• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music playing question - about to cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdv87

Lurker
Feb 22, 2012
Hello,

I have been trawling the internet trying to get an answer to what I feel is a simple question... it may be so simple that its not even conceived as an issue! If so, please help me and I can too join the people who know!

I downloaded some music, in mp3 format, to my Galaxy Nexus. All I want to do is to be able to play them (shuffled) in a music player where i can access them whenever I want rather than having to select all in a file and add to playlist and lose them when i close the application.

Please note - i do not want to use a cloud or anything like this - just simply search my phone for music, and play said music. The cloud requires streaming and I dont want to pay data charges for listening to my music on the go.

Google Music does not have an option to scan my device for music files, i have to play each track individually! Maybe im stupid, but I really cant figure it out and something so simple on any other phone is making me go very very crazy!

Please help... before I have a breakdown of some sort.

Thanks,
K

So... all of your music is somewhere on your /sdcard folder, and when you launch Google Music, and scroll over to "songs" at the top, none of it is listed?

The answer to your question is to scroll over to "songs" at the top, hit the three dots, and select "shuffle all" - that will do exactly what you want.

But if the songs aren't showing up in Google Music, there's another problem. The app is supposed to scan your /sdcard folder automatically and locate media. I would try going into Settings > Applications, locating Google Music, and then hitting the "clear data" button. Then reboot your phone.

Upvote 0
So... all of your music is somewhere on your /sdcard folder, and when you launch Google Music, and scroll over to "songs" at the top, none of it is listed?

The answer to your question is to scroll over to "songs" at the top, hit the three dots, and select "shuffle all" - that will do exactly what you want.

But if the songs aren't showing up in Google Music, there's another problem. The app is supposed to scan your /sdcard folder automatically and locate media. I would try going into Settings > Applications, locating Google Music, and then hitting the "clear data" button. Then reboot your phone.

Hi, thanks for the info. I did what you said, rebooted the phone and went into "Music". this time it said "searching for music files" or something, but still didnt find any. Using Youtube to mp3 (GREAT APP) i downloaded a few songs. Using ES File Explorer (another good app) I moved the files into the "Music" folder, and still no go!

Is it because the mp3 files are too large? I have no idea!

All suggestions welcome

thanks,

Upvote 0
I can't imagine it's due to size. I have 40-50mb MP3 podcasts that Google Music picks up. Are your files significantly bigger than that?

Really not sure, sorry. It should automatically pick up all of the music files on your device. Have you tried moving a "normal" MP3 (i.e. a song not converted from YouTube) onto your phone?

You could try uninstalling Google Music and then re-installing it from the market.

Upvote 0
no, they are smaller than that by a long way. is there a specific folder I should have the mp3s in?

Thoroughly confused - are there any other apps i can download to do what I want?

Also, I cannot seem to delete or uninstall Music, is there a way to do this I don't know about?

Thanks,

K

Upvote 0
Well, you could certainly try another music player like WinAmp. There are lots of music players in the market, many of them free.

Maybe you can't uninstall Music - I haven't tried. Just was thinking out loud.

No, there's no specific folder you need to have the files in. For instance, I have some files in /Music/, but all of my podcasts (which Google Music sees) are in /DoggCatcher/EpisodeEnclosures/##/ - clearly not a folder that you would expect Google Music to be looking for. It just scans your entire storage folder for compatible files.

Upvote 0
I'm going to try this:
Settings>Apps>All>Media Storage>Clear Data

When i get home and reinstall Google Music.

This wont delete all of my stuff right? I read somewhere that it only forces the phone to rescan the memory for things... i may be wrong. If someone could advise, would be grateful. Sorry for all the questions, this is really p*ssing me off!

Upvote 0
Just downloaded WINAMP... still same issue!

i will try different MP3s when i get home... this is ridiculous! Might have to contact Google? lol good luck me

If you copy these "MP3" 's to a desktop PC do they play ok?

to be honest this almost sounds like a issue with the MP3s

I don't know about "ES file explorer" in "Asrto" you can "open" the file it plays it.

If ES allows you to do this does it play?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure this is because Google watermarks MP3s from YouTube.

It's against their TOS to download/rip music in this way. This is also not really an issue related to the GNex.

As such I am going to close this thread, but feel free to PM me if you feel strongly about continuing this discussion.

cheers

Edit: You can also look here for some great music services:

http://androidforums.com/android-media/378821-looking-free-music-here-your-legal-options.html

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones