• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[MAJOR SOLUTION] Fix your slow 3g speeds:EVO4g

Same problem here with me. Pretty much tower issue. I loaded a sense rom and the PRL was an older number then loaded the CM7 rom and the prl was a diff number than the sense rom. Went back to the sense rom and did the whole ##data# thing and the prl updated then just updated (no wipe) back to cm7 and cm7 had the newly updated prl, so apparently the cm7 does take the update but it does not fix it. To double check it my wife has a stock rom never altered one bit and the speeds suck on it also. Funny thing is when I had a stock sense rom and did this fix I was getting 1.5 all the time and could stream Netflix via PS3 no problem. Went to CM6 then lost it, went back to stock sense rom and never got the good speeds again.

Anyway I could downgrade my PRL back to what I had before or would that be a waste of my time?

Upvote 0
I was about to ask you the same thing, Mr. Ed.

So, I am rooted, with Koni's ES III ROM. I believe this is a sense based ROM but I'm not sure. Would your data fix work then? I did the data fix when I was not rooted.

Sorry, I'm a noob to rooting and needed clarification.

you are fine
....ke3 has working roster :)

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
ok this is my story so far about two days ago my net was fine I was hitting speeds around 1.5 with prl 60678 and then my phone update to 60679 after I did a restart and I didn’t know it until I came across this awesome sticky which made me started digging.. I did every in the order you have list and nothing was work at all. More digging into it I started to look to see what network my phone was set to. It was set to automatic. I read a post some were said that it should only be set to cdma only so it got me think that was the problem so I changed it to cdma only and only thing it did was made my battier last longer so I kept changing them to each one in the list and finally I hit the sweet spot when I put it to digital only were my speeds are back to normal but when am roaming my speeds go back down to .05. I hope this helps someone else I was pulling hair until now.... I used the ##3282# and went into profile and then to EVDO to change networks. My locations is under the mackinac bridge in MI.

Upvote 0
I use MIUI and on build 0520 I flashed a sense ROM (Misfit's KingsROM port) and went through the steps in the OP. My speeds went up by about 10x (from .14ish to 1.4ish) on 3g. I then restored my MIUI nandroid and my first speed test was very low (back down around .14) but over the next couple of days of testing it went back up to over 1.0. I did speed tests in various locations and always had good results. This past weekend I updated MIUI to release 0527, updated all of my apps, and ran another speed test, still over 1.0. But today it has fallen through the floor. I'm back down in the low teens again, I've flashed the same sense ROM as before, went through all the steps again but cannot get over .3 download and my upload is staying in the teens. I tried doing the EVDO change but that didn't make any difference. Even just staying on the sense ROM doesn't improve anything. I've tried reflashing the ROMs, running through the steps in this fix multiple times, anything I can think of but nothing is working. Did something happen recently? Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? I sure would like to get my faster speeds back!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Note to Mr. Ed, others in the NY area - ronzer33's results are after a fix-Froyo reset, updated profile and prl - pls advise, thanks.

Thnx early

Go ahead and pull the battery...wait 5-10 mins and try again

If still slow menu.settings.software updates. Update prl . Reboot

Still slow....contact sprint ...either you have a defective 3g radio or a tower is out

Upvote 0
I use MIUI and on build 0520 I flashed a sense ROM (Misfit's KingsROM port) and went through the steps in the OP. My speeds went up by about 10x (from .14ish to 1.4ish) on 3g. I then restored my MIUI nandroid and my first speed test was very low (back down around .14) but over the next couple of days of testing it went back up to over 1.0. I did speed tests in various locations and always had good results. This past weekend I updated MIUI to release 0527, updated all of my apps, and ran another speed test, still over 1.0. But today it has fallen through the floor. I'm back down in the low teens again, I've flashed the same sense ROM as before, went through all the steps again but cannot get over .3 download and my upload is staying in the teens. I tried doing the EVDO change but that didn't make any difference. Even just staying on the sense ROM doesn't improve anything. I've tried reflashing the ROMs, running through the steps in this fix multiple times, anything I can think of but nothing is working. Did something happen recently? Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? I sure would like to get my faster speeds back!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
They may have taken a tower down.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the help, I was just about to remove my root and accept the new OTA just because I thought my phones 3g radio was busted. My brother in law was getting 1 meg download speeds on his Evo 2 feet from my Evo getting pathetic 800k speeds, I decided to take one quick look on the net before I started my unrooting and bam now I'm back up to 1 meg speeds.

I swear if it wasn't for people like all of you these phones would be nothing.

Upvote 0
thanks to Mr. Ed for this.
I was really dejected after the gingerbread update on my non-rooted EVO.
3G was down to the 300kbps after being up 3x that on froyo.

Sure enough - and I am still not sure what steps order are from the OP - but following the MSL > Reset > Update Profile >Cancel PRL update > pull battery > Reboot seems to have cured my Gingerbread update woes.

3G speeds are back to better than ever @ 1.5mps. So thanks Mr Ed!

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having the problems you describe for 3g speed and Pandora quality issues. I'm trying to get into the menu that you list in the first post, however, the ##3282# code doesn't seem to be working since I upgraded to 2.3 I am running a rooted stock ROM using the ODEXed version that was released the day of the 2.3 OTA. When I enter ##3282# into the phone dialer, the number disappears, the dialer freezes and the menu doesn't appear. I can get the phone working again by hitting the back button.

Am I missing a button press? Any other way to get to this menu on a rooted phone?

Thanks,
Kofkorn

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm having the problems you describe for 3g speed and Pandora quality issues. I'm trying to get into the menu that you list in the first post, however, the ##3282# code doesn't seem to be working since I upgraded to 2.3 I am running a rooted stock ROM using the ODEXed version that was released the day of the 2.3 OTA. When I enter ##3282# into the phone dialer, the number disappears, the dialer freezes and the menu doesn't appear. I can get the phone working again by hitting the back button.

Am I missing a button press? Any other way to get to this menu on a rooted phone?

Thanks,
Kofkorn

I had this same issue, until I flashed the new radios. Once I did that, I was able to complete the process.

Upvote 0

Thanks,
Kofkorn

From what I have learned it. You cannot get the menu with a rooted phone. The only way to do the fix is backup your rom like you have it now. Then load a sense rom, do the fix then don't wipe anything or clear cache just load your asop rom and the fix will stay in there for ya. I verified this by changing my prl in a sense rom and the prl was changed when I went back to the asop rom.

Upvote 0
Help!!! I'm stuck ... I am currently on ROM - supersonic_4.22.651.2_odexed_060511-signed.zip. I have also installed EVO_Radio_2.15.00.05.02_WiMAX_27243_PRI_2.15_003.zip. Everything was working as for as internet but I thought my speeds were slow and would try this fix.

I cannot get thru Device Configuration...(The network is preparing your services). I know I have 3G signal here because I can update the profile on my wife's EVO running Fresh Rom.

I have tried reflashing the ROM and done several battery pulls and reboots. I can't get the phone to update and I can't get 3G. I went back to the original port 8085 and address pd.vog.sprintpcs.com. I'm still stuck at Device configuration. Please help. Thanks. Would a Nandroid restore help?

Edit: Nandroid restore didn't help either... Still stuck

2nd Edit: I did a factory reset and everything is back... Now running TB. Should be good to go because I backed up right before trying this. I will let someone else figure this out before I try again.

Upvote 0
For AOSP/Cyanogen users, is the process to nandroid, flash a Sense rom (without wiping), run the fixes in Sense and then nandroid back to Cyanogen? Will restoring a nandroid wipe out any changes made while in Sense?

Far as I know and have seen, No it will not wipe out the settings. The only thing that I can verify that stays put is the PRL since you can't do the ##data# in the Cyanogen mod and check to see if the HTTP settings stay there. I would assume they are.

Upvote 0
Holy Crapola, Bitman! I have been staring at crappy 3G off and on for a while. I'm using Mik 2.1 but I've had this problem with other ROMs.

I ran Extremelabs on my 3G before your "routine". 384K sustained download with a peak of 515K. Repeated test and got same...

Did the "routine" verbatim per your instructions. I just ran two more tests back to back and got 1183K sustained and 1583K peak download.

I don't know what to say other than "THANKS!"

Edit -- Update -- After rebooting the phone this morning from power down (dead battery), my lovely 1.5Mb download on 3G won't come back and visit me. I'm back to 300K sustained download. I'm going to go through the "routine" again just for grins and see what happens....

Edit 2 -- update 2 -- I ran the "restore" part again but I'm still stuck in the 300-500K download. Nothing like the 1500K I got yesterday. I'm going to run the update prl and profile now and see if it changes...

Upvote 0
running on gingerbread (awesome, except EMAIL DOESNT WORK), updated prl then updated profile, I ran 5 speedtests in a row. lowest DL was 2.10Mbps, highest dl was 2.55Mbps, lowest ul was 0.47Mbps, highest ul was 0.78Mbps!! SIIIIICK!

btw, the above is when running on 3G. 4g disabled, wifi disabled, gps disabled

*edit*: just tried it with wifi enabled, and thanks to gingerbread my phone is now showing identical dl and ul speeds as my pc: 7.0-8.0Mbps dl, 2.6-3.2Mbps ul

:-D

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
I am sure you guys can help me based on the info in this trend.

Just got my EVO 4G on Thursday, I tried two other Adriod phones but was not impressed. I have been following this trend since Friday.
Desided to try the process as I am getting .22 down and .1 up.
Called Sprint and got my MSL no problem. My phone did update the first day.
When I dial ##3283# I get a recording that there is an error. No menus.

What am I missing? For a good excuse I am a 4 year iPhone user.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones