• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] Tethering for MPCS.F6....!!! All Roms **VIDEO for stock only** UPDATED 12-02-14

I cant get this to work. I've followed all the instructions and even watched the video guide and followed the instructions again. When my computer connects to my phones hotspot it will only stay connected for a few seconds. What am I doing wrong?

ATuner may b kiiling the wifitether... make sure wifi.tether. the dnsmak of wifitether has the red X (on) gray X ( off or kill )

Upvote 0
I finally got my laptop to connect through my phones hotspot but when I try to look up a web page I'm still being directed to the MetroPCS tethering site.

If U are using chrome download useragent changer from chrome market if u are using IE download UAIE9 reg. (Close IE Just run registry) links are posted in OP.beginning

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just wanted to add I got it to work with a T-mobile stock rom. I simply turned on wifi tether for root and killed system/bin/hotspad and it worked like a charm. I (for now) haven't had to use Tor or any user agents. Every web page worked like normal.

I do have a question though. Is it possible to not have to kill hotspad every time? Is there a way we can get that into a new mod for wifi tether?

Upvote 0
Okay, it looks like the Tmo sniffers automatically found out I was wifi tethering. I checked my account and it listed 23.1MB/100MB under Hotspot Usage. However, I just tested it again while using a VPN and that seemed to work for the most part. I did some quick web browsing and the usage is still listed at 23.1MB/100MB while my normal Data count increased instead.

For Tmo users facing the same problem or MetroPCS uses who are suffering with instant reroutes to upgrade on every webpage they visit, try using a VPN and see if that works. I would suggest trying the free versions or free trails to test it out.

Upvote 0
Okay, it looks like the Tmo sniffers automatically found out I was wifi tethering. I checked my account and it listed 23.1MB/100MB under Hotspot Usage. However, I just tested it again while using a VPN and that seemed to work for the most part. I did some quick web browsing and the usage is still listed at 23.1MB/100MB while my normal Data count increased instead.

For Tmo users facing the same problem or MetroPCS uses who are suffering with instant reroutes to upgrade on every webpage they visit, try using a VPN and see if that works. I would suggest trying the free versions or free trails to test it out.
what vpn are you using?

Upvote 0
I think that comes to personal taste. I prefer to run everything to do with the connection on my device... Anyone can connect immediately without needing extra settings...

I had a script on my phone to load TOR and start tethering.... Anyone could connect if they had my password.

To be honest, now I just pay $5 a month since I use it more than my phone.

Upvote 0
I think that comes to personal taste. I prefer to run everything to do with the connection on my device... Anyone can connect immediately without needing extra settings...

I had a script on my phone to load TOR and start tethering.... Anyone could connect if they had my password.

To be honest, now I just pay $5 a month since I use it more than my phone.
Can you give some more detail about your setup? I don't see how running Tor on the phone will mask the browser data from a PC tethers t other phone.

Upvote 0
I have no idea how, but ive unlocked the standard wifi tether on this phone. I was playing around in network and settings, trying to change from 4g to 3g, to get around throttling, and after i hit the wifi tether just to see and it worked.

I just tried for kicks and giggles and I was able to turn it on, even past the verification phase. However, I got the upsell page once I connected and could not get passed it. I even tried a VPN but was not able to connect with the VPN on. I will try to mess around with it later. Hopefully it will still allow me to connect.

There has to be a way around this. If only there is a wifi tether app with built-in VPN and/or user-agent spoofer.

Has anyone tried to see if PDAnet works via USB tether? If I am away on travel I am willing to connect via USB if need be.

Upvote 0
I just tried for kicks and giggles and I was able to turn it on, even past the verification phase. However, I got the upsell page once I connected and could not get passed it. I even tried a VPN but was not able to connect with the VPN on. I will try to mess around with it later. Hopefully it will still allow me to connect.

There has to be a way around this. If only there is a wifi tether app with built-in VPN and/or user-agent spoofer.

Has anyone tried to see if PDAnet works via USB tether? If I am away on travel I am willing to connect via USB if need be.

Check ur PM

Upvote 0
I finally figure how to make the stock mobile tether feature work. Block network access for com.lge.upsell, disabling com.lge.upsell will force close Mobile Hotspot. I'm using Xposed framework with the XPrivacy modules, com.lge.upsell is fed empty data tricking it to make tether_dun_required value 0. You still need to use a VPN (my preferred method) or an User agent to bypass T-Metro upsell page.

Xposed installer and repo site
Xposed Installer | Xposed Module Repository

1. Download the Xposed Installer APK and install it
  2. Launch the Xposed Installer, go to the "Framework" section and click on "Install/Update"
    In case you get a Segmentation Fault error, please install this additional app (not needed if the installation worked fine).
  3. Reboot
  4. Done!
For any modules you want to install:
  1. Download <module>.apk and install it (Module can be find in xposed installer app download section.)
  2. Launch the Xposed Installer and go to the "Modules" section (you will also get there if you click on the notification warning you that the module is not enabled yet)
  3. Enable the module by checking the checkbox
  4. Reboot
  5. Done!
Open XPrivacy, search for com.lge.upsell, check box, mobile hotspot should now work (might need to reboot).

Reactions: o0INDIVIDUAL0o
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones