• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MailDroid back to basics

I believe Google and Apple also pay for support as well and Nokia (obviously) has it.
Anyway, defeating Exchange control is a darling root mod. :D

As I mentioned, I was just curious and it's not a showstopper. If I need it again. I'll run HTC Mail - or just feign ignorance and use IMAP with everyone else. Rotflmao!

I'm going to add some more accounts this weekend, including some pop3.

I doubt I'll have useful feedback because I like the ui and mail is what mail is.

Can't thank you enough for the opportunity to chat with you here about this!!

Upvote 0
I'd like to test out a new Navigation Drawer with some of you who are interested this week. Please pm me if you are interested. It should be ready by the end of the week and I can use some feedback good or bad. The nav drawer is a major change as it touches lots of things and changes things more than just the look and feel.

Upvote 0
OK, problem.

My brother forwarded me one of those political chain mails with a bunch of pictures embedded several quotes in.

Normally I don't care but it's my brother so I have to see what it's on about.

I have my preload on wifi limit set to a 20 MB maximum.

Open message, no content, just an option to save the attachments.

So from viewing the message, I tried Load full content - got the wait dialog - and nothing.

The images show in line in Gmail (it was sent to my Gmail account fwiw).

Show Web images is on. My brother is in my trusted senders list.

What am I doing wrong?

On the basis of trust, I'll forward the message if it helps any.

Upvote 0
Probably a waste of time as I'm likely the only one who would actually use it though. :p
It's only a couple of years since I switched from using PINE as my main email client - and I always said that the fact that I could see the spam links as URLs and hence spot instantly that they weren't what they claimed (and couldn't click on them anyway) was a great positive. :D.

I don't do it often, and don't use my phone for the bulk of my mail so don't need it in a phone, but I'd probably find a use if it was there.

Upvote 0
I used Mutt for years. Pine never quite cut it for me. I wrote up an extensive .muttrc that was really good if I don't say so myself. But I think I lost my last copy of it when a backup HD died last year.

"All email clients suck, some just suck less than others.". I kinda miss Mutt. But in this age of HTML email everywhere Thunderbird and AquaMail rock.

Upvote 0
OK, problem.

My brother forwarded me one of those political chain mails with a bunch of pictures embedded several quotes in.

Normally I don't care but it's my brother so I have to see what it's on about.

I have my preload on wifi limit set to a 20 MB maximum.

Open message, no content, just an option to save the attachments.

So from viewing the message, I tried Load full content - got the wait dialog - and nothing.

The images show in line in Gmail (it was sent to my Gmail account fwiw).

Show Web images is on. My brother is in my trusted senders list.

What am I doing wrong?

On the basis of trust, I'll forward the message if it helps any.

I don't believe you are doing anything wrong, actually, you did everything right. My guess is that this is a bug. Some complex HTML with embedded images I have seen fail before. I have fixed most of them, but I guess not this one. You can forward it to me if you like or hit the bottom menu when viewing it, save on SD card, then send the .eml file as this will show me what I really need to look at. How it is structured.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I used Mutt for years. Pine never quite cut it for me. I wrote up an extensive .muttrc that was really good if I don't say so myself. But I think I lost my last copy of it when a backup HD died last year.

"All email clients suck, some just suck less than others.". I kinda miss Mutt. But in this age of HTML email everywhere Thunderbird and AquaMail rock.

My goal is to get you to say the last sentence and include MailDroid as well ;-)

Upvote 0
I don't believe you are doing anything wrong, actually, you did everything right. My guess is that this is a bug. Some complex HTML with embedded images I have seen fail before. I have fixed most of them, but I guess not this one. You can forward it to me if you like or hit the bottom menu when viewing it, save on SD card, then send the .eml file as this will show me what I really need to look at. How it is structured.
Did both - forwarded as is and then sent eml file in second mail.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The .eml version would work, but it is probably not the best option ;-)
Actually, I'm pretty ok with it. :)

I can see the full header quickly and easily - that's my majority case for using plain text. Everything else, even in that mail, was fine by me as is.

As we used to joke - I have trained my mind to encode base64 text on the fly. :D

VimTouch ftw btw for anyone else wanting a proper viewer. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Nah, ya gotta say: "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?". Repeat over and over and over...
Dad's reply -

y05ywg.jpg

:D

Lol and worth it for all of the concerned private messages I'm about to get for laughing about things that are no laughing matter.

^ It was better when I didn't have to do that for every, single joke. :D

Upvote 0
Actually, I am going to try a different approach. Instead of emailing out custom builds and getting things out of whack with version numbers, I am going to release to the play store tomorrow....with the old navigation drawer. I will have an option to try the new navigation drawer if anyone wants to test it....you can always switch back to the old one. My logic is best to try and get as many people involved and an easy switch will work in the long-run till I get all the issues ironed out and add all the things that make sense to be added. I also have thrown in some other bug fixes and a few minor unrelated nav drawer features that people have asked me for.

I'll post again once it is out, but hopefully this makes sense :) Still planning on hearing lots of feedback here!

Upvote 0
I just got back in town so this is the earliest that I could ask about this.

I'm concerned that MailDroid may be keeping my phone awake when Gmail does not.

I know that I usually get a drain from a flashing LED that I don't care about so that's been off.

1434384918242.jpg

Not sure if I changed anything here -

1434385016422.jpg

I was in the middle of trying to get better stats, trying with disabling MailDroid to give before and after views but I screwed up the sequence during an interruption. This is all I have, it shows a part of it.

1434385188992.jpg

I was also trying out Google Voice in Hangouts and that biased the number of wakelocks - deactivated that as soon as I got home - so I'm just focusing on the wake time for the moment.

Do I have something configured wrong?

MailDroid and Gmail were only syncing the same two Gmail accounts at the time, both running, both accounts set up for IMAP in MailDroid.

Upvote 0
I just got back in town so this is the earliest that I could ask about this.

I'm concerned that MailDroid may be keeping my phone awake when Gmail does not.

I know that I usually get a drain from a flashing LED that I don't care about so that's been off.

View attachment 89259

Not sure if I changed anything here -

View attachment 89260

I was in the middle of trying to get better stats, trying with disabling MailDroid to give before and after views but I screwed up the sequence during an interruption. This is all I have, it shows a part of it.

View attachment 89261

I was also trying out Google Voice in Hangouts and that biased the number of wakelocks - deactivated that as soon as I got home - so I'm just focusing on the wake time for the moment.

Do I have something configured wrong?

MailDroid and Gmail were only syncing the same two Gmail accounts at the time, both running, both accounts set up for IMAP in MailDroid.

Nothing looks mis-configured here. Keep in mind that the default Gmail app does not use IMAP Idle. They have a custom push server and work via a PIN over SMS (usually, but could be something else). Blackberry as well as ActiveSync will work like this as well (possibly Yahoo has a custom system also). IMAP Idle requires a network connection, that connection dies if the device is asleep. As such, I added in options in your 3rd screenshot to control this a while back. The default is what you have set and MD will wake up and restore that connection to make sure you get the push for IMAP. You can turn it off and it won't wake up, but then you won't get real push (or Idle Push). You obviously can also set it to never sleep (rare option but some people who have it plugged in all day do use this). Does this make sense as to why you may see wakelocks?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones