• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS updating 20% of towers to EVDO

I currently use metro's LG esteem with hop problems at all. I have also used other carriers and I had more dropped calls or no signal. my 4G works well I download full length movies at the same time like a charm. my unlimited vod streams well while watching my tv shows. I have all bars call clarity never a issue. I live in the metro Atlanta area and I have to say I'm good. I had a few freinds over who uses verizon, boost, and tmobile and not one could get signal or there calls dropped. I think its unfair to say bad things when we all don't have the same issues. Another thing is if your tech savvy changing alot of your settings would do you good also. Did you know to take of all updates and chck only notify when on wifi. Also do not sync emails take it off set to manual or longer intervals. Also emails saved txt messages full will slow yur memory down alot. Operamini is the way loads full pages in seconds. One of my phones on my plan.has changed already to ev-do and yes there is a big diffrence, although its not 4G as mine. for $249.00 and not stuck in a crappy contract anymore I am content.

Upvote 0
One of my buddies had one of the "4g" Metro phones and it didn't seem that much faster. We both had our normal average signal, but when I did some browsing (web and market) it seemed it was struggling to load pages. I didn't do a speed test but it was a bit faster then my Optimus with 3g active...but not by much.

Overall I am happy with this phone. It has been good to me, I've dropped it many times with no wear marks, I am suprised it hasn't cracked! The price is good at only like $99 new (I got mine for $40 new though) and seems worth it. After the slight modification to the kernal to overclock it has been doing great. My girlfriends Metro Blackberry has changed from 1x to EV the other day, along with my sisters Banter Touch. I just hope Metro keeps updating their towers and improve their speeds just a bit more! I get the worst speed test results (I couldn't believe the 1000+kbps I see above!) but browsing is noticeably faster so I'm not pulling my hair out waiting for simple pages to load!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones