• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

Yeah, so I was wondering if you were somehow relocked but I don't think it's that.

Go ahead and grab that regular TWRP 2.6.3, move it over to that folder and try and see if it flashes as you planned.

If it does, then something is probably borked in the SELinux version.

In that case, trash it, download a fresh copy and try again.
should i download straight to sdk-tools folder or download regular then cut paste or copy paste

Upvote 0
C:\sdk-tools\sdk-tools>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.1.0-jewel.i
mg
sending 'recovery' (8264 KB)...
OKAY [ 8.572s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.993s]
finished. total time: 10.585s
downloaded one version behind and it worked fine so maybee bad download????
Techerrata Downloads - Downloading openrecovery-twrp-2.6.1.0-jewel.img
and if it is compatible with [rom][11-19-13] cm-11.0-jewel [kit-kat][4.4]..i am good ..my wife wants kit kat i better get kit kat...lol
id dont know what happened but when i went to reboot its in bootloop and i am feeling very ******ed ok so back up and running going to beed lobg day thanx for help

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it still says command not found. I tried varying the command, in case I screwed something up, but to no avail.

This is what is shown in Terminal:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd sdk-tools
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/sdk-tools$
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/sdk-tools$ chmod 755 *
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/sdk-tools$ sudo fastboot-linux oem get_identifier_token
sudo: fastboot-linux: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/sdk-tools$ sudo ./fastboot oem get_identifier_token
sudo: ./fastboot: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/sdk-tools$ sudo /fastboot oem get_identifier_token
sudo: /fastboot: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/sdk-tools$ sudo fastboot oem get_identifier_token
sudo: fastboot: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/sdk-tools$

Upvote 0
It's been working well so far. But starting about 2 days ago, my phone has been acting up. Sometimes it'll just restart randomly while charging, and today the radios sometimes stop working. I'm thinking it's the kernel, but I would love to hear your opinion on this. Right now I'm keeping my phone off to charge in case I have to do a wipe/reset in the near future. Thanks again, man.

Upvote 0
It's been working well so far. But starting about 2 days ago, my phone has been acting up. Sometimes it'll just restart randomly while charging, and today the radios sometimes stop working. I'm thinking it's the kernel, but I would love to hear your opinion on this. Right now I'm keeping my phone off to charge in case I have to do a wipe/reset in the near future. Thanks again, man.

did you flash any roms? do you have a custom recovery? did you make a nandroid backup?

Reactions: LightningBlots
Upvote 0
I'm running stable CyanogenMod 10.1.3. I do have a custom recovery, twrp 2.4.1.0. No nandroid backup though.

you should always do a nandroid backup before flashing anything just in case anything goes wrong.

so i would at least make a nandroid backup of your current setup as soon as possible.

now as far as the random reboots and such try and wipe dalvik cache and cache and see if that helps. this sometimes fixes small issues or bugs.

if it still persists then re-wipe dalvik cache and cache and re-flash your rom. you will not loose data as you are not wiping it. and this should fix almost any bugs or glitches.....unless it is a rom issue......then only a dev can fix that.

if the issue still persists then you might want to try a stock sense rom and see if that helps.

Reactions: LightningBlots
Upvote 0
Sorry if this seems a bit too simple, but I'm trying to find the link to create the ubuntu linux CD to be able to run linux on a mac. I'm trying to gain S-OFF but I have Windows 8.1 and fastboot does not work, regardless of the method I've tried to fix that problem. Could someone point me in the right direction?

I've found the thread dedicated to gaining root on a mac, but I've already unlocked my bootloader.

Thank you!

Update, I have found a way to boot live from USB.

I might need help if I encounter problems along the way :)

Upvote 0
I'm you're Mac guy, give me a few minutes to get to my desk. :)

If I understand this correctly, my steps are as follows.

1) Install the ADB files to my MBP.

2) Ensure that ADB and fastbook is working

3) Boot Linux from my Live USB

4) Do I need to install mini sdk here too?

5) Ensure that ADB and fastbook is working

6) Use rumrunner to S-OFF. (I'm using 3.16)

7) Profit?

Upvote 0
Pretty close. :)

Back up your external sd card. It may get temporarily or completely hosed.

Must be on a stock-based rom, or however rumrunner says.

Make a live whatever of ubuntu, all directions here -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

You want rev 12.04 LTS, also linked above.

You want the 32-bit version, it will download as an iso file, and then go to:

Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility => use that to make a bootable cd from the image.

Booting is not fast. Even when it looks up, give a few minutes.

The only snag people seem to hit sometimes is getting networking up so give it a test run, and if it causes trouble, it's still fixable. Reasonable to expect that you'll get a driver pop-up and then a lan card icon in your upper right. Tap that to config your wifi drivers if it comes up. At that point, I prefer to tap the empty wifi icon and uncheck wifi, give it half a minute and then repeat to check it back on. That seems to scan more quickly for networks in my case.

If network problems persist, see - http://androidforums.com/computers/646562-ethernet-problems-in-ubuntu-12-04-a.html

Now - you've done a test run, you're happy.

Easiest way to get to your files - either surf to here and follow links - or just email yourself the links to your gmail account, and access gmail via Firefox, you'll see an icon for it.

To get a Linux terminal window, that's control-alt-T and alt=option on a Mac keyboard.

You want to boot right into Linux, and get the mini-sdk there if you need to check connectivity with your phone - but rumrunner doesn't seem to require it.

You're going to download it with Firefox, that will put into your download directory.

Rumrunner says to do:

tar -zxf rumrunner<device>_<version>.tgz

sudo ./sujo

But - first you have to get there, that's done with (open a terminal window, control-alt-T) and then issue:

cd Downloads

To change to that directory.

Tip: since you're going to be running a live CD, you won't have anything in your way in your Downloads folder and can probably get away with just saying:

tar -zxf *.tgz

And save some typing.

Remember to avoid any USB 3 ports, use USB 2 only.

7. Profit. :)

Upvote 0
How long am I supposed to wait to boot from the CD? I waited 10 minutes and all I got was a flashing cursor that looks like a DOS menu....

Also, loading the CD on my PC I am able to see the ubuntu folders.

On the MBP, it says this disc cannot be read (not exact but paraphrasing).

Can I use this live CD and boot from the CD on the PC and be able to do the same as the mac?

Upvote 0
It sounds like you didn't get a bootable cd from Disk Utility - so I doubt it would boot from a WinPC either.

Here's the steps for burning a cd - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Try burning another, and yes, up to 10 minutes or so isn't impossible, depending on your MBP speed and type.

But 5 or so is more likely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones