• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My impression of Motorola Triumph vs Samsung Indulge

someguy43210

Jul 20, 2011
I must say I am much happier with Virgin/Sprint coverage, the 3G speed is about 6 times slower 4G obviously (4.5mbps vs ~0.6-1mbps), but I get better signal coverage. However, phone wise, the Samsung Indulge beats the Motorola Triumph for the most part in my opinion. On paper is different from practical usage.

Both phone has about the same hardware performance. The Triumph has a nicer looking screen and higher res screen of course. It has stereo speakers. It has better WiFi antenna apparently. It's battery life is a bit better (but not enough to rave about), but that goes without saying considering this phone is 3G vs 4G.

Yet to me the Indulge is a snappier performer. One reason is due the Indulge having better capacitive screen and detects 3 fingers at once. On the Triumph, with smaller objects, I often have to press things twice to get it to register. Contrasted with the Indulge that has smaller screen, yet has better touch precision. The Triumph only detects two fingers and fail to register twisting motions at a failure rate of about 19 out of 20 tries (maybe its just my screen?). For example, the newest Google Maps you can twist the map, it is instant and easy with the Indulge, almost impossible with the Triumph. Therefore I conclude it has to be better to play games using onscreen controls with the Indulge. I'm not saying the Triumph capacitive screen is that bad, you can do all normal tasks with relative ease, typing speed on both phones are about the same. But for a $300 phone that rely solely on touchscreen and detects only 2 fingers with limited special function is a fail for me.

Another problem I have with the Triumph is backlight leakage. On mine, there is a strong leaks at the top edge, at both bottom corners, and even through the crack in the bottom where the screen meets the bezel (can be seen in the dark). The screen flickered once half of the time you turn on the screen, but that is not an issue with me. Although sometimes when I turned on the screen, the colors are all messed up and I have to turn it off and on to fix it, though this might just be a software issue.

Lastly, megapixels does not equal quality of lens. Though the Triumph camera has LED flash and 5MP shots, its lens looks smaller. Mine Triumph lens comes with a permanent yellow and purple blobs that are shown in all photos. I can try to hide it by turning on the LED flash. Also it lacks the ability to take macroshots unlike the Indulge. Whenever you try, the camera will click and blurs, you'll have to move back from the object.

One last thing I like about the Indulge is more hardware buttons and they're protruded (not flat) for easier access.

Overall, I can live with the Triumph problems and I save money on the long run from Virgin plan. I bought the phone from a 3rd party vendor so they don't allow me to return it for such issues anyway (lesson learned). Yes Google is buying Motorola, but that's mainly for their patent portfolio, does it really means other Motorola phones in the future won't be rebranded Huawei phones. Those who are interested in the Motorola Triumph, if you have good signal coverage with Metro and can still afford their 4G plan, stick with your Samsung Indulge.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones