• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Linux] Google Chrome installing plugins without permission

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
Installed Chrome to my Kubuntu 12.10 system on my laptop. when i opened it today, was browsing this forum and suddenly a tab appeared telling me 'Adblock Plus has been installed'

First of all, i did NOT choose to install Adblock Plus. Secondly, i am not the kind of person who appreciates things installing on my devices without my explicit permission. Now, i have taken great adjustment periods to get used to Android having control over all my apps and which run and which do not (which i still personally desire control over and am a bit uncomfortable with auto-memory management even today) but when apps themselves install things behind my back then tell me i feel violated. is there a setting somewhere to disable this? Chrome has never done this kind of thing on Windows, Android or iOS

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones