• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My laptop doesn't do USB mode

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
when I plug my Optimus V into my PC, I get battery charging, and an icon on the phone to enable USB mode.

when I plug the same phone into my laptop (issued from my work/job) I get battery charging but no icon to enable USB mode on the phone.

is it possible there is some security on the laptop that prevents USB mode on the phone? yes it is a work issued computer and it has a lot of security crap on there. if this is most likely the issue, any idea where I should look to disable it temporarily if I really need to copy a file off my phone?

thanks

Hey Gary try installing the device drivers on the computer it may work then I'm thinking your home PC has them but your work one doesn't let me know :)

thanks i'll try that. are you talking about those drivers you get from LG? where you have to install that other program first? I've wrestled with that a lot before. I get the installer program on there but it never recognizes that my phone is plugged in, even when it is. so I never get it installed. I guess i'll try again.

and shouldn't we be able to transfer files without installing drivers? what if I'm at a friends house and I want to give them a photo off my phone? should be doable without downloading drivers, shouldn't it?

Upvote 0
Hey garybeck.
Have you tried these drivers http://www.lg-phones.org/wp-content/uploads/LG-Optimus-V.zip
Unpack the zip, click on the installer and let it install the drivers. After install is done then reboot (this will allow for the install of the other two drivers). Turn on your PC but not the phone. Plug phone into PC, then turn the phone on.

If that doesn't work try turning the PC off but leave the phone on and plug into the PC after the PC shuts down. Then turn the PC on. This has a very low chance of working, but every now and then it does (depends on the PC).

Upvote 0
thanks I haven't tried that. I basically gave up a while ago on this. I figured since it's a work computer maybe there is some security on there preventing me from doing this. I can use wifi file sharing (ES file explorer app) to transfer files instead. I will try your suggestion though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones