• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looks Like I'll Be Ditching My Epic For Now Anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, and it probably won't. I'm really, really pissed off that Samsung said OVER and OVER again that the Epic would ship with 2.1 and would SOON get an upgrade to 2.2. It was a FLAT OUT LIE. And I bought it.

Now... I still think it is a great phone and am still glad I'm not using an EVO. Problem is... even though I'm pissed at Samsung, switching phones wouldn't do anything because they already have my damn money.

Samsung said by the end of the year. To my knowledge we are still in this year. So you are only pissed because of your own conclusions and not facts.

Upvote 0
2.2 not being here yet is probably the most overblown thing ever. Honestly, I think people literally switching out phones from the Epic to another, in particular to lesser phones, because it doesn't have 2.2 - well, it's just idiotic. I mean honestly, Flash support = OVERRATED.

I also can't stand Flash, so maybe my own bias is in the way here. Sure, I'd like to have it too, but it's bothered me maybe like twice in 2 months. It's a phone people. A phone. Is it REALLY that important to be able to watch Flash video on it? Good lord I hate our society sometimes :|

Reactions: _-Jay-_
Upvote 0
So you are saying 2.2 is going to be out in 3 weeks? Can I hold you to it?

Of course you can! You know, because I run samsung and all. :rolleyes:

All I said was that Samsung said it would be out by the end of the year. As far as I can tell it isn't Jan. 1st yet so they still have time. I for one am not going to start pissing and moaning about them not having it out yet because it is still in the time frame they gave. If it gets to Feb and it still isn't out then I will start being a little irritated. But for now it is what it is. It's not out. Who cares? It really isn't like the world will implode because it's not out for the Epic yet.

Upvote 0
2.2 not being here yet is probably the most overblown thing ever. Honestly, I think people literally switching out phones from the Epic to another, in particular to lesser phones, because it doesn't have 2.2 - well, it's just idiotic. I mean honestly, Flash support = OVERRATED.

I also can't stand Flash, so maybe my own bias is in the way here. Sure, I'd like to have it too, but it's bothered me maybe like twice in 2 months. It's a phone people. A phone. Is it REALLY that important to be able to watch Flash video on it? Good lord I hate our society sometimes :|

Question, Have you ever used 2.2 on a regular basis? I have on my Evo. 2.1 and 2.2 are like night and day on an Android phone. You have no idea then what Samsung is keeping you from missing out on by not issuing 2.2. They have truly devalued the Epic IMO by not having 2.2 standard on it right now. The EVO is really the only 4G phone that Sprint sells now that is worth anything until Samsung pushes 2.2 to the Epic and I am wondering now if it will ever happen at all.

Upvote 0
I have on my Evo. 2.1 and 2.2 are like night and day on an Android phone.
No, it isn't. It was very anti-climactic upgrading the incredible from 2.1 to 2.2.

It scores higher on benchmarks and has flash support.

It's nice to have those things and the other tweaks, but it is not some amazing/earth-shattering upgrade that will change the way you live.

Upvote 0
My wife's Optimus S has 2.2 on it standard. I use it all the time. It's very smooth and fast considering it isn't a 1GHz cpu. Still, my Epic seems to be just as fast under normal operating conditions on 2.1. GPS isn't really an issue for me since I have my Garmin in my Scion. I dunno what sites I am missing with no Flash support, but all the websites I visit on a daily basis all work fine. The only reason I am waiting for 2.2 on the epic is so the EVO fanboys can stop touting their phones as the superior device since the Epic will out-benchmark it in every aspect except the 4.3" screen.

Upvote 0
No, it isn't. It was very anti-climactic upgrading the incredible from 2.1 to 2.2.

It scores higher on benchmarks and has flash support.

It's nice to have those things and the other tweaks, but it is not some amazing/earth-shattering upgrade that will change the way you live.

You're both right.

The overall user experience will user-dependent - because different users use different apps and in different combinations.

For a whole lot of people, upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2 is very much world-changing experience. Specifically because of the change to Java - and all Android apps are in Java, so it matters.

For others - it's just more of the same, and some setting buttons seem to have moved. (For a few, some of the media bugs screwed up their Pandora enjoyment, so that was actually a step back.)

Very much depends on the apps and app mix.

That said -

I'm one of those VERY positively affected by the 2.2 upgrade.

I would come down on the side saying that it's a must-have to offer users this important option, and let people go from 2.1 to 2.2 - and back to 2.1 if they prefer - rather than any of us dictate who needs what.

I've been waiting on the GPS issue to pull the trigger on an Epic for WifelyMon - and I gotta say, first thing I'd prolly if I'm still waiting on 2.2 would be to root it and get it.

But - that's me.

PS - On bad days when I've had enough from iP4 braggarts, rather than ignore them, I'll visit a Flash-heavy website of whatever and say, oh-wow-cool-check-it-out. Yeah - petty. But sometimes worth it to stop the noise at the pub. So - Flash is _important_. :eek::D

Reactions: SamXp and awrnsmn
Upvote 0
Now, don't forget that our phones are CDMA. My brother has the ATT version...and Samsung tweeted that they will definitely have 2.2 by end of the year. Now, our phone and Verizon version will likely have it a short time later...my guess is that it will be in early Jan.

I play around with EVO recently...sorry, it just does not seem all that great, even with 2.2. Flash was nice. But the screen scrolling does not have the same smoothness as the epic...and for most duties, it did not seem night-&-day difference in speed.

Upvote 0
We like our Epic (and Evo) a lot! I don't see 2.2 as being a huge upgrade. It's nice and I want it for the Epic, but it isn't as big an event as moving from 1.5 to 2.1 on the Moment. I'd really like to see a gps fix because it irks me that it still exists, not because it has a major effect on my wifes use of the phone. The real issue I have is with Samsung and the resources they apply to what is supposed to be their flagship device. I'm sure someone will chime in with a "they're right on schedule" type post, which they (so far) are. I think their schedule when compared to the competition, sucks! I will still stand by my previously made statement that the Galaxy S line should have been released with 2.2 or at the very least upgraded to it very shortly after release. Certainly the Epic, last to be released should have been at 2.2 from the get go. That LG can step into the US market with the significantly lower market stature Optimus line already at 2.2 speaks volumes, as does the Evo being there for 4 months. Using Touchwiz or the physical keyboard as a reason for delay is a lame excuse for not having the appropriate resources applied to get the job done on time. After botching most of the Moments updates, I thought with the last couple of post EOL updates that Samsung had learned its lesson about smart phone support. As we rapidly approach the end off their self imposed upgrade schedule, I'm thinking that they haven't learned a thing. I was a bit dubious in buying another Samsung phone after the Moment. I'll be significantly more dubious about Samsung when our next upgrade time comes around.

Upvote 0
I'm one of those who doesn't think that 2.2 is that big of a deal for my type of use. My gf's EVO has 2.2, and I don't really notice any discernable difference except that my Epic is definitely the smoother operating device. I have yet to find a need for Flash. With all of the hype, you'd think that 2.2 would provide earth-shattering improvements to a phone that is already very damn good. That just doesn't seem to be the case.

Waiting on 2.2 is fine. I have a bug-free 2.1 phone. I'd hate to have a buggy 2.2 device.

Upvote 0
We like our Epic (and Evo) a lot! I don't see 2.2 as being a huge upgrade. It's nice and I want it for the Epic, but it isn't as big an event as moving from 1.5 to 2.1 on the Moment. I'd really like to see a gps fix because it irks me that it still exists, not because it has a major effect on my wifes use of the phone. The real issue I have is with Samsung and the resources they apply to what is supposed to be their flagship device. I'm sure someone will chime in with a "they're right on schedule" type post, which they (so far) are. I think their schedule when compared to the competition, sucks! I will still stand by my previously made statement that the Galaxy S line should have been released with 2.2 or at the very least upgraded to it very shortly after release. Certainly the Epic, last to be released should have been at 2.2 from the get go. That LG can step into the US market with the significantly lower market stature Optimus line already at 2.2 speaks volumes, as does the Evo being there for 4 months. Using Touchwiz or the physical keyboard as a reason for delay is a lame excuse for not having the appropriate resources applied to get the job done on time. After botching most of the Moments updates, I thought with the last couple of post EOL updates that Samsung had learned its lesson about smart phone support. As we rapidly approach the end off their self imposed upgrade schedule, I'm thinking that they haven't learned a thing. I was a bit dubious in buying another Samsung phone after the Moment. I'll be significantly more dubious about Samsung when our next upgrade time comes around.

All great points. Epic should have been released with 2.2. It is not like Samsung / Sprint is spending too much time testing to release error free devices anyway. Not sure when Epic was released, but Samsung Moment was updated 8 months after release from 1.5, skipping 1.6, (2.0), to 2.1.

As for "... resources applied to get the job done on time", Samsung seems to be working on BadaOS at the expense of Android.

The lesson Samsung has learned is that customers pay for new hardware with old software with a carrot of updating soon to new software. With Epic, Samsung there is also a premium of $50 over the competition, correct me if I am wrong, making it the most expensive Android phone today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones