• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lollipop Disaster!

After today's upgrade, I have completely lost both the Google Play Store icon and its App!! After the upgrade they just disappeared. I tried adding the GPS icon to a screen but it is NOT in my list of Apps!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using the Go Launcher v.Z on Verizon. The other details folks smarter than me might need are: Hardware v. N900V.07, Build # LRX21V.N900VVRUEOB6, & Android v. 5.0.

Naturally, I need the Google Play Store icon to download a new app or update an existing one, I've tried using a browser to go to GPS (play.google.com) but -- guess what -- they don't have an app for Google Play Store!!! And, the website doesn't seem to provide any way to upgrade an app.

Help!

try a battery pull.. let it reboot.

also...
I have heard that a Hard rest .. will clean up all issues.
but it will also delete everything.. put the phone back to stock, but with lollipop as the version.
(MGHT leave all user files alone: pics, videos.. and etc.. )

So backup all important data before you do this.. just in case

Upvote 0
try a battery pull.. let it reboot.

also...
I have heard that a Hard rest .. will clean up all issues.
but it will also delete everything.. put the phone back to stock, but with lollipop as the version.
(MGHT leave all user files alone: pics, videos.. and etc.. )

So backup all important data before you do this.. just in case
This is good advice, I always to a factory reset after installing a major update, I know it's a pain sometimes but I think it's definitely worth it.

Reactions: dynomot
Upvote 0
Thanks, everyone for the advice. So, I spent two days backing up everything, factory reset and then rebuilding. Mumble-grumble. Now I got the icons back that had disappeared, BUT ... I cannot finds SHORTCUTS. I've had several set up to dial and/or text good friends and family, but I can't find them anymore. I use GO Launcher EX but could always use it to set them up. I don't know if GO took that to the pro (paid) level or if Lollipop took them away. Help!

Shortcuts is the best feature of Android that makes iPhone users jealous IMHO!

Upvote 0
Factory reset wipes out ALL customization, user data, etc. Imagine what your phone would be like on the day you purchased it, new from the factory, before configuring anything on it at all. That's what factory resetting any time afterwards returns the phone to.

If you are using add-on apps for anything (GO Launcher EX, etc.), then you'll have to install them again too, and configure them anew.

Upvote 0
launch into the "regular" androids home screen... NOT Go Launcher.
then try to create your shortcuts that way. It should be there.
then you know it is the Launcher.

to delete GO Launcher from "defaults"
Hold the home button
at bottom left.. select the pie
at top right.. select "defaults"

Upvote 0
Actually -- although lots of it was very frustrating (my first major upgrade!) -- I was amazed with the factory reset, that my Note3-Verizon sat there downloading apps automatically for about 15-20 min. It reloaded every app I had including the GO Launcher! I still had to dig through Settings and do my own version of everything and hunt for some new stuff but after that 2-day ordeal -- as I said above -- it's all pretty much all back to normal. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

P.S. In all my researching on the 'Net, I even found the Lollipop Easter Egg. Go to Settings>About phone and tap quickly several times on where it says "Android version 5.0", then tap a few times on the cartoon lollipop finishing with a long press and you've got a crazy game!! Get the Android Guy between the lollipops! Crazy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones