• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My installation of Epic 2.5 seems to have ruined my phone permanently?

mfunk9786

Lurker
Nov 30, 2010
I am really hoping I can get some help.

I completely understand that this is my fault and I rooted my phone, I took all these steps, and it's not the ROM's fault. I get that going in. I am not looking for lectures.

I am a total n00b to the world of rooting my phone (I used z4 and was able to do a lot of other things one can only do when their phone is rooted, so I felt pretty secure). I was enjoying it quite a bit until I decided to install a ROM. I have a Droid 2 and I used the Bootstrap app along with Rom Manager to backup my phone, bootstrap, mount the /system folder, and install the Epic ROM. Everything seemed to be going just fine until the reboot after the install - I am stuck on the opening 'splash' screen (with the spotlight over the EPIC logo) of the Epic ROM and it doesn't go any further.

Making matters worse, when I do a battery pull and hold X and Power, I am brought into the default Android recovery, not the Clockwork recovery. I have no access to my backup, and when I try to do a factory restore from there, it does not complete it successfully. When I try to installl from update.zip (which is the only option it gives me) I am told it cannot access it.

I am trying to just get my phone back to usable condition at this point, is there anything I can do or am I a completely lost cause? I am really freaking out - I realized I could cause problems by rooting, but now I don't know how to get my phone back at all... is it just a brick now, or is there some kind of fix to get back to a usable condition?

Please help!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones