• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] flashed roms-benchmark

mazillion

Dec 1, 2012
(introduction-preface-unreleated thing)
((okay so i am pretty new to all this android stuff, i recently got an upgrade and i'm the type of person to go all out on the customizing phones and stuff. (i would go crazy with jailbreaks on iphones back when) i have been browsing these forums for a couple weeks now getting valuable information from you guys (and google). just want to say thanks to everybody on these forums, when i first got my phone all i could find were things root-related for the S3 on other carriers. i was afraid the S3 metro pcs didn't really have much modding support, i'm glad i was wrong.))

anyway onto the topic, so i installed cm10 yesterday and have been playing around with it. i love it, no (major) bugs, and everything runs so fast. (might have to do some tweaks for better battery life though). I did a quadrant benchmark before and after.
Before: Toal:5019 CPU:8355 Mem:7388 I/O:6122 2D:1000 3D:2231
After:Total:4474 CPU:5558 Mem:10019 I/O:3692 2D:990 3D:2113

i was like :thinking: because project butter lead me to believe preformace had increased. I messed around with CPU governors but sadly the some of the governors only brought the scores as low as 3,000 something.

i know the total scores aren't that far apart, only because the memory shot up a good bit 7300 to 10000. I supposed that's due to the fact that CM10 seems to use a lot less ram. But i don't really care about RAM, 2GB is a lot for a moblie phone and i am the type of person to obsessively close all apps in the task manager. i like to get my phone running as fast as possible even though it might not even make a huge difference.

-I was thinking about trying out blackbean (AOKP doesn't appeal to me for some reason but i'll try it out if i can get better performance). will blackbean give better performance?
-I did a lot of research and some people have said that if you want the best performance then go with stock. is that true? will no ROM ever match up to stock speeds?
-Does anyone have suggestions to improve this? can you guys share your benchmark scores? not sure if it's normal to see a 3000 point drop in CPU.
-i'm pretty sure there are none, but there are no kernels that support overclocking right?

I pretty excited for Vice City 10th anniversary to come out tomorrow and i'm definitely going to be playing that. i'm just worried it'll have framerate issues. i'll wait to see how it runs, if it doesn't run up to par then i'll probably to revert to stock and see how it runs then.

sorry about wall of text. tl;dr: stock to cm10 causes big drop in cpu benchmark score, what do?

ive said this before but are you really concern about a number score you get from an app or are you more concern with the personal experience and performance you get from your phone? with that being said i believe there are certain factors in such benchmark test that either gives you a high score or low score. i guarantee if we had 10 people with the same rom same phone same everything do a benchmark test none would get same scores. my point? i don't consider antutu or any other benchmark test very accurate. so you said your using cm10 rom? ill have some1 do a benchmark test with you and your scores wont be the same. i also would like to add clearing task processes and ram usage helps also what class sd card do you use since the read/write performance is tested. dont take the benchmark test seriously you have a great phone, you dont need an app to tell you that! ;)

Reactions: nuttmeg
Upvote 0
ive said this before but are you really concern about a number score you get from an app or are you more concern with the personal experience and performance you get from your phone? with that being said i believe there are certain factors in such benchmark test that either gives you a high score or low score. i guarantee if we had 10 people with the same rom same phone same everything do a benchmark test none would get same scores. my point? i don't consider antutu or any other benchmark test very accurate. so you said your using cm10 rom? ill have some1 do a benchmark test with you and your scores wont be the same. i also would like to add clearing task processes and ram usage helps also what class sd card do you use since the read/write performance is tested. dont take the benchmark test seriously you have a great phone, you dont need an app to tell you that! ;)

yeah i get what you're saying, i kind of feel the same way. i know that these test aren't 100% accurate and that they don't necessarily represent what real apps will do. but i did run the test many times and it was always consistently lower than stock rom!:mad::thinking::mad:
i'm not sure why a new ROM is showing pooer CPU performance though, during the 3D tests when it shows a few 3D scenes and the framerate at the bottom, i notice it was dopping to 40fps quite frequently, and i specifically remember when i did that on stock rom it stayed at exactly 60fps and only dipped once near the end. so i worry there might actually be some CPU issues

Upvote 0
yeah i get what you're saying, i kind of feel the same way. i know that these test aren't 100% accurate and that they don't necessarily represent what real apps will do. but i did run the test many times and it was always consistently lower than stock rom!:mad::thinking::mad:
i'm not sure why a new ROM is showing pooer CPU performance though, during the 3D tests when it shows a few 3D scenes and the framerate at the bottom, i notice it was dopping to 40fps quite frequently, and i specifically remember when i did that on stock rom it stayed at exactly 60fps and only dipped once near the end. so i worry there might actually be some CPU issues

Try killing all active processes and whatever is using ram and try again perhaps you will get a higher score.

Upvote 0
Try killing all active processes and whatever is using ram and try again perhaps you will get a higher score.
yeah of course i did that both times. i close tasks constantly anyway, i don't like having so much in my mutitasking menu.

quadrant hasnt been relevant in years, use antunu

sorry but quadrant was the only benchmark i used before i flashed to cm10 so i want something to compare. does antunu use the same scoring system?

Upvote 0
yeah of course i did that both times. i close tasks constantly anyway, i don't like having so much in my mutitasking menu.

sorry but quadrant was the only benchmark i used before i flashed to cm10 so i want something to compare. does antunu use the same scoring system?

No it doesn't. If you made a backup, it doesn't take long to switch back and forth for benchmarks

Upvote 0
I get i higher score by actually playing with the phone myself Not In That WAY and come up with my own benchmark score and Final Score is FLAGSHIP. lol

really? i'm genuinely curious about this, how did you get such a good score? i can't think of anything else to change that would help that other than the performance options and keeping RAM high..
you're using a (metro pcs) S3 with a flashed ROM? cm10?

Upvote 0
really? i'm still new to all this, do i just revert back by flashing my backup? same way i did to flash to cm10?

Did you make a backup of your stock rom? If so, boot into recovery and make a backup of your current rom. Restore your stock backup using recovery. Run all the benchmarks you want. Like shabby and I said, quadrant sucks. Save the scores. Using recovery, restore your current rom and run the same benchmarks. Should take you no longer than half an hour. I believe real world experience trumps these benchmarks when it comes to phones though.

Upvote 0
really? i'm genuinely curious about this, how did you get such a good score? i can't think of anything else to change that would help that other than the performance options and keeping RAM high..
you're using a (metro pcs) S3 with a flashed ROM? cm10?

microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s, much faster than regular class 10 sdhc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones