.

Republicans largely want to return to when we had a growing economy, leaders that are qualified to do the job, and we want them to believe in and follow the Constitution.

This is not happening today.

Bob

Bob, I agree with several of the points you make above. I don't think there is a need for a federal department of education. There are no federal schools last time I checked and their role isn't very well defined. Lately they've been doling out money to states and school districts that are getting 'creative and innovative'. Some of the requirements to get this funding are onerous and not very well explained so why not just chop the entire tree down?

As a part-time college adjunct there are a handful of changes I'd like to see made to higher education. For example, I am limited to two courses per semester, I can't teach summer classes and my full-time tenured colleagues have yearly publishing requirements, which are difficult to fulfill since only they can teach summer classes, in addition to 3-4 classes per semester. How do you handle that workload and publish a scholarly paper? I think rules for qualified adjuncts should be relaxed and greater attention should be made to how well a teacher instructs their students. It has to be more than an end of the semester student survey (now done all online) because I have no idea who reads them or if the answers matter.

A lot of things that should be happening today are not happening. I think a fair place to start would be term limits so entrenched candidates for 30 years don't forget the citizens they were elected to represent and new candidates would bring an influx of fresh ideas (in theory at least).

I can't speak as to whether most Republicans stand for the things you mentioned towards the end of your post.

Upvote 0
I am not so sure about Donald Trump. I doubt he will run, however. He is more qualified than Obama. Clearly, he understands business and I think he loves this country.

As for president, I'll need to hear more from the man.

It is quite easy to discount him; the Donald is well known and most people likely do not think of him as 'presidental material.' If we can get past "the Donald's" persona and give him a chance to seruiously talk about the country as a legitimate cantidate, perhaps yes, I'll Vote Donald.

Do you think for a minute that he would make or push for a policy change that is going to hurt his personal holdings while he is in office?
Do you think anyone that is a 'businessman' would do so?

The 'free markets' as described by most people including Trump are scary beasts.
I grew up under the guy in New York.... most of us know how he operates... it's him first, always...
That's not a bad thing, after all who does not look out for themselves first?

However... being president with vast holdings that he can further being in that position?
Pass.

Putting his holdings in trust is not enough....
I think anyone that wants to be president has to divest themselves of all assets.... you are entering a life of public servitude after all.

How many do it?

Reactions: TheBrit
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones