• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messaging Problems on Lollipop

InfestedR

Lurker
Aug 29, 2015
I just recently, within the past week or so, switched my service from AT&T to T-Mobile. The major reason for the switch was my phone; I was using a Nokia Lumia 520 that had basically become a paperweight. During the switch, I ordered a 'certified pre-owned' Sony Xperia Z1s. It arrived shortly thereafter, and immediately updated to Android 5.0.2. So far, everything has worked pretty beautifully, and I'm happy with my decision.

The only problem is the Messaging app. Some of the contacts are displaying incorrectly. For example, I have a contact who used to be labeled Tiffany. No last name, no picture, no additional information except for a nickname. Not long after, I added a lot more information. While I was using my Lumia, they changed their name, and so I adjusted it on my phone. Synced it with my Google account, done and done. Now that I have my Xperia, though, under Messaging they appear as Tiffany; no last name, no picture, no additional information. I tried linking 'Tiffany' to the new contact, but 'Tiffany' doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced with the new contact, Tyler. In fact, 'Tiffany' doesn't appear to exist anywhere except for in my Messaging. I tried deleting the thread and sending a message specifically to Tyler, but it changed it to Tiffany again.

By now, I'm getting pretty annoyed with it, and I've noticed a second contact doing the same thing. So I decided to download Handcent, an SMS app that I used before the Lumia days. That should fix things, right? Messaging is an Android app, must be an Android issue. So I'll use something third-party. Wrong, Handcent is coming up with the same problem.

I'm out of ideas, and can't find this particular problem anywhere on the web. Maybe it's an Xperia issue? Maybe it's a Lollipop issue? This is seriously annoying, and I keep having to stop and double-check that I'm sending my messages to the right person. Any ideas from the magical Android Gurus out there?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones