• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SDHC card discussion for the Evo 3D.

Then that's your problem, not his - and so you're clear - around here, we attack issues, not people.

Er, sorry, wasn't meant to be an attack in absolutely any sense, not sure how on earth it came across that way ...

All I said is "I don't understand your way of doing things, here's how I do it"

Taking note of differences =/= personal attack, differences are what make us human :D

I re-read the post again to make sure and I didn't use a single offensive word or personal attack, so I'm pretty sure there wasn't a problem with the post, possibly just a misunderstanding :)

EDIT- anyway, since my post was mod-fied, here's the summary:

I don't understand why people buy 32gb cards for music when google music and amazon cloud exist, those allow you to have basically unlimited (i have 80gb) music "on" your phone

but to each his own :) (added this part since I guess it wasn't apparent before)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I don't understand why people buy 32gb cards for music when google music and amazon cloud exist, those allow you to have basically unlimited (i have 80gb) music "on" your phone

but to each his own :) (added this part since I guess it wasn't apparent before)

A good thing about having the music on the card is not needing to stream from the cloud. I have it in airplane mode and achieve minimal battery life in some instances as well, work in specific. I have found the music player itself uses very little battery life for me when wireless connection options are off.

I also like using my music as an alarm. The only way I have found to do that is to have it on the card.

Of course, I tend to be a bit eclectic when it comes to my music, so the 32GB does come in very handy. And, of course, this does not include the pics or vids I put on the card.

If a 64GB class 10 were to ever come out and work on this phone, I would probably pick it up.

Upvote 0
Ah, the airplane mode is something I hadn't thought of, usually when I'm using it at work/at my desk at home etc I have it plugged into the USB so battery usage isn't an issue.

If for whatever reason you can't charge or just don't like carrying the cord around then I could understand why streaming would be undesirable.

Upvote 0
Ah, the airplane mode is something I hadn't thought of, usually when I'm using it at work/at my desk at home etc I have it plugged into the USB so battery usage isn't an issue.

If for whatever reason you can't charge or just don't like carrying the cord around then I could understand why streaming would be undesirable.

Part of the good thing is I have a phone at my desk and can get personal calls when necessary, so folks know to call that number at certain times if an emergency comes up. That way, airplane mode and low volume so I can hear and no one else can makes the card invaluable to me.

That and I am a bit OCD in that I still like to have something of mine in my physical possession so as not to rely on an external server that isn't mine. A bit extreme maybe, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I probably will love it if I ever try cloud streaming. I just have to get there :D

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I found a card on Newegg from PNY 16 gig class 10 speed that seems new, but positive comments thus far. Price seems good at 27.99 with free shipping. Amazon also has this card for 34.99 with a couple good reviews. I just ordered one.

Newegg.com - PNY 16GB Micro SDHC Flash Card for Tablet PCs Model P-SDU16G10TEFM1

Amazon.com: PNY 16 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card P-SDU16G10TEFS2: Electronics

This is exactly the card I bought (Costco had it on their website for about 2 days). If anyone "out there" is considering using one: I'm very pleased with it. I transfered a single 2.19 GB file to and from it and here's what I got:

Read: 126 seconds (18,661,246 B/sec - 17.8 MB/sec)
Write: 195 seconds (12,058,036 B/sec - 11.5 MB/sec)

I haven't tried a bunch of small files yet, but everything seems nice and snappy.

Upvote 0
Not everyone has cloud access when they want music - other reasons too, like library size and convenience.

This is really a thread for using sd cards. While you're sorting that out, maybe ponder why you'd use Amazon and Google in light of this -

Sorry to re-derail the convo, but I just spent 2 hours setting the whole thing up only to realize it's a 30 day trial and it's 20 dollars to keep using it after that :(

Upvote 0
:)

I personally would never buy a 32GB card for music; but for video - that's another matter :)

What I don't get is why folks spend 2x or 3x for class 10 :)
-
Then again if you have a 7d (or similar) you probably already have a few class 10ish cards around the flat.

Upvote 0
I personally would never buy a 32GB card for music; but for video - that's another matter :)

What I don't get is why folks spend 2x or 3x for class 10 :)
-
Then again if you have a 7d (or similar) you probably already have a few class 10ish cards around the flat.

Well, I think EarlyMon was absolutely correct in his earlier post. A fast card can make a tremendous difference in enumerating photo thumbnails in the gallery, or when building a catalog of your MP3s in a music player (for instance). It's not necessarily whether it has a "4" or a "10" printed on the card's face (because some manufacturers stretch the truth and others tend to underestimate [SanDisk]). It's about real-world speed. The other place where it matters is, after a day of heavy photo or video taking, when I copy everything to my PC for editing and backing up. A fast card can make a world of difference here, too. It can mean the difference between waiting 15 minutes to copy your files vs. 2 minutes.

You're right that it will make no difference in executing apps or playing music or video, but it is when working with large amounts of data that you see a benefit.

Personally, I'd rather have a fast card over a big card. I start out assuming I'm going to buy the fastest card available at the time and then get the largest card I can afford at that speed (which is why I have a 16 GB class 10). The other approach is to decide on card size and then choose the fastest card of that size that you can afford. Both approaches are valid, it's just a matter of what's more important to you. Of course, you could, just get the biggest and fastest and be done with it- ha. ;-)

Upvote 0
I just bought a Transcend TS32GUSDHC4 MicroSDHC Card - 32GB, Class 4 from Compusa a couple weeks back for $43.99. It has been working great. Thumbnails come up fairly quickly, and so far seems to work pretty well. According to SD Tools, it is maintaining an average of 5.2MB/s write speed and 11.7MB/s read speed.

I know I would like to have the class 10, just because, but for my purposes, I can't really complain. I got 32GB of space for less than $50.

Upvote 0
I'll add in my 2 cents as a 3D owner who just purchased a Lexar 32GB Class 10. I love it. I wanted the space for all my music and I saw the difference in speed just transferring to the card, which was enough for me, considering the price difference wasn't ridiculous. It's also just nice to know I have the fastest.

I'm still waiting for my order to be fulfilled by TD - this is for the Lexar 32GB Class 10. Base price: $54.99. After shipping/sales tax, my total was a little under $61

But in the meantime (because TD may call this a price mistake and cancel it), I picked up the PNY 32GB Class 10 from frys for $60 last weekend. It was a significant performance bump compared to the stock class 4 that I had on the EVO 3D earlier.

Upvote 0
Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
I've recorded on my DroidX's Class 4 SD card in HD with no problem. Also, 8GB will probably be more than sufficient of an SD card. Unless you plan on holding a lot of music/movies on it.

Also, when you get the phone, do yourself a favor and make sure all apps put themselves on the internal memory. Porting apps to SD card is more for the lower end/older phones that don't have a lot of internal space. The E3D is definitely not in this class. Putting apps on the SD card just causes problems. It makes widgets not work and if you connect your USB cable and have it in Mass Storage mode, the apps on the SD card will crash.

How is this achieved, because I'm buying a 32gb Class 10 card in a matter of 2 hours from now. And it would be nice if every thing worked as smooth as possible once I convert it over.

I know it's best to sync up on my computer first, but how do I go about transferring apps to the internal memory.

Sorry for my ignorance... It's my first Android phone.

Upvote 0
Hey all. total newbie to Android and opening up cell phones altogether.
I have built computers so I'm sure I can install a new SD card/

I just bought a 32gig sd card to put into my EVO 3d have some questions.

Do I just copy the data on my existing card to my computer and copy it back to the phone once the new card is in?

Does the phone format the new card? If not how do I format before I install.

Sorry for asking I did search but some threads have so many answers/opinions finding the correct one can be difficult.

Upvote 0
Make a back up on your PC for safe keeping, and yes Copy everything on your 8Gb card and transfer it over to the new 32Gb. and then swap the cards out, you are good to go, keep the info on your 8Gb for safe keeping along with the one you put on your PC and your good to go

Hey all. total newbie to Android and opening up cell phones altogether.
I have built computers so I'm sure I can install a new SD card/

I just bought a 32gig sd card to put into my EVO 3d have some questions.

Do I just copy the data on my existing card to my computer and copy it back to the phone once the new card is in?

Does the phone format the new card? If not how do I format before I install.

Sorry for asking I did search but some threads have so many answers/opinions finding the correct one can be difficult.

Upvote 0
Make a back up on your PC for safe keeping, and yes Copy everything on your 8Gb card and transfer it over to the new 32Gb. and then swap the cards out, you are good to go, keep the info on your 8Gb for safe keeping along with the one you put on your PC and your good to go

Good to see you over here, DonB. Yes, I know you moved over here before me. :p

On topic, I agree with DonB. Always keep a backup of your old microSD card in case you ever have to revert to that in the event the higher capacity one has a problem. ;)

Upvote 0
Time for you to change your equipment in your profile :p:p

Good to see you over here, DonB. Yes, I know you moved over here before me. :p

On topic, I agree with DonB. Always keep a backup of your old microSD card in case you ever have to revert to that in the event the higher capacity one has a problem. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones