• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MUSIC through USB?

I cant get my phone to play music through my usb.

I specifically just had a cd player put into my car with a usb jack on the front so I could plug my phone in and play my music as well as get a charge.( like how a flash drive would play music)

I wanted to do this so I dont have cords everywhere. 1 to charge and 1 av cord to play music etc..

Is there a way to do this? I have tried changing my settings on the phone and still get nothing. When I turn on my music it just starts playing through the external speaker.:thinking:

Hmmmm....the only thing I can think of is I believe the car head units read devices like a mass USB storage device. When you plug it in, does your phone ask you want you want to do? If so, see if you can make it so you're CD Player reads it like a computer reads a USB drive. The you might be able to navigate to your songs folder through your stereo.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure. I know they make car head units that hook up through bluetooth, which may be the route to go!

Upvote 0
playing audio through the usb isn't a feature on the phone and was never advertised as one. hopefully you weren't misled to believe so.

at the moment the only way to get audio out is through the earplug or a bluetooth connection.
I never saw any advertisement about it. But all this hype about the new thunderbolt being way better than the Iphone4 etc I would think it would be able to do something as simple as that.

Hmmmm....the only thing I can think of is I believe the car head units read devices like a mass USB storage device. When you plug it in, does your phone ask you want you want to do? If so, see if you can make it so you're CD Player reads it like a computer reads a USB drive. The you might be able to navigate to your songs folder through your stereo.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure. I know they make car head units that hook up through bluetooth, which may be the route to go!

I dont think my cd player is capable of scrolling through like you mention. I don know what you are talking about because thats how my friends new camaro is when he plugs in his Ipod.

Upvote 0
How does your stereo handle flash drives? If you plug one in, does it automatically search and load music files, regardless of folder? If so, then IF your computer triggers the Connection type on your phone, and you change it to Disk Drive, then it should work the same way as if you put a flash drive in. If not, there's not really anything you can do about it. As was mentioned, the only other way would be the headphone jack out, or a Bluetooth connection.

It's not so much a limitation of the phone itself, but rather just a product of the particular pairing of your stereo and phone. Everything has to be compatible (for lack of a better word) in order for it all to work completely in a certain way.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones