• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SDHC card discussion for the Evo 3D.

So i do not need to format the new card?

You don't need to format (erase) a new SD card but I find it recommendable. The card will come right out of the package with the correct (FAT) file system in place that the phone will read and write to no problem. But why not make sure it is error free and 100% capacity available before you try to put important data on it, you know what I mean?

This was just asked the other day, go check out this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/360677-swapping-sd-card-content.html#post3009590 my post includes an awesome utility for the PC that fully formats (erase) cards better than the phone will. :cool:

Reactions: ufatbasted
Upvote 0
when I plug my to phone to my computer in via usb are all the files I see the SD card?

Or am I viewing the entire contents of the phone?

You'll have to go into your phone and change the settings for your connection to your PC (Settings > Connection To PC > Ask Me > check box). By checking the box, you can vew all the file folders via the SD card, and create a duplicate file on your PC. Once done, install the new micro SD card, and transfer the same files over to the new card. It's really that simple...

Upvote 0
You'll have to go into your phone and change the settings for your connection to your PC (Settings > Connection To PC > Ask Me > check box). By checking the box, you can vew all the file folders via the SD card, and create a duplicate file on your PC. Once done, install the new micro SD card, and transfer the same files over to the new card. It's really that simple...

Thanks I had my connect to PC settings set up like that. I just wanted to be sure that I was only viewing the SD card files and not the phones 1gig internal storage drive

Upvote 0
I am trying to figure out if the EVO 3D (Android 2.3) supports any of other file system on the SD Card besides FAT32. I tried formatting my SD Card with ext3, but it did not recognize the format, and the phone reformatted it back to FAT32.

The overall goal is to be able to copy files to card that are larger then 4gigs.

I was also researching this topic a couple weeks ago. AFAIK i think android is limited to fat32. I didn't really get into the why's, just read enough that it seemed fat 32 was the way to go, something about the operating systems.

Upvote 0
when I plug my to phone to my computer in via usb are all the files I see the SD card?

Or am I viewing the entire contents of the phone?

I just wanted to be sure that I was only viewing the SD card files and not the phones 1gig internal storage drive

When you operate strictly as intended all you will see is the FAT32 partition of your SD card that is being used for external storage. Some programs will have files indexed in there (save game files, camera pictures, etc.) and if you move any applications to SD then you will see them in there, plus any content you add to the SD via PC will appear here. You won't see the internal storage and you can rest easy knowing you probably won't fatally screw up your phone in any of those easily accessible files.

You will not see the contents of the internal storage or other phone programming files by using the front door because those files are protected and in a file format/file system/partition that Linux recognizes. Although if you know what you are doing or can follow a guide there are easy ways to use the backdoor or side windows (root access, shell via adb, QPST, etc.) to get into other areas. Always make back ups and beware there are ways to screw up and brick a handset by using side windows and back doors. I'm no expert and I have never tried any of these methods so I could be wrong, but I feel I have a overall grasp of the concept. Anyone else feel free to correct or expound.

Upvote 0
Due to the overwhelmingly popular demand for 32gb class 10 micro SD cards, I ended up with a Wintech card. Fry's didn't have the Patriot, Sony, or other popular cards in a class 10, only class 4, so I had to travel to a couple of their stores just to get the one that I had. I ended up paying $65. Not too bad I guess, considering Best Buy was charging $80 bucks for a class 4.

Now I just need to figure out why Green Hornet didn't transfer over when I copied the files over to my PC. I've heard that it should be in the "data" folder, but there's nothing there except some Sony file which doesn't have Green Hornet in it's title.

Upvote 0
I got the 32 gb class 10 microsd card posted above, and let me tell you thatit is well worth the money. anyone who says class 10 is overkill is crazy. My read/write times are fantastic. I had such great luck with the topram 16 gb class 6 that i decided to get the 32gb class 10. I ordered on thursday and received it today and let me tell you it is awesome. Will post read/write pics when i get home

Upvote 0
I'm not just looking for them but for reviews of users

Review: I've had the card from my last post from f&l superstore almost a month now. It writes @ 10 & reads at 16. I spin videos so I have been using it as a liason between my phone and my computer to transfer video to my laptop because the wi-fi where I DJ is horrible. Plus I don't have tethering on my 3D yet. I write about 3 gigs a week on to and off of and haven't had any problems. I can tell you that the Class 10 was worth every freaking penny. I used to rock a Class 4 in my old phone and it took forever and a day just to transfer a few videos to it. Videos are about 100meg mind you.

Upvote 0
I bought my 32gb Class 10 for the sole purpose of uploading movies and storing games. Besides those two things, there's no other reason why I would need it.

My main objective was to acquire Avatar 3D, which I have achieved... And it looks great. Now I''ve been collecting lots of other 3D movies, and other HD movies. I figure at the rate that I'm going, my card will reach its capacity before September. No worries though, I keep both my backup files on my PC in sync with my device.

Upvote 0
why dont you guys post the r/w times here using SD Tools in the market, maybe price, brand and class would be nice as well. also a short yeah or nay on it. I can go first,

I bought a Patriot 16GB Class 10 MicroSDHC Card from Frys. Not very happy w/ it at all. first i had to format it 3 or 4 times to even get my phone to see it. and now my 3d pics seem to be really slow on focusing, doesn't feel smooth like the stock sd card. This is the speed i got after a fresh battery pull using SD Tools

Total Space: 14.91GB
Available Space 7.26GB
W 6.9MB/s
R 19.3MB/s

am i happy w/ card, nah, i think it could be better.

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting for my order to be fulfilled by TD - this is for the Lexar 32GB Class 10. Base price: $54.99. After shipping/sales tax, my total was a little under $61

But in the meantime (because TD may call this a price mistake and cancel it), I picked up the PNY 32GB Class 10 from frys for $60 last weekend. It was a significant performance bump compared to the stock class 4 that I had on the EVO 3D earlier.

Whaddya know - TD actually shipped the lexar 32GB class 10 yesterday! Woohoo!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones