• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Major problems

so ive had some big problems that are becoming a big pain for me lately.

all of a sudden my eris has been dying super quick, within an hour i would only have half a battery left. during that hour i might have sent maybe 25 texts or so and that is it. no other apps running, phone on vibrate, and brightness at one of the lowest settings. i even went as fas as getting a new battery, but the phone is still dying super quick.

my other problem is dealing with charging. i used to be able to charge my phone while it is on. now, the only time my phone will charge is when it is off. if the phone is plugged in and turned on itll keep the same amount of battery without draining anything, but that is it.

what should i do about this? when i went to verizon they said no one else has came in with these problems so idk what i should do.

It's possible that you're battery is going bad.
It's more likely that you've got an application gone rogue and is running constantly in the background. You should probably check you settings on any apps you have that do updates - Facebook, weather - whatever else it is you may have.
You should also check Running Services to see if there is anything running that shouldn't be.
If you updated/installed any apps just prior to this problem starting, then you should probably uninstall that app.

Upvote 0
what should i do about this? when i went to verizon they said no one else has came in with these problems so idk what i should do.

Either go back and insist that they repair your phone, or replace it under warranty, or call their technical support instead and try dealing with them.

That's an interesting theory the technicians have - they will only deal with problems that other people have had before? What did they do the first time somebody had a problem with the eris - refuse to support it because nobody else had reported the problem before?

Upvote 0
No kidding. "I'm sorry (sir or madam) but until at least 10 other people call with the same problem we can't help you with this."
Gotta love tech support...
Doogald is (naturally) correct. Give 'em a call and see what they say. Of course what they WILL say is "let's do a factory reset", so if you haven't done that already you probably should. BEFORE you do that make sure to backup anything that's important to you, because your phone will be wiped (contents on the SD card should be safe).

Upvote 0
i have been using the same apps the whole time. i switched back to my old phone a month, then when i switched back to the droid is when the problems started. i do have the 'Taskkiller' widget that i use so i do know nothing is running constantly that i know of.

there is two little icons at the top that i do not have any idea what they are also

they are:
two arrows in a circle going clockwise
a diamond with a cross going through

i have no idea what these are for and maybe those are things that are running?

but that would also make no sense for the battery not to charge when the phone is plugged in while on.

Upvote 0
there is two little icons at the top that i do not have any idea what they are also

they are:
two arrows in a circle going clockwise
a diamond with a cross going through

i have no idea what these are for and maybe those are things that are running?

but that would also make no sense for the battery not to charge when the phone is plugged in while on.

Two arrows in a circle is usually a sync operation of some sort. That could possibly indicate that your phone is using the Mobile Data network continuously. That can happen under a few different scenarios. If this was the case, you might notice slow or no charging, especially if you are charging with a computer USB connection (that provides only half the juice of the wall charger - it is actually possible to discharge the battery in that configuration if the radio is active continuously).

If this was happening, you would probably notice that the phone was rather warm, but you didn't provide any info about that.

I suggest you read up on what a factory reset operation does, make some notes about what apps you have installed & how you have your home screens set up, figure out whether you have the stuff you want backed up... and then bite the bullet and perform a factory reset, followed by a re-configuration of your phone.

As surprising as it might seem, most smartphones are not guaranteed to work well no matter what you throw at them; so add apps slowly to see if you are installing something which causes trouble on your phone.

eu1

Upvote 0
One other thing which springs to mind (something to try before resorting to a factory reset) is that occasionally the Google contacts sync operation gets screwed up. It has happened to me, and several others have experienced the same problem, too.

Go in to

Settings -> Accounts & sync

and then tap on your Gmail account.

Do you see any of the spinning "sync" indicators? What happens if you do a

Menu -> Sync now

when on that screen? (You should see all of the sync indicators come on, but they should disappear in less than 30 seconds)

If it seems like the Google contacts sync operation is stalling, go and clear the contact sync database with

Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications -> Contacts storage

and clear the data here. (If you have any phone-only contacts rather than only Google contacts, get them backed up first before you do this step).

Also, one more thing - you didn't mention what the LED does when you plug in the phone when it is booted up; does it turn orange, indicating that the phone is charging?

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones