• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MMMM Kit Kat! Every1 Else Update?

joshm662

Dec 30, 2011
Hey guys! I didn't see any posts about this, if there is, please feel free to delete my thread.... anyways, did everyone else get a system update on their VM phone to KitKat 4.4.2? I just saw I had a system update about 20 mins ago, but it didn't say for what, just that it was around 342mb.... i went ahead with the install and sure enough, my Samsung Galaxy S3 on VM just updated from Jellybean 4.3 to the most up to date version of KitKat, 4.4.2!

Now it's time to play around... im not even sure what is included in this new OS.. any cool tips or tricks? Let me know! Hope everyone got their updates as well!

You said 342MB? That is interesting, because one of the first ones that came out was around 379MB, and people are having problems flashing it through stock recovery(and adb sideload for that matter). Were any of you that took the OTA update and it flashed successfully ever rooted before? What I mean, is your phone 100% stock or have you EVER modified it? We're trying to pinpoint the issue of why the update.zip won't flash for users who have rooted before. Also, could you grab your update.zip from your cache and upload it for me? If it's only 342MB, it may be a revised update. Let me know. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I took the OTA update this morning. size is definitely 342 MB. I am fully stock. Never root, never unlock, never anything. :) Don't see much improvement. The lag while launching the apps have improved from 3-5 sec to about 0-1.5sec. I was able to achieve a 4G speed over 20mbps. Other than that, nothing big deal.

could you upload the update.zip and send the link to me? I'd be interested in flashing it, because the ones I have from other users are more like 379MB. This may be why there's issues. Would very much like to see the difference and what's been changed. Let me know if you'd like to help and I can talk you through the process. Thanks.

Upvote 0
it's funny because today i got my replacement phone from VM and last night the update kicked in at 342mb... now today i got my replacement S3 and the update is the 379mb version.. hmmm.. i don't root or flash roms or whatever that is... i use it was a regular phone/internet/text device.. so i hope i won't have issues with this larger update... we'll see.

EDIT:: has anyone been having problems with the larger update when it comes to just using the phone as most people do? you know, regular day to day things like texting, phone calls.. internet.. email.. etc etc?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I received the notification to update and when I tried to do so I got an error during the reboot. It then booted as normal and asked me to sign into the network. I realized today was the day my bill was due (duh) so I paid that up, but my issue is that I'm still on 4.3 and and it says I'm up to date when I check for updates. I'm stock, so no weird issues there. Should I just factory reset? I feel like I missed a window of opportunity.

Upvote 0
^^interesting. we're in the same city, but I have not received the update.

I just manually checked for an update and got nothing (VM, stock jb s3)

I believe they are rolling out the updates slowly, so I imagine you'll get yours soon. Maybe just keep checking, or be patient and wait for the notification. I'm not as patient and I'm just worried because it already notified me, then gave me an error when I tried to install. Not entirely sure what happened but I want my update.

Upvote 0
I took the OTA update this morning. size is definitely 342 MB. I am fully stock. Never root, never unlock, never anything. :) Don't see much improvement. The lag while launching the apps have improved from 3-5 sec to about 0-1.5sec. I was able to achieve a 4G speed over 20mbps. Other than that, nothing big deal.

I am also 100% stock never rooted. Got the update this afternoon, my update was 379.4 MB? Wonder why the size difference.

Upvote 0
Looks like it's rolling out through kies. Someone please try to capture the tar ball. Here's how to do it

Here's a quick guide on how to snag the OTA tarball from Kies before it flashes itself to your phone. I haven't heard of anyone officially getting it yet, but I'm sure it'll be here soon. Timing is everything, so make sure you're quick before the file deletes itself!
1. Click on Start->Run, enter %temp% and press ENTER. First thing before you go into Kies, clear this folder out.
2. Keep that explorer window open and handy. I also suggest open another to where you want to copy it to(create new folder on desktop and keep it open).
Open Kies, let it download. As soon as it starts flashing, look for a folder with the tarball or search for .tar.md5 in the %temp% folder you have open. Copy/paste it to your new folder. Done. Congrats, you

Reactions: mydian and dynomot
Upvote 0
I'm downloading it now via kies 3.

will try to grab it.

update:

got it.
It's a 1.5gb tarball and a small SS_DL.dll file
jdsingle76 pm me your email address and I will
provide a download link.

The update went well. only weird thing I saw was it wanted to sync my gallery with picasa by default.
I disabled it. Otherwise no issues/problems.

In fact the phone seems generally more responsive/quicker in every aspect.

Upvote 0
Just curious... anyone in virgin mobile canada have the update? Or is it just the US?

Virgin Mobile Canada isn't affiliated with Virgin Mobile USA, which is owned by Sprint. VMUSA seems to be getting updates roughly based on Sprint's schedule; KitKat rolled out to our S3s about a month after Sprint's began updating.

Is the VM Canada version of the S3 on the update list? I know providers are reluctant to discuss updates, but have you tried asking them directly?

Upvote 0
Virgin Mobile Canada isn't affiliated with Virgin Mobile USA, which is owned by Sprint. VMUSA seems to be getting updates roughly based on Sprint's schedule; KitKat rolled out to our S3s about a month after Sprint's began updating.

Is the VM Canada version of the S3 on the update list? I know providers are reluctant to discuss updates, but have you tried asking them directly?

I'm just wondering if the update came to canada at all... I know virgin mobile canda updated the galaxy S4 to kitkat (as did every other carrier did... including bell)

I don't get why Canada didn't get the update yet :(

Upvote 0
For those folks on Boost or VM who flashed the Sprint ND8 Kit Kat tar, I have good news. I just risked sleeping on the couch to see if the NDC tar would flash over the ND8 bootloader, and not only did it flash, but it saved all of the data, just like an OTA upgrade does. She snagged it back before I was able to re-root and such, but just know, it DOES flash over it just fine, just takes awhile. Good luck!

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones