• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy Player

exactly sideman, but if you need to make a call and don't have a wi fi connection (which is often the case) is does you no good as a phone. i agree that it sure beats having a two year contract, and the talkatone app works great!

you see i am a landscaper and i am in rural comunituies most of the day and about 90 percent of the time do not have a wifi connection, so to me business wise as a phone the sgp is almost worthless (that is why i have my cell phone) but this thing is a great and powerful device and as i said the phone app is great and a good idea to use when you have a wi fi connection.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I have a plain vanilla cell phone for the times I'm away from WiFi...the cheapest one I could get from Verizon. The SGP covers all my other needs quite well...like navigation, gaming, inventory, tracking stocks, note taking, and so on. I look at it as much more than a toy. It's a real PDA.

The SGP is so versatile that it can be anything you need it to be. Now if only Samsung would realize how great it is...and do some good marketing...instead of relying on word of mouth.

Upvote 0
I agree about wishing Samsung would wake up and do a better job promoting this wonderful device. Unfortunately, as far as the tech press is concerned, if it doesn't have a cell radio, it's a media player. :rolleyes: I do serious work on mine.

I have an ideal situation. I still have a perfectly functional Nexus One, which I use with a Gophone sim in it. That, of course, is my phone, no contract. It runs CyangenMod 7.2. If I'm ever someplace without wifi and I really need it for my SGP5, I simply turn my Nexus One into a wifi hotspot (with WPA-PSK security). PAYG data buckets are not that expensive and I don't need them that often. Between that combination and my Apple Wireless Keyboard, I almost don't need my laptop. Companion Link even gives me direct syncing to Outlook. I'm getting some serious work done on this baby and the screen is large enough for me to actually do it while still being able to fit it in my pants pocket. :cool:

I love this device! I do hope it is successful enough, even if only niche success, to keep the line going and evolving.

Upvote 0
I lost my iPod a week ago and was inconsolable. I'm a grad student and regularly receive dozens of important emails about assignments and scheduling changes which I need to keep on top of. My iPod touch was decent. Since I have wifi almost every where I go during the semester, my house to the bus to campus, I don't see the need for an expensive contact. The other day I ran to catch the bus and lost my touch. It had been a week, and I thought it was gone for good, so I started looking for a new iPod. In my research I stumbled across the sgp, and i'm glad I did. It does everything my iPod did and a little more. Plus I got the 5, so it's huge. The iPod looks small in comparison. it's big enough to see but small enough to fit in my pocket. Just this morning, I get a call from a guy who (i didn't know people returned things anymore.) found my iPod but how can I go back? I guess I'll keep the touch as a backup or my gym player.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
I got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 16gig wifi/G4 (P7500) for Christmas through my daughters employee plan (For an amazing $170 Canadian - taxes included). I was so impressed with the unit that when I came across the SGP 5.0 on their web site I started looking around for it here in Ontario. The only retail place I could find it was "Leon's" (a furniture store) and they wanted $350 + taxes.

A little trip to Watertown - NY took care of that problem. I purchsed the SGP 5.0 + device protective cover and generic automotive power adapter (twin USB sockets rated 2.0 amps) for under $285 which included the NY sales tax at Best Buy. Add to that a $15 leather belt case from a vendor in the mall and you have a very happy user.

As both devices are Samsung there is only on learning curve.
The only thing missing from my SGP was a screen capture app like there is on the P7500. Most screen capture apps I found required root access in order to work. I came across "NO ROOT SCREENSHOT" and this app works great with the SGP 5.0.

My main use for this unit is access to e-books, mail, web, audio recorder, organizer, media browser (pics, music and personal videos) as well as a standalone (non wifi) GPS Map & Navigation using Mapdroyd and Navdroyd.

I have to investigate if I can append some of the external storage to be used as first level SD storge or even system storage. I wonder if this can be achieved by partitioning the external sd card. I have found myself low on space a few times. Does anyone have any ideas on resolving this issue (besides not downloading too many apps). I do have "App2SD" and "Send to SD" installed.

JLG

Upvote 0
Well, I cleared primary storage of fotos and stuff,
and I learned to use my auxiliary 32gig sd.
Also, I deepsixed any app that didn't look promising.
I kept all the google apps, and a small variety of video players,
as dvd watching :thrasher:with subtitles on the five incher is great.
The idea of first level SD storage sounds fantastic, though not quite sure what it means.
Maybe being adventurous, and rooting the unit would work,
but I'm blowing smoke and would not dare root this gem of a player.
Cheers,
Loc315

" if I can append some of the external storage to be used as first level SD storge or even system storage. I wonder if this can be achieved by partitioning the external sd card. I have found myself low on space a few times. Does anyone have any ideas on resolving this issue (besides not downloading too many apps). I do have "App2SD" and "Send to SD" installed."

Upvote 0
All right guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on the GP 5.0. Anything I should know (tips, tricks, comments)?

I will be selling my iPod Classic 120GB (don't use nearly that much space). I am getting the GP mainly for music and podcast listening (likely will get doggcatcher)

I currently use my iPod in the car for podcasts and music and will use the GP in the same way. I do have an iPhone and iPad but don't use them for music, podcasts, etc. Any suggestion for car cradles or cases for the GP that work well in the car?

This will be my first Android device and I am looking foward to getting my feet wet in the Android goodness!

Thanks!

Matt

Upvote 0
I'd say "pull that trigger, brother!!". :rock: Have you looked at the SGP accessory thread? Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 Accessories

You might find what you want in there....screen protectors, cases, dash mounts, etc. When you find what you want, please post about it there. It will help others as they discover how great the SGPs are.

You are gonna find that you'll begin using the SGP for much more than you every thought you would. It's soooooo versatile!!

Upvote 0
The only thing that concerns me is the on screen controls versus the hardware controls on the iPod Classic for vehicle use. As it is now, I can easily pause, play, and even fast forward on the Classic while never taking my eyes off the road. I have tried to use my daughter's iPod Touch in the car, but it doesn't work well at all. Mainly because the playback controls get so tiny in landscape mode on the iPod Touch.

Upvote 0
I just used mine today in the car for the first itme with google navigation and playing music at the same time, the music cuts out when instructions come on. the big screen makes using it in landscape mode very easy. Plus navigating the music player is not hard, just set it up with your favorite folders to make it easier to navigate and you are away. turn off screen timeout also helps with music use.

superb device!

marcel

Upvote 0
Agreed. I have a plain vanilla cell phone for the times I'm away from WiFi...the cheapest one I could get from Verizon. The SGP covers all my other needs quite well...like navigation, gaming, inventory, tracking stocks, note taking, and so on. I look at it as much more than a toy. It's a real PDA.

The SGP is so versatile that it can be anything you need it to be. Now if only Samsung would realize how great it is...and do some good marketing...instead of relying on word of mouth.

I've thought this too; Someone in Samsung's marketing department fell on their butt big-time.
After further consideration, I think they just do not make NEARLY the money off these as they do a real smartphone like the Galaxy SII. OK, maybe the SGII has a better screen, better processor and of course, a phone radio. But it's not like that additional hardware costs $600! An SGSII was around $800 unlocked off contract! So this thing is almost a loss-leader for them. They've got no interest in promoting something which will detract folks from much more lucrative hardware and entering into expensive contract deals with carriers; they know who butters their bread.

They probably felt they needed to compete with the iPod Touch somehow, and get something on the shelf to hold Apple at bay...maybe just to p*ss them off...

Anyway, while everyone else pays through the nose every month on contract and fees and taxes and state charges and avoids using data on their smartphones because of over-the-cap fees (!)...we are the winners. I must have 50-60 wifi connections "waiting"...all I have to do is walk into a restaurant, office, store or coffee shop again and I've got "unlimited" wifi logging on automatically. Not too shabby for free.:rock:

Upvote 0
hey...am back in the USA again... and bought another SGP.... and unloaded my TMOB SGT... the SGP is much more useful to me... even living in Brazil... what is really funny... I have a google voice account here in the USA.. and can call internationally from it for less than any of the local carriers in Brasil.. and, yes the drawback is it is only Wifi....then again the world is changing.... and for us SGP users.. for the better... Ted

Upvote 0
when i purchase my sgp 5 back in January i had never before even used wifi. i also bought a router to go with it so i could set up a home network and use the sgp. i was impressed right off the bat, but... when i took it out with me driving around town the next day i was absolutely blown away at how much free and readily available wifi there is out there. it is almost everywhere. i almost never lose a connection. it is almost as good as having a data plan with a cell company, but for free! again, it is amazing how prevalent wifi is and it is only getting better everyday! it's a beautiful thing!!

Upvote 0
Dittos on the "beautiful thing" remark.

I spent the last 2 days in the hospital with my daughter who was having surgery. I can't remember how many people asked me what kind of phone I was using. Ha, ha, ha! It was such fun explaining that it wasn't a phone at all, but was a media player! You should have seen the looks I got!! And they would say "And you can do phone calls for FREE?!?!?!" What a kick that was! LOL!!!

And the fruit crowd was so impressed...and jealous...that I had more features in my player than they had in their "touch" gadgets. :rock:

Oh, and they thought music sounded just as good as their I-gadget. :D

Upvote 0
Whats' really cool too, after some time, is that you get this really big list of wifi networks that you have logged onto in the past. Various restaurants, offices, etc...and when you walk in to one of these places again, you automatically get logged in! I imagine if you lived in a dense urban environment you could pretty much get blanket wifi coverage. What if you could walk from one wifi network and have the next one pick you right up without braking connection? Free cell.
I know, that really is expecting too much, but it's getting closer!

Upvote 0
There are some areas in US and worldwide where WIMAX is in place. Usually not for free...however, note the following:

Northern Michigan University, working with Intel, Lenovo, Motorola and Cisco, deployed a WiMAX network covering the City of Marquette, Michigan. Most of the City of Marquette has access to the WiMAX network, as well as some points as far south as Chocolay Township and west as Marquette Township. Currently,[when?] students and faculty of NMU have access to the network; along with certain city personnel.

Polytechnic Institute of NYU has an experimental WiMAX network installed at their Brooklyn, New York campus

University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is providing WiMAX service to student community within two-mile radius beyond the campus. In addition, the service has been expanded to the Woods Hole Marine Biological Laboratory(MBL) and in a two-mile radius beyond MBL’s campus.

University of Colorado at Boulder is working on providing WiMAX to a small area near campus.

source is wiki: List of deployed WiMAX networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Capitol of Vermont, Montpelier, I believe, was considering subsidizing city-wide wimax a few years ago. Never panned out.

Baltimore, MD and Portland, OR have city-wide wifi. Pretty cool. Have no idea of the cost of service but I'd think it has to be less than cost of a data contract, etc...otherwise why do it?

Anyone know more about this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones