• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My next car

I was contemplating what to do with the money in my spare change pocket...and then I saw this!

porsche-911-targa-4s-20140828.jpeg

written about in this article in today's LA Times:

Removable roof on Porsche 911 Targa 4S offers California-cool factor

Porsche's all-new 911 Targa 4S makes you wonder whether its engineers ever get any time off.

You'd think these pocket-protected Poindexters would have been busy enough with the 918 Spyder, one of the fastest and most complicated hybrid supercars in the world.

Same for the Macan, easily the best-handling small crossover around. And don't forget the 911 Turbo S, one of the most civilized 560 horsepower vehicles on the road today.

Amid all that, Porsche's engineers also had to create this 2014 911 Targa, with perhaps the most elaborate sunroof in the world.

For this latest generation, Porsche mixed automation with heritage.

The 2014 Targa 4 and 4S both feature the same large glass rear window and silver "Targa bar" roll bar of the original models. But the magnesium framed, cloth-covered roof now folds at the touch of a button and stows below the rear glass, behind the passengers, in 19 seconds.

What's more, when driven hard, the $147,000 sapphire blue metallic Targa 4S we tested still had some of the chassis flex that plagues a regular convertible. So don't buy this model thinking that you're getting coupe-like rigidity or a discount over a 911 convertible.

But what the Targa offers that none of its siblings can match is an intangible, California-cool factor. With the top stowed, the silver Targa bar shining in the afternoon sun and the arching rear glass window chasing the driver, this car oozes style in a way that its traditional coupe and convertible siblings do not.

And, most importantly of all for me:

The base model starts at $102,595 and comes with a 3.4-liter, six-cylinder engine that makes 350 horsepower. Our 4S tester comes with the 3.8-liter six that makes 400 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. A seven-speed manual is standard, while our car had the seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission as a $4,080 option.

So there you have it. Oh...wait...I counted wrong... :eek: Seems I'm about $146,999 short...

:rofl:

haha, just a bit short...

I decided that I need to wait to get a good car. I want to save up money for 3-4 years and then buy my dream car.

A Tesla Model III.

With a $35,000 price tag, which is the most expensive car that anyone in my family will ever spend on a car.

Just thinking of never having to buy Gas again, it's blissful. Having to stop at a charging station while I have a lunch sounds like a luxury.

Right now, I have about...

$5,000 - $7,500 saved up. Depending on how much I want to take out.

Upvote 0
haha, just a bit short...
Yep, just a few bucks. :)

I decided that I need to wait to get a good car.
I understand that, but if you bought a usable car now and it enabled you to do more, like maybe get a higher paying job, you could go back to saving up and perhaps get your dream car sooner.

I want to save up money for 3-4 years and then buy my dream car.

A Tesla Model III.
Nice choice. :D

Upvote 0
I have a car, sort of. I just use my grandma's car for now, going from Chicago and other Chicagoland areas for school. I don't know about getting a new job... I been looking but ain't nobody hiring me. I'm stuck at McDonalds.

Hey, my old boss may be coming back to our store... If he does, then it'll be fun to work at McDonalds again.

Upvote 0
I don't know about getting a new job... I been looking but ain't nobody hiring me. I'm stuck at McDonalds.
Don't lose hope. I'm a firm believer in opportunity knocking--you just have to be listening. Something may come up where you least expect it. So be aware, apply at places you'd LIKE to work, even if you don't think you have a chance of being hired, and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Don't lose hope. I'm a firm believer in opportunity knocking--you just have to be listening. Something may come up where you least expect it. So be aware, apply at places you'd LIKE to work, even if you don't think you have a chance of being hired, and see what happens.
Okay. I'm going to apply to Samsung, Google, Microsoft, AMD, Intel and hope I get a job. Haha I wish.

Does it sound unrealistic for me to say I want to buy the Tesla Model III?

I asked everyone in my family and nobody has every bought a car for more than $6,000. And I'm talking about buying a $35,000+ car.

Then again. Free travel, and very low service.

Upvote 0
Okay. I'm going to apply to Samsung, Google, Microsoft, AMD, Intel and hope I get a job. Haha I wish.

I asked everyone in my family and nobody has every bought a car for more than $6,000. And I'm talking about buying a $35,000+ car.

Then again. Free travel, and very low service.

It's VERY important that you remember that it's not free travel. You pay for both the electricity and maintenance. I bought a $28,000 Jetta TDI (full gig), most my family's ever spent on a car. It was worth it (to me), but I'll admit, there are times it strains the finances.

Upvote 0
It's VERY important that you remember that it's not free travel. You pay for both the electricity and maintenance.
Commercials I've seen for various electric vehicles make it sound like the electricity is free. For example, they'll have an owner who says they plug it in when they get home at night and plug it in when they get to work in the morning--um, who's footing the bill for the work charge? :thinking:

Also, here in California we've had--for many, many years--signs all over the place that say "electric vehicle charging station." Since I've never owned an electric vehicle, I've never had the inclination to follow any of those signs, but I've always wondered about them.

I bought a $28,000 Jetta TDI (full gig), most my family's ever spent on a car. It was worth it (to me), but I'll admit, there are times it strains the finances.
The Jetta TDI is diesel, correct, not electric? (I'm a Toyota girl through and through...well, when I'm not buying $150,000 Porsches, you know, so I let my friend Google tell me about the TDI.) How do diesel prices compare to gasoline these days?

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying...I was thinking that your spare change pocket had to be bigger than Chris Christie's trousers!!
No, silly, it's stuffed with $100,000 bills! :D I'm so rich that I get CHANGE in $100,000 increments. :laugh:

The top is intriguing; the article says it "chases" the driver, but that really doesn't look like a "stowed" position...and that California Cool will fade when one of the 367 sensors in the thing hiccups. ;)
Funny you should mention that. For as much as I love technology, I REALLY dislike it in certain areas. For example, when I bought a new range a few months ago I really wanted to avoid a completely electronically-controlled model, but it was hard to find top-of-the-line gas ranges that weren't that way. What I ended up with does have the electronic panel that does a lot of stuff, including controlling the oven/broiler, but at least it has real knobs and real burners--which will work with a match if need be [like when the power is out].

Upvote 0
Hey, you never know! Besides, any of those places need lower-level employees, too, not just the high-end folks with tons of education and experience.

Not to me. :)

And?

So you'll be the first. It has to start somewhere.

Upvote 0
Regardless what you may have been told at the time of purchase, may I respectfully suggest that you might want to check that out -- before you need to. Lots of the newer-technology ranges, in the name of safety, have an electronic solenoid for the gas valve, so no power means no gas flow. Simple test, have your matches handy, unplug the thing, turn on a burner and see if you can manually light it. (You should be able to hear and smell the gas, but you want to actually light it and let it burn for a minute or so just to be sure it's not burning off what's already in the lines.)

I hope it lights...and stays lit! :D
That's an excellent point, and suggestion. I was going on the assumption that the previous range's burners did light with a match when the power was out, and since it--like the new one--had the auto-ignite clicky thing, it would work. It never dawned on me there could be more to it than that. I'm not going to try your suggestion, though, because the range is way too heavy for me to try moving. So I'll have to wait until I have someone over who can do it.

Upvote 0
Hey, you never know! Besides, any of those places need lower-level employees, too, not just the high-end folks with tons of education and experience.

Not to me. :)

And?

So you'll be the first. It has to start somewhere.
Haha thanks.

The reason I like the Tesla, not just the beautiful looks. (I'm sure that Tesla will make a beautiful high quality car even if they sell it for $35,000). Electric means very little moving parts, meaning less maintaining the vehicle. So service will be less. No more buying a new engine, coil, transmission, carburetor or whatever.

And free Tesla charging stations forever. By 2 years from now, there will be plenty to drive around the city of Chicago and chicagoland areas without worrying if you need a charge. Free too. Unless you count fueling yourself at a Starbucks which may cost about the same as gas.

Anyway I'm looking for a car for the long run. Something I may have for 20 years maybe. Maybe even more than that.

Upvote 0
Haha thanks.

The reason I like the Tesla, not just the beautiful looks. (I'm sure that Tesla will make a beautiful high quality car even if they sell it for $35,000). Electric means very little moving parts, meaning less maintaining the vehicle. So service will be less. No more buying a new engine, coil, transmission, carburetor or whatever.
Or you could buy a Toyota. :D (I've owned nothing but Toyotas since January, 1985. Needing to replace parts or having my car in the shop for repairs are unknown to me.)

Anyway I'm looking for a car for the long run. Something I may have for 20 years maybe. Maybe even more than that.
See above. :) I don't recall offhand what the percentage is, but I know it's crazy high, the percentage of Toyotas made since 1980(?) that are still on the road.

Upvote 0
If your circuit breakers are well-labeled, you can kill the power to it that way instead of moving it. :D
Yes, they're labelled and I could do that...but won't. I never walk over [any more] to where the circuit breaker is located on my house, because of my stupid balance problems.

BTW, why on earth are circuit breakers OUTSIDE here?! :thinking: I was used to having them inside, typically in the master bedroom closet, then I move back home and find out they're outside. :eek:

Upvote 0
Commercials I've seen for various electric vehicles make it sound like the electricity is free. For example, they'll have an owner who says they plug it in when they get home at night and plug it in when they get to work in the morning--um, who's footing the bill for the work charge? :thinking:

Also, here in California we've had--for many, many years--signs all over the place that say "electric vehicle charging station." Since I've never owned an electric vehicle, I've never had the inclination to follow any of those signs, but I've always wondered about them.

The Jetta TDI is diesel, correct, not electric? (I'm a Toyota girl through and through...well, when I'm not buying $150,000 Porsches, you know, so I let my friend Google tell me about the TDI.) How do diesel prices compare to gasoline these days?

Here in Raleigh, NC? $3.759 vs $3.399

Upvote 0
Why?

When something goes wrong you want them away from combustibles.

pdm-panel-fire.jpg
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But it sure was a lot more convenient having it inside.

Side note: some have long suspected you're unbalanced, so thanks for confirming it! :D :D
:p

:laugh:

(Seriously, I'm sorry to hear that, it's not fun to live with. I trust you've been examined, etc, particularly at least to rule out BPV, which is easily treated simply by a series of head movements?)
No, it's nothing like that. I know exactly when and why it started. I had a brain tumor. As it grew it pressed on the vestibular nerve on my right side--the nerve that controls balance. Prior to the tumor's diagnosis, I kept losing my balance, falling, and breaking bones. :eek: During the middle fossa craniotomy to remove the tumor, the brain surgery team was unable to dissect the tumor away from the vestibular nerve, so out it went. Let's just say that relearning how to stand up and walk, without falling over, in my 50s was interesting. I'm usually okay now, although leaning over or turning too quickly will trigger dizziness. Also, I CANNOT walk in the dark at all without falling over. And walking on uneven surfaces--like my yard--is also risky. My WORST NIGHTMARE is that the power goes out at night... :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Or you could buy a Toyota. :D (I've owned nothing but Toyotas since January, 1985. Needing to replace parts or having my car in the shop for repairs are unknown to me.)

See above. :) I don't recall offhand what the percentage is, but I know it's crazy high, the percentage of Toyotas made since 1980(?) that are still on the road.
Sorry buy those Toyotas are so ugly. My cousin drives an old camry, though it goes from point a to b, it's so ugly I think.

I may have to settle for one as a first car, only to last a few years to go to school and all, but after that I want something a little more premium. However I like Ford and Chevy. I'll probably buy one of those for my first car.

Upvote 0
Sorry buy those Toyotas are so ugly. My cousin drives an old camry, though it goes from point a to b, it's so ugly I think.
Toyotas...UGLY? :thinking:

RAV4.jpg

I may have to settle for one as a first car
Um...a new Toyota, depending on model and features, can cost upward of $50,000.

only to last a few years to go to school and all, but after that I want something a little more premium. However I like Ford and Chevy. I'll probably buy one of those for my first car.
To each their own. :)

Everyone I've ever known who's owned Ford or Chevy/GMC spends a LOT of money on repairs. My best friend's mother retired from GMC; she and her family get a discount on vehicles. My best friend steadfastly keeps buying GMC trucks...and she keeps spending a lot of time with said trucks in the shop, and she spends a lot of money on repairs. I keep giggling and snorting when she tells me about it, and then she says, "I know, I know, I should get a Toyota, but I just can't! I have to stay loyal to GMC!" Whatever. :laugh:

Meanwhile, guess what my most expensive repair has been in the last 29 years? A few dollars. I replaced the clutch pedal's pad in my RAV4 a while back. :D

Upvote 0
Woah. That's rough...and also pretty scary. I can totally appreciate you not wanting to go traipsing around in the yard or bending over and tugging on a 16,000 lb. gas range. ;)
Exactly--especially traipsing around in the yard IN THE DARK!! :eek:

Hopefully there is some hope in a long-term prognosis?
I'm as improved as I'm going to get, so what I have now is it. But, as I'm extremely fond of saying on Twitter on #BrainTumorThursday, when I start feeling down about my lot in life, I just remind myself that unlike many other people who've dealt with brain tumors, I'm above ground. That's a sure-fire way to pull myself out of almost any pity party! :D

Upvote 0
902de9cfd342e3dada40897019adb093.jpg

Not all Toyotas. The newer ones look good. But the older ones, like the picture, something similar to what my cousin drives, I think are ugly.
You know, I think you're confusing two different things: ugliness and datedness. (I don't think that's a word, but whatever.) If you put a whole bunch of 1990 vehicles together, lots of different makes and models, they'd all look like the car in the picture: dated. In 1990 when they were new, their designs were considered attractive. But today, they look...well, kind of ugly. Think about hairstyles and clothing styles--they change, right? And when someone looks back at themselves 10 or 20 or 30 years ago, there's usually an element of, "OMG! how could I have thought THAT [hairdo] [outfit] [makeup] looked good?!!!" Same thing with cars. What we consider nice looking today will look dated and, perhaps, unattractive 20+ years from now. (Not all cars, of course.)

By settle, you know I mean settle for a Toyota for like $1500 or something. Paying $50,000 isn't settling, that's ballin
I know. :)

Upvote 0
You know, I think you're confusing two different things: ugliness and datedness. (I don't think that's a word, but whatever.) If you put a whole bunch of 1990 vehicles together, lots of different makes and models, they'd all look like the car in the picture: dated. In 1990 when they were new, their designs were considered attractive. But today, they look...well, kind of ugly. Think about hairstyles and clothing styles--they change, right? And when someone looks back at themselves 10 or 20 or 30 years ago, there's usually an element of, "OMG! how could I have thought THAT [hairdo] [outfit] [makeup] looked good?!!!" Same thing with cars. What we consider nice looking today will look dated and, perhaps, unattractive 20+ years from now. (Not all cars, of course.)

I know. :)
That's probably right. Those cars are dated, so I feel that in modern day today, they are ugly.

I'll probably have to settle with a dated, ugly vehicle until I can afford a premium sedan. Like my dream car Tesla. I already have about $8,000 saved up. But won't even consider throwing my life savings into anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones