• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help major problem with sms messages being deleted at random, can anyone help?

I read news in bed before i fall asleep. Sometimes I fall asleep while still holding the phone in my hand. When I wake up in the morning I often find a couple of calls placed mid night and/or some other unintended things happen. Are you sure this is not what you experienced? Are you using standard SMS or some handcent type third party tool?

Upvote 0
unrelated to texts deleting, but it is extremely odd behavior of buttons pressing themselves (so related, imo)...

the other day, i made a call, went to hang up and the thing went to speaker (lower left button). i took it as me accidentally pressing speaker, hung up the call, and held the phone, staring at it just to stare at it like wtf? as i'm holding it, it starts dialing my vm (lower left corner button). wtf? poke hang up. it dials again. wtf stop!! i exit out of the phone module altogether, then it activates the phone again (lower left again) and keeps acting like i'm poking something in that area of the screen for a good three minutes.

the thing is, nothing was touching the screen. not me, not anything. it just kept registering that something was touching that section of the screen (button animations included). even when i put it down and wasn't touching it, it kept initiating phone calls to vm.

i haven't gotten it to recreate and it was only a couple days ago, but it's still giving me a major wtf and i'm hoping i can get it to recreate the scenario to figure out what the hell is going on. once it stopped, i dragged my finger along the edges of the screen to see if that was somehow making it do it, but dragging along there i couldn't get the screen to do anything. the only other thing i can think of is that since the screen detects heat, there must have been something inside that was warm enough to make the selections register. there's been a handful of times i've just hovered a finger on the screen without touching and it does something, reacting like i had touched it.

Upvote 0
Mine has exhibited some odd behavior, too, doing things at random. I noticed at one point that I could hover my finger almost an inch away from the screen at one corner and it would think I'd touched it. I did a hard reset and that cleared it up. No idea how/why that would happen with a capacitive screen. One time I left it upside-down on a table in locked mode, and when I came back it was trying to locate itself on google maps, and had also loaded the last sms and started a reply of a string of "vvvvvvvvvvv"

Still waiting for someone to identify the AI chip so I can rip that puppy out. ;)

Upvote 0
My topic has been totally jacked haha
To answer your question, the screen on the Captivate is capacitive. It means touches are sensed by changes in conductivity. Sometimes when the air is TOO humid you can hold your finger an inch off the screen and the screen will still register a touch because the humid air conducts some electrical charge between your body and the screen.

[yes your thread has been hijacked :) ]

Reactions: jeremytanner
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones